Avira 10 launched

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Ibrad, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CiX

CiX Registered Member

Does this mean the free version cannot detect spyware o_O
    avira.JPG

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Just updated to Premium from free. In the dowload instructions it says that when downloading if another version is detected it will ask you if you which to uninstall. When installing the paid version it never asked about the free but simply installed over the top while retaining the settings enabled in the free. I was waiting for the premium version to ask about uninstalling the free at which point I would have said yes. However it never happened. Oh well.:)

3. The Hammer

Now that I'm using Premium do I need to fiddle with the Updater default time which seems to be 1 day, 00 hours, 00 minutes?

4. icr

icr Registered Member

I don't know about that but man have to say nice Ad anyway:D :D :D

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  5. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

You can set it to update as frequent as you like. Mine is set for 2 hour updates...:)

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

The free version detects spyware, the paid version has "enhanced" spyware protection, whatever that means. At least that's the way it was not too long ago.

7. icr

icr Registered Member

Yeah Avira FREE does have basic spyware protection
    Info:)

Don't know the actual meaning of Enhanced though:doubt:

8. The Hammer

But does anyone know how often it checks on it's own? The Eset engine for example checks for updates hourly with no user intervention necessary.

9. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

My hunch is that since it runs off a scheduled time or interval in the updater that is what it checks with...:blink: :) I also check the Avira updates page and they do update pretty often, 6 updates today already...: http://www.avira.com/en/threats/section/vdfhistory/index.html

10. The Hammer

So in that respect it's more like driving a standard than an automatic. I'll configure the updater then at two hours for the time bring.

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Mine is set at 4 hours.

12. The Hammer

I've since done the same.

13. The Hammer

If I have a cable connection should I have the setting check marked in Auto Update "Start job when connecting to the Internet (dial up)." given that I don't leave the computer on all the time? The idea being that when I turn the computer on it will check for an update immediately and then at the scheduled interval there after.

14. johnyjohn

johnyjohn Registered Member

Hi,

You can update when you turn your computer on by creating an update job in Scheduler and chosing Login for "Select a time for the update" (option only available in paid versions).
    Then with an "interval" update job, it did the trick : update at login + update every X hours after the computer start. :D

15. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

When Avira10 came out I was very happy but the excitement only
    lasted for about 15 minutes. That was the amount of time that I
    was willing to put up with that thing.
    Bo

16. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Currently, I have just one issue with it, the free version doesn't auto update for me. Manually triggering an update works, but is unacceptable in my books.

17. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Same. I've had that problem multiple times before with version 9 and 10.
    Been going back to Avira for years, but not anymore.

18. The Hammer

When I had the free version updating was occurring only very occasionally. Although it wasn't as bad if I left the computer on all the time. I was advised to schedule specific times in the job scheduler and that worked like a charm. I had it checking three times a day.

19. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I have the premium on one machine and 2 free versions on two other machines, same household. The odd thing is that the download speed from the free versions is faster than the premium. I'm convinced that updating problems with Avira are due to location (servers) and connection speed.

Out of curiosity, how is the ProActiv module working on your machine? After quite a few problems, it is working well on my machine (start up time is 15 seconds longer). Do you use the Application Filter Blocked/Allowed (ProActiv/Application Filter/Blocked/Allowed)?

I've actually put several programs in the 'Allowed list' although I'm not sure if it is necessary.

20. The Hammer

I've got a 64 bit machine so ProActiv doesn't work.

21. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

ProActiv runs very smoothly on my machine although I do not use the blocked applications feature. I am testing the premium suite for 2 weeks and runs very smoothly as well. I will buy it. I have not decided yet if I will get the firewall or I will use 3rd party.

About your faster download speeds with free version, could it be because the free version doesn't have web guard? Because with the webguard all the web traffic is passing through avira.

22. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I think Osaban meant he gets faster d/l speeds with free v. regardless of the webguard in premium v. which, as far as i can remember, he has disabled it in the first place... (?)

23. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

That is correct, I don't use webguard, and as I mentioned, the premium version updates very often with a reasonable speed, the free versions update at least once daily, but they are faster (download speed) than the premium.

24. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

Osaban,

From your sig, I understand that you do not use/like avira's firewall. Do you have any feedback on that? I ask because I intend to purchase Avira after a couple of weeks, AGW of course.

25. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi Mike,

I have Avira Premium not the suite which is only antivirus. I don't know anything about Avira's own firewall. I like to think that any firewall from a reputable company is reliable.

Generally I don't like suites, and I believe that most companies do best what they originally created first even though suites have a lot of positive aspects.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.