AVIRA 8 Release Notes - Now released!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Tommy, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I do find it a pity that I cannot put ports at programs. uTorrent for instance needs it and Avira has no possibility for it. And on their forum it seems that the Avira people find that quite normal. I think that every firewall should have the option to change ports for programs that need it.

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Let me add a few thoughts here.

One, no matter how hard a company tries, you folks are right, some setups just will not take. Be it on the vendor or customers side, it is just a reality. The best recourse is to always visit the vendors own forum, if they have one, or submit a support ticket with your issues and/or concerns. Sometimes things will happen, sometimes not.

Also, there was some criticism in the past of how Avira beta tests their software. Some stated it wasn’t opened enough, others stated more testing was needed. Avira has a enrollment page for any who ever wish to join. No, it won’t be like some where you just download a key and walla. Avira pulled this release at the last moment due to what was discovered. Some gave them heat for not finding the issue sooner.

The way I see it or the way I know it, Avira does not give its beta testers a raw product. For the most part it is very polished. Yes, things are found, and if you check back in this thread you will see where I posted the 4 phases of the beta and how they progressed.

All this leads me to say, that between Avira staff and the beta testers, a solid and superb product was delivered. Is it perfect on every machine? No and never will be. But you need to follow through with what I outlined above on hopefully getting your issue resolved so you can use it to its full potential.

Anyway, I aint tooting my own horn as I contributed very little. The quality and expertise of their beta testers has left me sitting in the dust on my own testing capibilities.:cautious:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  3. 031

031 Registered Member

The free version is working just fine . Seems to be a stable release . Thanks to avira and all the beta testers :thumb:

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I have a totally crippled IE6 and all other browsers are also completely crippled by Avira 8. IE6 cannot load any pages with Avira installed. Fx, Opera and Safari load each page on any website forever. I have to force them to stop loading a page.

I had not opened IE until a few minutes ago since installing a downloaded Avira 8 and doing a custom install. I did not have these problems with the internally upgraded Avira 8. I have the feeling this is because I declined the install of Webguard. The internally upgraded Avira 8 has webguard even if you decline it ...the files are all in the Avira folder. But a custom install where you decline the module...no Webguard files are installed.

Maybe it is some other problem, but I had no problems with surfing with the internally upgraded Avira 8 but I had webguard wanting to run. I downloaded Avira 8 from Avira about an hour ago, uninstalled the internally upgraded version, then installed the new one as a custom install and wham! horrible problems with surfing.

I uninstalled Avira and surfing is normal again. IE works perfectly and no browser loads any page forever.

So, lets don't wax poetic about how magnificent this Avira 8 is. I've been helping folks all evening in the Avira forum who are having problems...especially problems with Webguard. .

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

yes mele, you are the great savior.:cautious:

One thing to remember is, everyone descriptive measuring stick of perfection, great,good, bad or terrible is completely different. What seems green to one, may be blue to another. What appears to be sour grapes to one turns out to be ripen orange to another. So I only reflect in my thoughts mele, what I envision from all of this. Nuff said, I will let you go back to helping others as you so eloquently put it.

6. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Hmm...seems to me that even you would agree that not being able to browse with Avira 8 installed is bad.

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Cant argue that one. But again it doesnt apply to all or even many. But it is an issue that needs rectification.

8. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

For the first time since version 6, it seems the free version upgraded flawlessly for most and the pay version has the issues. If web-guard has any issues (like the root-kit scanner) I know I'd find'em.....

9. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Like I said before......just wonder how good your current installtion of Windows is. All this sounds to me, that you're missing quite a few system files, maybe deleted by some regsitry cleaner.
    Ofcourse I'm not sure if you're using a registry cleaner, but these complaints point that way.

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

yes mele, it isnt like you have never deleted any important Avira system files. You might want to process this.;)

11. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

At first, I thought everything was ok with the new security suite. I too was a beta tester and noticed at that time that some images/web pages in Firefox loaded slowly or not at all. Same problem now. Of course, it is my system. But as someone that has used computers since 1969, if I cannot get the program to work properly, I can deduce from that that many others are having the same (or worse) experience.

I uninstalled Avira and back to Dr. Web. No such problem with the good Dr.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  12. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Well decieded not to wait any longer and install Avira 8.
    Did not go so well. Did not install. V7 worked flawlessly and 8 not at all.
    Oh well I'm sure its something in perticular to do with my system
    No matter, I went back to Avast and it installed and is running great.

13. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Can anyone comfirm if the ad in the free version is removed in the new release? Or does it still beg you to buy the paid version, on boot?

14. ola nordmann

ola nordmann Registered Member

I have two questions regarding Avira v8:

#1 Will an installation of v7 automatically be upgraded to v8? And do you get a question first, so that you can hold it back if you would rather continue to use v7 for a while.

#2 I have always liked Avira because of low memory usage, and it works great on old computers. Is v8 lightweight like v7?

15. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

My version 7 upgraded automatically to version 8. The only thing that didn't start up automatically was the WebGuard, but I did get a popup on reboot asking me if I wanted to install it (it can also be disabled once installed).

I use IE7, Firefox 2, and Seamonkey interchangeably as browsers- all of which perform as before; no faster, certainly no slower. As to RAM use, it seems about the same- 3 modules (avgnt, avguard, and sched) taking up ~12,000K combined on my computer.

Although I'm sorry for the folks with the problems, for me the new version is wonderful. Among the highest in detection, the lowest in resource use, and lowest in intrusiveness.

16. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

I am 100% with you here.

17. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Working very well here. No problems with Opera 9.27 and IE7, but then I
    upgraded via update and did not opt to install Web Guard (because I
    use Proxomitron). Full system scan is about 2 mins. faster and runs very
    light.
    However I would like to know whether the slide-up offering either install
    or cancel for the Web Guard will appear ad infinitum if one opts for cancel.
    The slide-up appears after reboot. I have rebooted 2x since install and
    it appeared both times. 'Cancel' doesn't seem to be remembered.

18. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Why not install it then disable it on the main GUI? May be less aggravation now, and it would be there if you ever changed your mind in the future.

19. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Re: AVIRA 8 Release Note

Wise guy :thumb:

20. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Re: AVIRA 8 Release Note

yep, im a Firefox fan but always seem to be going back to IE.

simply because, things work as they should.

when my new laptop arrives, i might just go back to IE completely.

21. waters

waters Registered Member

If i have a file in quarentine,how do i send it to virus total

22. Diver

Diver Registered Member

If IE or any other browser does not work, chances are the firewall is not allowing it to connect out on port 44080 TCP. Its not unusual for the ultra paranoid limit IE to ports 80 and 443.

As usual the bashing and whining goes on, and the whiners wind up a few hours later saying they fixed the problem with some simple thing like a reboot.

Anyone who has lots of active security software should expect their systems to be buggy. The best security comes from OS hardening such as DEP, LUA and SRP.

23. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I like Avira 8, after I downloaded the update and installed the update I rebooted nothing about the webguard so I rebooted again this time I got the dialog about installing the webguard..but the words install or cancel on teh GUI was in german..thr rest in english..odd. The manual update is faster.

24. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

As always, I think most problems seen here are due to upgrading over the previous build :cautious:

25. mllopes

mllopes Registered Member

Well, i have installed Avira for the first time in my computer and of course version 8.
    No indication of reboot needed, no information about webguard nothing,
    Still i have rebooted anyway and everything is working flawless:)
    It is working alongside with OA with intercept loopback interface checked

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.