Avira 2013

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by darts, Sep 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

great! will give avira a whirl soon..hopefully I wouldnt have to repent for it again :oops:

2. Amin

Amin Registered Member

yeah.... it's great.

but where are Avira protection cloud settings ? I have Avira IS 2013... does it have any cloud protection at all ?

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Not accurate. The slow down in web vrowsing is still there. I can open my browser and the first 3 or 4 sites i go to are very quick, then the hour glass spins trying to move to others. Renove webguard and there is no slowdown period no matter how many sites i visit.

Also, if I use the suite this behavior does not show up. Only with the paid av.

4. avman1995

What?? you mean it happens with the free and not with the paid?? :thumbd:

5. darts

darts Registered Member

Do you all installed the toolbar or not because i don't know what too do if i do need too install it or not.

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

what r u talking about. The web module isnt even in the free.

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

did not install toolbar

8. Amin

Amin Registered Member

Seriously , i feel no slowness on web browsing.
    i didn't install toolbars while installation Avira IS 2013 ( i unchecked two checkboxes )

it would be better if every one try it for oneself.

9. GmG

GmG Registered Member

Configuration (Expert Mode)
    General -> Advanced Protection -> Protection Cloud

Scan
    System Scanner -> Quick system scan

10. Amin

Amin Registered Member

thank you. :)

11. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It must be machine related as I had slowdowns with version 2010 and 2012, but for the first time no slowdowns with the 2013 premium version. ProActiv is also not affecting performance as in the past. I think Avira has finally got rid of most of its transitional problems.

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'm not 100% sure, but you can have the web guard module with the free version as long as you install the toolbar. With the premium it is optional.

13. Amin

Amin Registered Member

yeah exactly.. 2013 is way better than its predecessor. :thumb:
    web protection's healed :argh:

14. darts

darts Registered Member

What does this toolbar do then does it give you a lot of extra saftety??

15. avman1995

Nope! Web Filter still slows me down..So I removed it and I am just now with its real time and it works great!

Also,I noticed that the web filter in free doesnt have a URL blocker it is like avast! web shield.So,its no use installing web protection in free as it is just a web shield working on basis of signatures and not a URL blocker.You get a URL blocker in the Avira paid versions.:cool:

And you need to choose custom install to set avira to safe start with express install it does a normal start.

16. zerotox

zerotox Registered Member

Unfortunately the slowdown won't disappear until the Web-guard is redesigned and the principle on which it is founded changes. Until it makes all the http traffic go through it and caches every download it its entirety, version change won't help or change things much.

17. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Says who? It doesn't work for you, and it works for me, go figure your generalizations...

18. zerotox

And your download manager gives you the correct times and when measuring your speed - it gives you the correct readings? And all complaints at their forum from various users, OS and scenarios? I don't deny that for some it works better than for others. I think though if they don't want to explain countless times on and on why your download manager gives incorrect times and advise you to get a stop-watch to measure, they have to do something. Plus are you sure that even you when you visit graphics intensive web pages, Avira does not slow down, caching the large images first?

19. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

As I said in my reply to trjam it could be machine related. Version 2013 is as fast on my computer as if it weren't there, and I have had most versions of Avira on demand because they used to slow down my browsing too much. I'm only reporting my experience, but to say that there are people complaining at their forum, it is business as usual for all vendors.

20. zerotox

I see, thank you. I didn't mean to doubt your experience.

21. Amin

Amin Registered Member

for those who still facing net slowness:

try net browsing using secure protocols (such as socks and Https) and see if it's still the same.
    let me know.

22. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

No problems, you are welcome.

23. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Is it true that the avira engine has been incorparated into kingsoft free antiviruso_O
    Any clarification on this please.:thumb:

24. Amin

Amin Registered Member

25. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

well looks like ill have to drop avira, causing the sleep issue and random bsods now on TWO different machines. both only have win7 x64 in common and nothing hardware wise. i have tried literally everything replaced all hardware that was able to be placed if i uninstall avira all works fine without bsod and without errors in the event viewer from it.

stinks because i really like it and the same exact system with ess v6 installed is working just fine same for avast tested both it has to be something from avira causing this. and already bought my lic's now.

im really hoping this could be figured out as i really want to use it.. but im at a loss now and battled this for 2+ weeks

i dont know if it could be a setting in avira the only things changed are during install when it asks you the type of things to select i choose everything except games. could that be causing a issue?? hopefully stefan or someone can please chime in i did send you a couple pm's as well as the other person you had contact me to upload the file he asked me for and i could not upload it and sent a few pms with no response back. please respond someone?? i really want to run this but as of now i have had to remove it and install something else.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.