Avira 10 launched

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Ibrad, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

Thanks!!

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I see that in their user manual that they strongly recomend setting the update interval at two hours. However I feel comfortable going with four as trjam had done.

3. Cakewalk

Cakewalk Registered Member

I downloaded avira today b/c Consumer Reports was on Fox News and endorsed it. It caused me nothing but major grief! It would not let me run any programs stating I did not have permission. And it would NOT uninstall!! I could not do anything. It was like a virus. After hours of spinning my wheels I googled and it was actually this website apparently an old post that suggested unistalling in 'safe mode'. This did work and to be sure I did a system restore. All is well now but IMO avira sucks!!! Beware!!!!

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Avira10 is getting better every month, lately it has detected a large number of malware on USB flash drives and a CD ROM. I was wondering however, if anybody has seen the ProActiv module in action, so far detections were performed in a traditional way. Is ProActiv supposed to open a different window/alert or is it meant to work silently in the background exchanging info with Avira's servers?

5. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

Osaban, the pop up is a bit different. To make it work I had to add imgburn to blocked applications - I haven't seen any ProActiv popup from normal use, and I think to disable it, after giving it another month or so. I am not so sure what exactly does.

Attached Files:

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'm also wondering whether to have ProActiv on, as it delays my start up time by a good 20 seconds. Not an important issue as the speed of the computer isn't affected after this initial delay, but as far as I can tell from the the Avira forum, nobody seems to know exactly what this new module is doing.

7. Cakewalk

Cakewalk Registered Member

Face it! It's not worth the hassle. Go w/Malwarebytes.

8. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Or my father is running Avira with Comodo Firewall with Proactive defense and Sanbox. Seems a good combo!

Cheers

James

9. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Find it very funny how "new members" with a clear agenda appear here and there from time to time.

Sometimes makes me want to do the same with others's AVs threads :D

10. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

:D

I just started using Avira 10 Premium and so far so good. There's a known bug that should be fixed soon with the ProActive module logging that it is disabled when in reality it isn't, but other than that I'm pretty happy so far. Switched from avast! Pro and still need to put in some time to see if the switch was worthwhile.

Cheers! :)

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

HAHA :D

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Easier to just ignore 'em and move on.... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.