AVIRA 8 Release Notes - Now released!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Tommy, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nike_P

Nike_P Registered Member

Re: AVIRA 8 Release Note

GUI and all that c=)
    i want to know if i can get better protection against all nasties out there,
    i just want to know if they have improved the detection rate, does anyone know some info about it?

2. mnosteele

mnosteele Registered Member

It's a new scanning engine so I would assume that there are some improvements.

:)

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Let me see if I can clear some things up since the beta is over. Yes is the answer, but let me walk you through the development of the beta.

This was the intital phase. Beta 1

### Beta 1 ###
    * ADD: New engine AVE2 has been added. AVE2 has been completely rewritten and
    offers the following features: - Modular design: the engine consists of the
    following files: avcore.dll, avemu.dll, avgen.dll, avhelp.dll, avheur.dll,
    avoffice.dll, avpack.dll, avrdl.dll, avscn.dll, avscript.dll, avvdf.dll,
    avset.dll - New engine should increase overall scan performance about 10%
    * ADD: firewall templates. These templates should now allow to easily add
    special exclusions (e.g. VPN connections) to the firewall

This was Beta 2

### Beta 2 ###
    * FIX: bug in tray icon handling for firewall
    * FIX: problem in AVGuard with malware detection
    * FIX: crash in Notifier
    * ADD: better 64bit support or Vista and XP64
    * FIX: some bugs in AVE2 causing performance gaps

This was Beta 3

### Beta 3 ###
    * FIX: Issues with overlapping heuristic/generic detections in some cases
    * FIX: Issues in handling of temporary files resulted in more files being
    generated than absolutely necessary.
    * ADD: Added support for several new runtime packers to AVE2
    * FIX: Removed heuristic false positives to AVE2
    * ADD: Added most recent heuristic rules to AVE2
    * FIX: Guard crashes unexpectedly on x64
    * FIX: Mailguard can not handle AUTH NTLM with Microsoft Mail services
    * FIX: Removed multiple adapters in the FW GUI configuration window
    * FIX: Parse of command line in 64 Bit impersonation

And this was Beta 4

### Beta 4 ###
    * ADD: Renamed engine files av*.dll files to ae*.dll
    * FIX: Fixed False Positive HTML/Exploit.HTML
    * ADD: Generic detections of web-based malware
    * ADD: New AntiVir 8 style graphical user interface. The new GUI features
    groups and a more modern look and feel at all.
    * ADD: WebGuard now supports a WebCategorizer ("WebCat") and allows blocking
    of unwanted URLs. WebGuard supports only category 'Phishing' right now.
    * ADD: WebGuard now provides a small download manager (slide up from system
    tray). This should solve issues where users do not know if their request is
    being processed.
    * FIX: Timeout prevention in WebGuard has been improved. Users now should see
    the SaveAs dialog much faster.
    * ADD: MailGuard now supports scanning of outgoing emails. Please note that
    SSL and TLS encrypted connections are not supported for obvious reasons.
    * ADD: MailGuard has an internal Anti-MailBot detection included.
    When correctly configured, this feature prevents other programs from sending
    emails in user's name without the user's acknowledgement.
    * ADD: Firewall templates now allow a simple and easy definition of exclusions
    for specific tasks.
    * ADD: Improved leak detection inside Firewall
    * ADD: Firewall reduced the number of popup messages by automatically allowing
    known software manufacturers
    * ADD: Integrated Backup solution allows backup of personal data to mass
    storage devices like USB hard disks, etc.
    * ADD: System now allows differentiating between 'Detection updates' (this
    updates all files which are essential for malware detection only) and
    product updates. Detection updates are always loaded, product updates only
    on demand (optionally)
    * ADD: support for more languages. AntiVir is now available in the following
    anguages: German, English, Russian, Italian, Spanish and French. Note that
    the Classic Edition will NOT be available in all languages.
    * ADD: Setup now allows some configuration of basic Firewall settings
    * ADD: AntiSpam has an automatic self training mode which will improve
    detection ratio and reduce false positives.
    * ADD: reduced the memory footprint of Control Center and trayicon
    * FIX: various crashes in Control Center
    * ADD: The firewall supports activation/deactivation of the rules for each
    adapter
    * FIX: improved Outlook and Outlook Express address books import

As you can see it took 4 stages and all, went very well. The suite and the AV are top of the line products and those who already own will be very pleased. And those who dont, well, will be I think in a short time. I am very pleased with what they have done and it does pack a powerful punch.

4. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Thank goodness I don't work around venomous snakes or I'd be dead. LOL. I didn't even see that post. Thanks rolarocka. It looks nice.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  5. Nike_P

Nike_P Registered Member

what have they improved and added on the FREE avira version?

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

the main thing I recall is the upgraded engine which in reality, all that counts isnt it.;)

7. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

Unless you are one of those people that happen to like even more umbrellas in the GUI. ;)

I know I do. ;)

Nike_P,
    I don't think the free version will have any more features. It will have the new engine, just like the paid one, though.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  8. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Avira already has maybe the best protection around. ;) See all tests available: VB, av-comparatives, av-test.

9. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

It has good detection with a fair amount of false positives. Let's hope this new engine helps address this issue.

10. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Actually it has great detection with a small number of false positives. I have never had an Avira FP in two years of use. My view is that real-world experience produces very few or no FPs, contrary to what some tests show.

