Avira 9 Premium or Free version

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by buckshee, Mar 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buckshee

buckshee Registered Member

I have been using the paid version of Avira for the last few years because of added anti-malware (especially) and faster updates etc. Vut with the new free version which includes the anti-malware I wonder if there is any point in paying for the personal/premium version.
    I never could use the mail guard as my server uses secure POP3 and SMTP and I found that the Webguard would sometimes prevent or severely slow down web page loading.

Any comments

2. Waterfox

Waterfox Registered Member

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Unless you are on a slow connection, the new Personnel is more than adequate.

And the splash screen can be disabled .

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I have the premium version on one machine and the personal on another. With the premium i have uninstalled the webguard and the mailguard, useless IMO as the main Guard will catch anything eventually, I use Gmail, and browse always virtualized.

I paid for the Premium more as a way to support a company that has been steadily improving their products through the past few years.

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I use the free version on my netbook & Premium on my desktop.

For the free version, I block the nag screen (avnotify.exe) with my HIPS -- I use Online Armor on my netbook, but any classical HIPS can be readily configured to do the blocking job.

6. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

Can you set up interval updates with the free version? The lack of anti-spyware definitions and interval update scheduling made me pay up for the premium version.

I'm curious if the WebGuard drive-by protection more hype or a preventive cure? I haven't had any slowdowns with Pandora and Slacker Radio since the newest release.

7. Arup

Arup Guest

The latest webguard checks for phishing, malware and embeded iframe hacks among other things, its not a gimmick by any chance but the personal one is fine as well, even without webguard, it has the same level of detection as its premium version. The webguard just stops malware in pipeline whereas in the personal edition, it would stop once its in the system.

8. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

yep, CIS Defense+ does the same trick

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Any opinion on the AV detection READ? which is like an advanced interceptor IMO. I know AVASTS! even free version is swifty quick when opening a folder with a potential be it Heuristics or siggy detection whereas others are not so spontaneous.

How is Avira's READ detections in your opinion? I do find it's detections more frequent then my NOD AV by a country mile and that has me concerned as we run thru this rotation of AV's and settle on those that are more responsive.

EASTER

10. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

I don't have a malware collection but from anything it's ever found, the read detections are pretty quick...

11. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I'm not currently using AntiVir but I think you can set up multiple daily update jobs with the free version, each scheduled to run at a different time of the day, which hopefully should do the trick. As AntiVir Personal 9 includes anti-spyware, it may be good enough if you don't need the extra features in AntiVir Premium.

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks Thug21

I have to admit all these AV's are making me dizzy with the different new approaches and improvements they are all working on to compete for the majority audience.

I am thrilled with Avira 9 but i can just as well be thrilled with any others too since i'm slowly migrating back into the flow of AV's after a very successful stint with HIPS, chiefly SSM then EQS.
    I shutter at the possibility of a targetted virus blasting any HIPS and bringing it to nill whereas if a quality well functioning and ambitious AV is in place, that threat might could be neutralized before taking a bite of some of these security apps.
    I always been aware of the dangers a well conceived virus can do to bring a Windows machine to a complete standstill or worse. And although theres now Virtual Systems and such, my present day motive is to forego those protections as good as they are and impliment a combo of a sharp AV teamed with a reliable HIPS, and i don't mean a Suite that includes a HIPS but a single HIPS with ruleset protection whitelists/blacklists and perhaps a behavioral blocker to round out a more shortened but formidable defense set up.

Which brings me back to Avira 9 again. Good to hear it has excellent sensitive sensory responses on READS first which can serve to stave off a potential new threat as they become more prevalent as usual.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.