Avira 12 Prem. Realtime Is a Drag

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by WilliamP, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

:eek: :eek:

2. stevan4

stevan4 Registered Member

Avira is heavier than Kaspersky:argh:

(on my PC, clean system)

3. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I too am noticing slow downs in web browsing with Avira. :(

Are there any settings that can be changed or is this just the way it is?

Thought and advice welcome.

Cheers.

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am running Avira 12 on my Toshiba Satellite and it runs extremely light. It does extend the boot time but after that it is actually unnoticable.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2011
  5. Trooper

Hey bigc! Long time no see. But your font size is well, huge!

Are you running default settings? I just notice the lag when browsing. For example, do any Google image search and the images load slowly. But with other av's I do not notice the drag.

Any suggestions?

Thanks. :)

6. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I think bigc is trying to make a statement. :D

7. Trooper

You may be right.

Im still looking for some advice though.

8. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Default setting. or High hueristics have no bearing on my system, runs like a Thouroughbred, so it seems members must be tinkering with whatever other settings to slow down their systems :ninja:

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

totally agree, Marcus, Stefan and the rest of the group have done a great job with Version 12 and when AI gets released next year, LOOK OUT!:)

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Hey Trooper.... There has always been a slightly noticeable lag in the display of pages due to the web guard in Avira. I don't think there's anything you can do about it. I used to have the Premium version, but dumped it and went to the free version for this very reason. Apparently it's still the same...

11. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Can you confirm if this will be in the free version?

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Avira12 is very fast indeed on my system (Vista Ultimate) with all modules activated. My problems with Avira10 were due to Sandboxie conflicting with Avira.
    So it is next year, I would have thought from Stefan's remarks it was almost ready to be released. What does AI stand for...Artificial Intelligence?!?

13. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

A small test client was supposed to be released as a beta at the end of this year (around now), but due to delays, it will be most likely move to january. I am using the AI detection every day since early 2011.

I have no idea what our product management plans about how much of the cloud will be integrated into the free version next year. I would think that the paid version will get more cloud features so the people want to upgrade to the paid version.

Those people here having slow downs with web browsing, do you use other tools that affect web browsing or network traffic (other firewalls, other security products)?

14. Trooper

Thanks for your responses guys. You are correct, I am not running the default settings. I ramped things up a bit under the general area and also checked off the box to check i-frames etc could that be it?

I have also noticed on three different machines now that with Avira installed, it does two quirky things.

1. The gui is slow to open and when it does open, it normally hangs for a bit and says "Not Respsonding". After that it seems to behave normally for the most part.

2. See number one but just replace Firefox with Avira's gui. Its strange and kind of annoying. I am a beta tester and mentioned this in the past but was told it was not reproducible. :doubt:

@Stefan - Thank you for your response. To answer your question yes. At work I am running Avira alongside Prevx (enterprise version). We also use Lightspeed for content filtering.

At home, I've scaled things down a lot. On the one laptop at home that I have Avira installed on (these are all premium versions by the way not the free one) I have no other security products installed. I mainly use Firefox but I do use Adblock Plus with the easylist subscription if I rememember correctly. I also use DynDNS at home for my DNS and content filtering.

However, Avira is the only av that I've tried where this above behavior occurs. I can PM you if you'd like the other vendors as to not muck up this thread or start an a vs. b war which I do not want to do.

So that is a cliff notes version of what is going on. But across the board both at home and work, Avira does slow things down on the system a bit and also definitely web browsing.

All systems are Windows 7 with SP1. Some are 32 bit and the others x64.

I welcome everyone's comments.

Thanks!

15. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i have tested avira on a couple systems which were CLEAN installs of windows. no other security software no other browsers only ie9. i saw the slow browsing and also a few quirky things at times. this is just in response to the comments of having to have other software installed etc. i installed windows 7 and updated it. then installed avira. NOTHING else. not at all saying this is common any many users may or may not see it but i know i did. everything was a bit slower opening files and programs browsing etc. i test av's all the time and i always use a fresh install to test them to make sure there are no conflicts with anything else. i love avira and i used to use it. for me its a bit pricey (i know eset is also but i can get deals on eset in boxed versions around from places like newegg etc i got mine a while back for 3pc's for 1year for 24$ for ess) and i had issues ever since version 10 with version 12 being very slow on my systems i tested it on.

16. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I always use Avira as my only security protection and did never see any serious degradation in speed of the pc's (on any setup) that I have had in the past (beyond the usual slight change in performance when using any av).

I'm not against people using multiple layer security apps but according to what you describe, I'd say yours is some sort of conflict with one or more programs you are currently running.

17. Trooper

Could be, but look at zfactor's post above. He has experienced this as well with a clean install of Windows.

At work I can maybe see a conflict with Prevx, but at home, dont see where the conflict is. As I said, all other av's are fine, its just Avira. o_O

18. Macstorm

Tweak a little to see if there's any improvement, i.e. disable proactive and/or web,mail protection modules, just for testing purposes on your setups.

In the end, Avira could be more "reluctant" than other av's to live together with other security apps (for those using multiple layer programs).

19. Trooper

Do you think that disabling some of the protections under General may help? Or the i-frame protections that I enabled? I just feel/felt more protected with Avira by cranking it up a bit.

20. Macstorm

I don't think so, unless you had selected "all threat categories", the only thing I think could made a difference, who knows. I don't think disabling i-frames protection can help any (I felt no difference in browsing speed when I tried it).

I tend to believe that, although minimal, just by disabling the web/mail or proactive modules you may notice a difference. I too always have Internet Security in its default settings (except heuristics which I raise to high level).

Good luck :)

21. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

if i disabled web protection all was fine. but imo i will not use a av with some its most important features disabled..

22. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

On a clean system, if Avira slows down the machine, it might have something to do with ProActiv (it is by now well known it is work in progress) which can be stopped as a module through uninstall/change. There are machines that just won't work very well with some antivirus, this is what trial periods are for. On 2 of my slow machines Avira had a clear system impact, I chose something else.

23. Trooper

How do you disable the proactiv? Does it actually state that in the uninstall/change feature? Also, is it too critical for protection of the system to disable it? I would not want to disable it if it will negatively effect protection of the computer.

Thanks.

24. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

Under Add/Remove Software you can choose to modify the existing Avira installation.

For those having slowdowns, please try to disable single components (firewall, webguard, proactiv), maybe it is possible to find out which of these components is causing the slowdown on your system.

Of course, don't forget to reenable the components after the testing.

25. Trooper

Will do so and report back.

Thanks and Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.