AVIRA 8 Release Notes - Now released!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Tommy, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

I've had no problems whatsoever with the webguard, in fact I don't notice it's there at all. Although I do see the same thing as mfenech at speedtest.net, ie reported d/l speeds way too high (this doesn't bother me though ;))

2. osip

osip Registered Member

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Many conflicting posts.

It appears that if the WebGuard is installed, selecting Update and changing the option to " Do not download product updates" AND uninstalling the WebGuard seems to solve the majority of the problems. Although a simple uninstall worked here.

Unfortunately I had to remove the WebGuard as it slowed my machine down too much on dial-up.

4. FRug

FRug Registered Member

Mele: The files of webguard are ALWAYS in your directory, whether you do a fresh install or not. It doesn't matter whether the files are there, what matters is whether they are 'activated' during installation or not. If they weren't always there it would be impossible to enable/disable features after installation.

What i wonder is whether you have process guard running during your setup changes (install / uninstall of features). That can seriously mess things up for such software.

5. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Mele,

What AV are you going to use now that Avira 8 is so problematic for you?

6. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

The last time I installed it I keep getting a print spooler error :thumbd: I've tried to install different antiviruses over the years and this was the first one that I couldn't get working.They even told me to turn off winpatrol.This computer i'm using here is only 2 months old!There's either a bad bug in my new Dell or with Avira.The strange thing is not everyone had problems with this.I couldn't even get the free version working either.I guess i'm one of the ones that's wasn't so fortunate this time.I've installed Avast Pro with no probs at all.I hope this problem gets solved soon.I might try this again on my son's XP later to see what happens.

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

the print spooler error deals with DEP in Vista. After investigation I changed my settings. I have seen this happen before with different softwares.

8. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

I go for the 'raving lunatic' and I think he/she should ban any AV completely or try a clean install of Windows and I bet that the sun will shine again.

9. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

From V7 to V8 and still working perfect for me on vista:thumb:

10. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Version 8 working great here as well on Windows XP with WebGuard installed. I also have Mamutu running and Windows Firewall enabled with no PC or browser slowdowns. I hope some people can get their Avira problems worked out. It seems for most to be a very good program.

11. Dark Shadow

Mele,No Offense but If I remember seing some where in past threads, are you not still using XP service pack 1? If So do you think that can be a factor of some of your software issues.

12. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

for someone who obviously has issues and concerns regarding security to not install latest service packs, seems rather foolish.

I think the majority of people are now regarding such comments as bashing and worthless, due to constant negative comments, I don't believe ive ever seen something good to be said.

If its not complaining about Avira, it is Kaspersky, if not them, someone else... Including Drweb.

Harsh words, but if you have constant complaints, maybe you should sell your computer and be rid of all problems and concerns.

If you certainly don't like an antivirus, I don't even understand the purchase.

13. Dark Shadow

14. Solaris

Solaris Registered Member

:thumb: :D. Yeeees !

15. Dark Shadow

what the heck happen on my reply :doubt:

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

ok, what needed to be said is said. Lets get this one back on Avira. please.;)

17. Dark Shadow

what do you folks think the heuristics should be set at Default medium any suggestions.

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I set all of mine at high with no issues. I think Buck does to.

19. Dark Shadow

great thanks,I will to then:thumb:

20. mfenech

mfenech Registered Member

Thanks, mele and blackcat. I'll reboot and see if that sticks.

21. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Not a single problem with Avira Premium Security Suite here :cautious: and there wouldnt be a problem for any of you buggers If you left it alone and didnt fiddle with what you dont know about :shifty: :shifty: :p

22. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Yup- high on every friggin' setting and have been that way for three years with no problems. Got my first FP yesterday, and no big deal. Had many with Dr. Web and F-Protect. FPs in Avira much overstated.

23. Boost

Boost Registered Member

High is all I use :thumb:

24. The_Duality

The_Duality Registered Member

5th time now that the Guard Service has failed... :cautious:

Nothing in event logs, or in Avira report files. I can't seem to be able to find a common denominator for these failures...

25. Wake2

Wake2 Registered Member

I had used Avira free version few years back, and uninstalled it due to problems with the updater, but downloaded the new
    version 8 and wow I am impressed, so far no problems at all,
    but now for the dilemma should I buy the Av or the Suite.

Wake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.