Avira 12 Free Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mops21, Oct 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

To me this is good news. I don't like the idea of changing something just for the sake of changing it. I hope that any changes offer marked improvements, as in continuing to improve the methods of detecting & removing malware. And to keep the product as light as it can possibly be while still being effective in real-time prevention. This is what I want from an AV... they can keep the fancy GUI's and the dozen modules with green check marks telling me I'm "protected" and shove em where the sun don't shine. And if I want a sandbox, a HIPS, ect... I'll use dedicated ones. You're an AV. Just be an AV. Try to put too many features on your plate and the main thing your product was designed to do (prevent/remove malware) will inevitably suffer as a result.

Just my prerogative. When my license for Avira Premium ends I'll more than likely stop using AV's altogether. But if there were a product that offered top notch real-time protection, and was so light I didn't notice it was there, I'd at least consider it. But with so many of these products becoming bloated with "features", I really think they're committing suicide because so many these days are taking the same approach I am. The ones that stay light and trimmed down will be the ones that survive, like Panda Cloud, and Avira if they stick to their roots.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  2. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I'm itching to try this on my main computer, but I feel like I'd be cheating on Avast! which has never let me down. :D

3. luciddream

Think of it more like a 3-some in a non-committed relationship. I really like both of them. Over the past 7 years they're pretty much the only 2 AV's that've touched my computer, with exception to a brief trial of Kaspersky. Avira runs a bit lighter with my setup, so that was the tie-breaker to me.

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Sorry but this just isn't and can't be true. If malware writers do anything and use any means to evade security products, why should antivirus companies stick with "be just an AV". They still are, only thing that changed is that malware has evolved. And so did antivirus products. If this means using virtualization technology, behavior analysis, execution control etc, then so be it.

5. luciddream

But AV's will never be as good at these things as stand alone products like Sandboxie are, let's face it. So if you're really serious about thwarting this ever evolving malware you should be using solutions like that instead then, and not the sandbox built into your Avast, or Comodo. The only thing they're really accomplishing is adding bloat to their products, and making some people reluctant to even bother using them anymore as a result.

And if they absolutely insist on adding them anyway, then it should be reserved only for the suites, not the AV's. People that use suites are looking for that 1, all-encompassing piece of software to solve all their problems, so that's right up their alley. People just using the AV obviously prefer stand-alone apps, designed for a specific purpose, and are far less likely to want a bunch of features thrown in there that will more than likely be overlap to them.

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Are they not? avast!'s Sandbox works perfectly fine, proper and is simple to operate. Yes, it's available only in paid version but still. I don't really expect anything more or less from it.

7. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Sorry to say,but i think that the new Avira will no longer be in my setup anymore.First of all,today i've installed for the 2nd time Avira but this time i uninstalled the old version first.After restart (odd enough,the uninstaller didn't asked for reboot o_O ),i begin to install it.After aprox 10 minutes of waiting,the installer still was at "Starting components".I did a forced reboot,and Avira notified me that the Real Time wasn't active and an update is necessary.Still odd enough,after update the real time protection finally appear.
    But the thing that i hate the most...during install i unchecked Avira's webguard,and after reboot,guess what.The Ask toolbar was installed anyway! :thumbd:

PS.The "Avira is unavailable" option on the toolbar is grey out (see the screenshot) because i did the force reboot.Avira wants to do a repair for that,but i don't bother anymore with it.

Attached Files:

8. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Yes there is in the configuration settings of expert mode -Exceptions

9. luciddream

Hey, if it suits your needs, cool. I was stating what I personally look for in an AV. I prefer stand alone apps, and like them to do only 1 thing and do it well. I don't have much use for an AV at all these days, and if I am going to use one it had better be light and not overlap with anything else. Avira Premium (v.10 SP2) has everything I need (File Guard, Web Guard), and nothing I don't need. And you can custom tailor Avast the way you want it too, which is great. What would suck is if all the modules were forced on you, and you couldn't customize it. To me most of the stuff is unwanted.

And I don't like the looks of that Avira 12. Now it just looks like everything else. And I also don't like that everything from the suite is integrated, the parts you don't need (depending on your version) are just greyed out. To my experience, even if the stuff is disabled, it still "feels" bulkier that it's all in there. Maybe it's just a placebo effect, who knows. But if I'm only using the AV I don't wanna be looking at firewall options at all. It shouldn't be there. I want it slim & trim. I won't be upgrading to 12 if that's what it's going to be like. That's the reason I keep product updating turned off.

Same thing with Comodo FW. I wish there was a slimmed down version for people that want the FW only, where the D+ tab isn't even there at all.

10. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

11. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

Nice! On-demand, but still nice.

12. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Avira 12 Free

Is there any issue with Shadow Defender ?

13. Coccinelle

Coccinelle Registered Member

The new Avira sucks...:thumbd:
    The version 10 sucks and version 12 sucks.
    I'm a very disappointed.

14. iwod

iwod Registered Member

After so many years they have finally manage to design, and make a decent UI.

It is still a great AV. But in terms of a whole product i think avast is better.

15. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

Any special reason?

16. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

So if you could sum up your feelings in one word , what would that word be?;)

17. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Why would a Norton user be disappointed by Avira's new release is a bit of a paradox: rejoice instead you have the best Security Suite according to Norton users.

18. muf

muf Registered Member

I like the new GUI. Much more professional looking. I uninstalled v10 and installed v12 without any problems. So far...

Incidently, what happened to v11? Was it never released? Surely can't be that someone can't count?

Paul

19. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Dumb post. Only Avira users are allowed to post in this thread?

20. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Version 11 was skipped. I'm sure that's what really rankles Coccinelle.;)

21. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I might have to give Avira free a try again. I'm hoping that it runs lighter than avast.

22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

You're saying like avast! is the heaviest AV out there. While i think it's really among the lightest ones. As far as i've tried both of them, they feel pretty much the same. Very quick.

23. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Ok. Maybe I was inferring that avast is heavy. I know that its not heavy. What I mean to say is that I hope that avira is lighter than avast. If it is I would gladly consider switching.

24. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

I installed this and it like froze on the Starting services and never moved at all for about 10mins. i just restarted my computer and it worked well after that.

but during install at starting services i couldnt even see or start the task manger or any programs.

all in all this version needs work and alot.

25. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

I had exactly the same problem. I would try it just to see how some of this new version, but how did this problem I restart the computer and then could no longer log into my user. I had to restore the image. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.