Avira 2013

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by darts, Sep 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

guest, I found the bug also while doing tests on AV13 before release. The bug is already fixed AFAIK, but the build containing the fix is not yet released. Will be out with some of the next patches.

The reason for that bug is the self protection.

2. Amin

Amin Registered Member

hi Stefan,

I have an important question.

sometimes when i insert a USB stick ( containing malwares ) Avira or other security suits detect the malwares.. but can not remove the threats.. and mostly it asks me to restart the com.. this happened with kaspersky and emsisoft and avira of course.. but interestingly NOD32 could remove the threats easily.

and also you should know that my com was not infected itself ( i mean if you probably will remind me that my system is infected itself and the malwares are in process , thus can not be deleted without closing the api handlers first )

so why is that? isn't it probably because the malwares are undeletable ? i mean like undeletable autorun.inf on USB Sticks

thanks.

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i saw this on one occasion as well but for me it popped up i selected remove then it popped up again i selected remove and again and again finally i just went and deleted that file.

4. Stefan Kurtzhals

Amin, was the stick write-locked by chance? Avira recommends a reboot for removal if it fails to delete/write the detected file.

5. Amin

Amin Registered Member

Actually i'm not quite sure.. i considered that..

i don't exactly know how they create undeletable data on usb sticks.. but i know we can create undeletable autorun.inf on sticks.. i think they take advantages of the windows bug in NameSpace and file naming system..
    for example that's not impossible to create a folder named "CON".

just open a command line and type :
    Code:
    mkdir .\con\
    this should create a undeletable folder named CON... u can not delete it using Windows NT interface.. but u may want to delete it using command line.

and also like this :
    Code:
    mkdir .\folder..\
    anyways.. what if those malwares were created by this method ??
    Is this bug defined for Avira ?

thanks again.:thumb:

6. Stefan Kurtzhals

Some sticks have a switch to make them read-only, maybe this is one of these?

I don't think that those special names were involved. Anyway, Avira would switch to low level NTFS access if normal API fail to clean/remove a malware file. The Avira library shouldn't be affected by that special name problem.

7. Amin

Amin Registered Member

no it has no switch.
    ahahh.. now i know.

and as the last question.. is it true that some malwares can make the stick write-protected ? such as funny.exe malware..

thank you dear Stefan.
    i like your signature btw.:D

8. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Subsequent scan (scheduled) took maybe 10 minutes less than the first one. I know you said its the same as 2012 but in my case, its taking longer.

Memory usage is also higher in this new version. I would expect this however with the new added features. However, would like to see you guys trim this down a bit.

Still have not had a chance to throw malware at it yet but I know you guys do well in this regard, so not too worried at this point.

Installed it on another machine and am a bit surprised you guys included the toolbar in the paid version. If you want to add this for the free one, go for it. If people don't want the toolbar then they can choose another product. However to have this (even as an option) in the paid version is not very good imho.

9. zfactor

100% agree about the toolbar

10. m0unds

m0unds Guest

me too. i appreciate that i can decline to install the toolbar, but i don't think that sort of stuff is acceptable in a paid product (especially when ask.com is involved). do whatever you want to monetize your free version or entice users to pay for the software, but leave paying customers out of it.

11. ziaul

ziaul Registered Member

200% agree about the toolbar. :thumbd:

Ziaul

12. zfactor

other than that i am very happy at the moment and i believe i got the sleep issue resolved. seems for whatever reason changing the sleep time from 30 to 45 min i now have yet to have a black screen or bsod and i have zero idea why this fixed it. but so far since that change not one bsod.

13. m0unds

m0unds Guest

good luck. i hate random bsods.

14. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I would like to know what the official benefits of having the toolbar are claimed to be.

15. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

As per their website: link (under Advantages - Internet Protection)

*Browser Tracking Blocker: Stops web trackers from recording your activities.
    *Website Safety Advisor: Rates the safety of all sites in your search results.

16. The Hammer

I'm using WOT and have tracking protection in my browser already.

17. The Hammer

zfactor, do you find the firewall chatty?

18. Macstorm

Well, I never liked toolbars, no matter where they come from.

19. The Hammer

20. Macstorm

I always get a good laugh from the "reviews" of Mr. Rubenking..

21. The Hammer

Then you'll love his upcoming review of the premium version when it's published. He made a brief reference to it in the free review.

22. zfactor

not on normal mode the firewall is not chatty at alla few popups then thats it like any firewall it depends on how you have it set

23. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! Using Avira I.S.2013...running smooth as a top. No interference with the firewall...and not a glimpse of the aforementioned toolbar...so far really impressed with the relatively new Avira I.S.2013. Sincerely...Securon

24. Amin

Amin Registered Member

Luckily Avira 2013 has no impact on net browsing speed. as you know Avira used to kill the net speed.
    :thumb:

25. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

You won't go wrong with Avira i beta tested for them from 2006 thru 2009 and the product they put on the table is A # 1 I've watched their competition constantly maligning their name dragging it thru the mud so to speak for as long as i can remember..the corporate world remind's me of a butcher shop.. :thumbd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.