11. Boost

Boost Registered Member

I have everything set to High and do not have false positives :cool:

12. alloucho

alloucho Registered Member

The only big problem of avira antivir is his weakness in malware desinfection.:doubt:

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I think after this week, you need to replace the word "is" with "was".;)

14. Bunkhouse Buck

Exactly my experience.

15. Bunkhouse Buck

Many AVs have that problem, but I am sure improvement will be forthcoming in Avira and the rest as well. After all, detection is most important, but you have to be able to remove the malware as well for it to be integrated properly.

16. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Is the new version lighter on system resources? Whats your experiences with the beta?

17. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

I never had such a problem that I remember of.Avira always cleaned everything just fine here.Every time Avira found,and cleaned, stuff I ran a scan with SAS and also with other online services. Not 1 leftover.

18. Waterfox

Waterfox Registered Member

Well, I don't know if it's even possible to make it any lighter than it already is.
    Current version is by far the lightest AV I've ever had on my system (windows xp sp2) and I've tried many, believe me. :)

19. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Yes the current is lightweight. But new pretty GUIs allways slows things down for me thats why asked about the beta.

20. Bunkhouse Buck

On my laptop, I have tested the Avira Beta and it is fast- but not as fast as the latest Eset Smart Security (build 3.0.650.0) in terms of opening files, web pages, etc. Both are good choices, but as I said on my machine, Eset is about 20% faster.

21. Bunkhouse Buck

About the same as the old version on my machine. On demand scanner is a little faster.

22. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Thank you. Good to hear.

23. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

I just hope that the M$ updates don't mess around with what would probrably be a decent upgrade that's all.:oops: Thanks Buck it sounds like it's as fast as v7.:thumb:

24. hamesh

hamesh Registered Member

Just got an email from Avira

Welcome to the release change newsletter from Avira. Read the new functionalities and features the new version has. The version change will take place on Tuesday, 8 April 2008.

AVIRA ANTIVIR DESKTOP SOLUTIONS FOR WINDOWS

The Avira release for Q1-2008 centers round the Avira AntiVir desktop solutions for Windows.

The products that belong to this product family (and the corresponding UNIX products) will be released with new
    names. The target group for the respective product can be directly read from its product name:

The Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic becomes the Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus, Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Premium becomes the Avira AntiVir Premium and the Avira AntiVir Workstation becomes the Avira AntiVir Professional. Only the Avira Premium Security Suite keeps its name.

All Avira AntiVir desktop products for Windows have a new user interface. A new, vertical navigation structure groups the individual modules under a few main categories making it easier to find the way around the program. 3D effects let the actual information come forward more clearly and distinctly. The new version number 8 of the released products signals that a lot of things have been changed, not only on the surface but also "beneath the hood".

All Avira AntiVir Desktop products for Windows are released with a new, modularized AV-search engine that speeds up the scan performance by around 20 %. The new engine can be updated by a single file update. The updates are smaller and we are able to protect your system against new threats much quicker.

All Windows desktop products allow a separate update of the product. This product update can be performed independently from the engine and VDF update. As soon as a new product update is available the user will be informed through the taskbar slide-up.

Also new is the integrated failsafe-system that makes sure there is always a working set of engine and VDF available so that the PC is never without a virus and malware detection solution.

The AntiVir MailGuard now supports SMTP, i.e. the MailGuard now can not only scan incoming but also outgoing emails for infections.

Avira AntiVir Premium and Avira AntiVir Professional are delivered with the integrated WebGuard. WebGuard scans HTTP websites and blocks infected sites automatically. It provides excellent protection against, so called, drive-by downloads. It automatically blocks known phishing and malware websites.

The Avira Premium Security Suite's new version is more comprehensive and rounded: a new backup module allows easy and quick backup of data using predefined backup profiles. The size and destination of the backup can be individually configured and backups can be performed using the scheduler. The integrated firewall is easier to use and allows permitting signed applications as an option.

All AV 8 products that require a fee now support download and burn a Rescue CD directly from the product. The Rescue CD is based on the Avira AntiVir Rescue System that is updated sev eral times a day which allows the booting of a computer after a crash.

The new version 8 supports the Microsoft Windows Vista SP 1 that has just been released.

AVIRA SECURITY MANAGEMENT CENTER

With the Q1-2008 release Avira continues to optimize the SMC for use in large enterprise security
    infrastructures.

The structure of the event database has been unified and enhanced. The SMC event database now defines in which situation the products send which events and how these events are structured. The structure of the event database has been published to allow the creation of individual reports using external reporting tools.

In the new version events are generated language independent, so that the SMC now fulfills the requirements to be used in mixed language networks.

Managing larger security environments can lead to considerable network traffic. Therefore it is now possible to configure the SMC agent to only transmit certain types of events to the SMC server, keeping network traffic to a minimum.

The new "search computer" feature simplifies the administration as it allow s the finding of single PCs or whole groups of PCs. It is possible to get a quick and targeted view of the security situation in certain sections of the network.

AVIRA INTERNET UPDATE MANAGER

The Internet Update Manager is a free-of-charge Avira tool that allows the mirroring of updates for all Avira security products locally. A new version of the Avira Internet Update Manager will be released a couple of weeks after the Q1 release. The new version is based on the Internet Update Manager that's part of the SMC and offers among other things a powerful webserver to distribute updates. Please note that an update from the old version of the IUM to the new one is not possible.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  25. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

They still call it "search engine" rather than "scan engine"...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.