AVIRA 8 Release Notes - Now released!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Tommy, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Couldn't say it better myself ;)

2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Most?.....maybe......mine.......no.
    I did a complete uninstall,shut everything else down and reinstall.
    Downloaded quick, durring install comp did an unexpected reboot then ckdisc did its thing. After windows started up my desktop had an icon for Avira but it did not look right,kinda blank.It was only partly installed.
    So I did a roll back and put Avast on instead.

3. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Just done a scan which was quite fast although the GUI does not reflect the fact that I have done one. Also did a manual definitions update this afternoon, no problems, everything running well.

In the scan avira gave this warning......

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\ZAS99JKD\iv_nt86[1].exe
    [WARNING] No further files can be extracted from this archive. The archive will be closed

Has anyone any idea what this is? The nearest I could get to with google was CA associates (which I did have on quite a few years ago.)

http://www.prevx.com/filenames/X2081005313078962174-0/IV_NT86.EXE.html

4. Macstorm

did you use a good registry cleaner in between installs? mine finds hundreds of broken keys after uninstallations.

5. LoneWolf

Yes I did

6. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

This is strange because I have similar problems, cannot install Antivir 8.0 at all. I did post on their Forum but so far all the suggestions did not help.

7. KoRnGtL15

KoRnGtL15 Registered Member

Trouble in paradise. I noticed my internet speed took a massive hit. Disabled webguard and my speeds are back to normal. Never had this problem before. I done a direct upgrade. Noticed it was slow. Then I done a clean install. Noticed my internet was still slow. Disabled webguard as stated. We are back to normal speeds. Never had this problem with Avira 7 either. This is a webguard issue. This reminds me of the comodo firewall deal awile back. It hosed peoples connection. But, they did fix it. I know its a completely different product. But, this could be the case with Avira. I will leave it disabled and keep my eyes peeled for a possible fix.

8. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

After having used AVG 8 and more recently Avast 4.8. I have to say Avira Premium so far seems to have the better Web Guard as far as Internet speeds. With AVG the slow downs were for the most part much more noticeable, but with Avast I actually would have to say it was extremely close. I did however, feel a general overall PC slowdown with Avast when compared to Avira. With Avira all my programs open fast including Firefox, and I'm very happy with the product. Coming from an habitual security program user, I am going on record as saying Avira will now remain my choice of Antivirus.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  9. Macstorm

Then it's obvious that something is conflicting in your system. Don't blame it on Avira ;)

10. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

Has anyone else had troubles with Avira P.E Premium8 and Sandboxie. I have installed Avira8 on 2 computers,one on top of version 7,one on pc with nod (nearly expired ) Sandboxie fails to load on both computers.Stop Avira from startup ,all ok.The only workaround I have found,is to delay startup of Avira,using WinPatrol by 30 seconds.Have re-installed both programs,to no avail.Someone posted a similar problem with Avira and SB last year,so its not all down to V8.

11. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

See the screenshot

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  12. waters

waters Registered Member

I am only running antivir and vista firewall and guess what,it runs great.I wonder why

13. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

I bet, that using these so called 'good' registry cleaners do more harm than most will admit. It seems great to have some registry cleaner do the work for you, but believe me, most of them do more harm in deleting more, than they should.
    I have tested a few and after cleaning the registry a few times, I couldn't even re-install some programs at all.
    A lot of people think it's handy, that a piece of software cleans up the rubbish, but after using it for a while, you can notice, that more and more is missing and then, when installing new software......a lot won't work properly, as you can read here.

My policy......install and uninstall and re-install etc. and remove by hand what you can find and what you know of........and after so many months......do a clean re-install of Windows or put an image back. After a clean install of Windows, with the most used programs, use an image program to make an image and whenever your OS is all cluttered or whatever, put your image back and you're back in business within 10 minutes!

Same story for installing new software.......make an image and if there's something sour, put your good working image back and that's it.

14. The_Duality

The_Duality Registered Member

Doing a reinstall now - Guard service just died a second time. :(

This is on Win Vista SP1. System was idle - running only Firefox and ModernRCON (A java application I use to remote administer my Call of Duty 4 servers).

:doubt:

15. fatex

fatex Registered Member

WebGuard slowed my web browsing to a crawl... antivir 7 with no webguard was fine! they need to fix the bugs!!!!!!!!:thumbd:

16. LoneWolf

Good assumption :rolleyes:

When did I say that o_O
    Read again.

17. Macstorm

Thank god it's not my case.
    There will be no harm if you choose the right tool/app for this task and if you know what you're doing with it :)

18. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

That's what it is all about........'choose the right tool' and 'know what you're doing'.
    Most cleaners suggest to do all this automatic, but that's where the trouble starts. Some use 'Green' selections, meaning they're safe to delete.......but my goodness, just look at these selections and you'll see things, that never should be deleted.

19. KoRnGtL15

KoRnGtL15 Registered Member

Webguard is a persistant little bugga! As I said earlier. With it on. My internet speed takes a good hit. With it off. Its fine. Problem is. When I reboot. That damn webguard is enabled again! So, I uninstalled Avira. Once again. Then chose custom install. Installed every thing accept webguard. Things are back to normal.

20. Macstorm

Sorry, i didn't mean that exactly.

When i said that 'something is conflicting..' or 'don't blame it..'..i meant..ermm.. take a look around, thousands of happy avira v.8 users out there...all of them running it flawlessly.

There's always the avira forum, if you are resolved to fix your 'issues' (?) with this AV, of course.

21. Macstorm

Can't say for others but mine at least offers 'normal' (my preferred) and 'advanced' options for the cleaning. It has never let me down :cool:

22. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Thank you. To bad it's still there. :doubt:

23. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

I don't think registry issues can be the cause for a program turning your system to a crawl.

A messed up registry would cause errors to pop-up every now and then, missing buttons on applications, malformed GUI applications, folders not opening, icons and items appearing on desktop with strange names that cannot be deleted etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong!

24. Macstorm

Of course not. However a poorly maintained registry can severely degrade the overall performance of your pc and prevent programs from running/installing properly.

25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I have done a little testing today about the web scanner. One thing some of you may want to try is disabling other programs. I found with ShadowDefender, my web scanning did go down while in shadow mode. Out of shadowmode, it was very quick. So for me Avira stays.;)

But you might just want to try stuff like this to see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.