Avira 10 launched

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Ibrad, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

Have you noticed that the new Avira removes detected malware in a different way scanning the system during removal?

I think it will be interesting to see the result at the next AV-Comparatives Dynamic and Removal tests.

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@Zimzi

Hi, can you elaborate please, with screenies if possible ?

3. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Maybe Zimzi is refering to manual or Automatic o_O

4. berng

berng Registered Member

:rolleyes: As I stated above
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1644992&postcount=105

5. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

I am refering to how Avira removes detected malware. :D

There are some changes compare to version 9. After malware is detected Avira scan the system (image 1) and, after removal, trying to repair the system (image 2).

May be this could be an explanation:

Key innovations in Avira AntiVir Version 10:

* Behavior-based protection with AntiVir ProActiv
    * Enhanced security, thanks to shared intelligence on emerging viruses from the 100 million-plus strong Avira Community
    * Generic repair of registry data and infected files
    * Express installation, transparent user interface, slide-up virus information with one-click removal feature
    * Parental Control feature in the Avira AntiVir Suite, including control over Internet surfing hours

... The new version of Avira AntiVir also cleans up after as-yet-undetected viruses: its generic repair feature searches for any residual data and removes this from the hard disk and registry after an infection has been detected – helping to remove traces that may otherwise allow a PC to become compromised.

Attached Files:

6. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I apologize I did not have any files to repair.

7. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I just installed Avira 10 IS on my new Win7 64bit machine. Runs great. The GUI is not that bad. I agree with trjam, I don't need a glitzy GUI. As long as the GUI is easy to manuever around in, which Avira is, and the product is protecting me, I'm happy.

8. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Ok I'm sure I missed this but what changes are made to Avira free? I know that it doesn't have the proactive protection.

9. mvario

mvario Registered Member

I tried it, went back to version 9. I have some "questionable" files, stull like some of the Sysinternal and Radsoft utilities that gets flagged and 10 kept giving me pop-up, wouldn't let me ignore, and didn't seem to notice even when I put them in exceptions. Seems they made 10 safer from people hurting themselves, but I need more options.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  10. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

So lemme get this straight, Avira added a behaviour blocker and in da Cloud-Tech in 1 release?

11. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

as far as i know it has some minor tweaks like no autostart, and scan registry and rootkit scanning for 64bit now

12. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Yep...:cool: :thumb:

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Off Topic Post. The topic is Avira 10 and I'm proud that our members have kept the discussion on topic for the better part of 130+ posts. Let's keep it that way. Thanks!

JR

14. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Thanks. My problem is that I have 9 in other language not yet translated for 10, and I believe that I can't overwrite the 10 English version. I will have to unistall 9...:rolleyes:

15. johnyjohn

johnyjohn Registered Member

Yes, you can install AV10 over AV9 only if it is the same language.
    If not, you have to uninstall AV9 first and then install AV10 or wait for the release of AV10 in your language. ;)

Have a look here : https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1632841&postcount=257

Yes, this is the new "generic repair". It can better clean computers from infections. Instead of just deleting the malware file when there exists no special repair routine, Avira AntiVir now cleans the registry and the filesystem from further garbage which a virus may have left on the system. This ensures for example that a PC is still bootable when a malware has been removed.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  16. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

i would want to see a cleaning test between the main 3 free avs

17. adik1337

adik1337 Registered Member

avira 10 slows down my browsing and download speed to a crawl ... back to avast 5

18. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I've just run my first full system scan on my Vista32 with Avira 10 Premium, settings on high heuristic all files: no malware (expected), no FPs, it scanned 20 GB in 26 minutes (slightly faster than before). Perhaps a stupid question, I always run full system scans in virtual mode, would that affect the results in any way?

19. Pigula

Pigula Registered Member

Do I have to install the new version on my own or it will be downloaded through built-in updater? Thanks in advance.

20. johnyjohn

johnyjohn Registered Member

AV10 files will be automatically downloaded and installed via Updater if you have AntiVir Premium 9 (english or german only) or Avira Premium Security Suite 9 (english or german only).
    If you run AntiVir Personal 9, you will receive a slide up with download link. Click on it to download AntiVir Personal 10. Then, without uninstalling AntiVir Personal 9, run the exe file and choose Update.

21. Pablo87

Pablo87 Registered Member

I still having that scanning Issue
    the scanner stuck on the msochache
    and it do my pc freezing:S
    someone else have this issue?

22. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

i just scanned my secondary 32 bit xp computer, and when i checked it in the morning the luke filewalker wasnt een there. and there is no report of the scan either, and it says 8i have not scanned the system yet. i have no idea what just happened

23. iwod

iwod Registered Member

I wonder why Personal doesnt include AntiVir ProActiv. Since it is the largest user group and it could provide valuable resouces and samples to AntiVir ProActiv Labs.

24. disPlay

disPlay Registered Member

Proactiv will not be provided in the Q1 of this year. And we don't have more information about that. But your statement is true.

25. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I don't get it why they're sticking to that dreaded popup with such enthusiasm. Ok, ok, sure you can block it, but that's just not it. avast! 5 has done it in (for me) a perfect way. And i totally don't mind it. AVG did it in a similar way, though a bit more annoying. But still far from AVIRA's way... I see it every time i open the main panel, but otherwise it's not bothering me. I know why i opted for free version, so stop harrasing me on every freakin update. Because i'm not gonna buy it, especially not when you're constantly jumping on my with a popup we all hated so much in browsers and now they're feeding it through antivirus. C'mon.
    If anything that you'll achive, it'll only be to make me hate AVIRA Free all together. And i do.

And next to the updater. Again, a retarded 24 hour locked update interval. It's a 2010, millions of threats daily and you check for updates only once per day. So if AVIRA updated last night 10:00 PM, it's not gonna update again till the next day 10:00 PM. Do you know how massive the time frame is in between, where user is like sitting duck? Sure there are heuristics but so are new threats that evade them. And it doesn't matter if AVIRA virus lab already responded and released new signatures that counter these threats, your client side (your very AVIRA on your PC) won't bother to check if there is a new update, because it checked i don't know, 20 hours ago. avast! checks every 4 hours! and on every new internet connection established (essentially that's on every system startup and when wireless network comes up). If there is a new threat added tot he signatures and i've just updated 1 hour ago, i'll have to wait just 3 hours to get the inoculation for it (or even less if i just restarted the system for some other reason).
    AVIRA on the other hand will make you wait for 23 hours. A whole day!
    AVG is not much better in this department and so is MSE. They both serve updates on crippled servers with crippled client side restrictions (except MSE). avast! on the other hand serves all updates on their commercial grade servers with smaller client side restrictions that are still 6 times better than any from AVG or AVIRA. Why this works fine for avast! but doesn't for AVG and AVIRA and partially MSE?

Signatures are still a core element of protection and without it, every AV no matter how good heuristics it has, is rather useless. I can live with less settings, i can live with ads inside interface, i can live with very limited non priority support, but i just can't stand crippled updaters or when they cripple detection engines so much there is a huge gap in between payable and free version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.