Avira 10 launched

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Ibrad, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratwing

ratwing Guest

@luciddream:

Well said, I agree 100%.

I was not aware of any pending sandbox function for Avira,however.

respect.

Rat

2. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

hmm... perhaps a behavior blocker then? Whatever is in the paid version now that I hear will soon be implemented in the free. Forgive my foggy memory.

3. ratwing

ratwing Guest

Yeah,you mean Avira "Pro-Active" I am very fuzzy myself about it,but I thank you are right.
    a behavior blocker of some kind.

Intresting to say the least.

respect
    rat

4. EscapeVelocity

EscapeVelocity Registered Member

Do you have to unistall the old program and then install the new one? Or do you just install over the old one?

5. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I personally make it a point whenever it's a major upgrade/new version to uninstall the previous version, restart, clean up left over junk files/keys & defrag before installing the new one. That may also be why I never have any of the problems people report.

I'm not sure that it's necessary, but a good idea IMHO.

6. ratwing

ratwing Guest

I agree with that,at worse you have to reconfigure your application to your desired settings.
    A lot of problem that others have with over instals,tend to not show up
    for those who practice the clean uninstall/reinstall.

But at times I get lazy,I have overinstaled Sandboxie Betas for a year or more.

rat

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

How many processes? If it's been asked, then I've missed it.

8. The Hammer

Well Avira Personal just saved my behind. I came across an infected web page while looking for reviews of an email client. Problem was handled nicely.

9. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I've installed AntiVir without MailGuard or WebGuard and Process Explorer shows that the following processes are running: -

avgnt.exe - Antivirus System Tray Tool
    avguard.exe - Antivirus On-Access Service
    avshadow.exe - AntiVir shadow copy service
    sched.exe - Antivirus scheduler

I believe that MailGuard and WebGuard each run as separate processes, so that makes 6 in total with all components installed and running.

10. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning ! I've just installed Avira Anti Vir Premium 10, Just a short observation...the new version lives up to it's pedigree...superb performance...no adverse system bugs or gliches. Ease of use and peace of mind. Sincerely...Securon

11. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Its good you didn't install the original v10 build. It was running over with glitches.

12. The Hammer

Thank you very much.:)

13. pegr

pegr Registered Member

You're welcome. :)

14. EscapeVelocity

Dumb question...

How do I get Mail Guard and Web Guard activated. I dont see it in the Avira AntiVir GUI anywhere. I am using the latest Free version.

15. CiX

CiX Registered Member

Mail Guard and Web Guard is for Premium and Premium Security Suite only.

16. EscapeVelocity

Thanks for the clarification. :thumbsup

17. icr

icr Registered Member

Hello Members,

Anybody tested the ProActive module lately?

How is it working(last time when I installed Avira V10 BETA proActive was a problem)

18. ratwing

ratwing Guest

First,before anyone accuses me of being an Avira hater,let me say that Avira ,from 7-9 was my choice of anti-virus.

Let me further state that if I should ever feel the need for a full time anti-virus,Avira would be my first choice.

That said has anyone noticed a kind of mind locked rigidity on the Avira forums?

The answer to ever problem is: "uninstall ever security program other than Avira,and if that does not fix your problem,
    uninstall Avira,and reinstall?

This seems a little "reactive" to me.
    To be honest the same can be said for the Avast! forums,where one of the friendliest forums on the net has become one of the most hostile and belligerent.

What is going on with anti-virus?

Is the competition so great,that civility is a throw away?
    rat

19. johnyjohn

johnyjohn Registered Member

As you know, using more than one security product doesn't mean that your computer is more secure. Two or more security products can cause conflicts so you are not more protected you are just more vulnerable to malware.

On Avira support forum, in order to isolate the issues, we ask for uninstalling other on-access scanners and not on-demand scanners.

20. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Yeah, you've also asked people to uninstall TrueCrypt and other similar stuff. :rolleyes: Uninstall everything, post HJT log... round and round. Clearly needs some professional support from Avira staff, but that's not getting anywhere. I already commented on how much the Avira "support" forum sucks so won't repeat myself. The "antispam" feature and all. :thumbd:

21. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

I'd have to agree with doktornotor on this. I read posts from the Avira forum for possible workarounds on some problems I encounter with Avira. I post only whenI can't seem to solve it myself. I see a lot there about instructing to uninstall security software even if it is used as on-demand scanner only. I see threads there asking to uninstall MBAM free/SASpy free which are on-demand scanners.

Heck, I also see solutions not posted there and are sent thru PM...If you encounter one with the same problem you'll have to post it again and wait for help though the help may not be similar to what you posted....just an observance. The firewall in the premium security suite has a lot of issues too as seen in the forums there. I personally had uninstalled it together with the ProActive module.

22. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

It seems every problem in Avira forums is solved by means of HJT logs. Especially update issues - with which the forum is choked full. They will simply not admit that the update mechanism is fundamentally broken/crippled atleast for Personal Edition users.
    I avast! forums I am seeing a number of people complaining about mail scan issue. This has been a persistent problem for many users. Even now, there has been no single comprehensive official post regarding this. You are simply told to search the forum.
    And as far as MSE forums go, well just take a stroll there to see what Orwellian really means. It actually seems there are droids answereing the posts. They have canned replies to almost everything. Not to mention complaints about missed malware - every AV misses something, but MSE more so.

23. fax

fax Registered Member

That is what happens in most support forums considering that a large share of issue is due to security overlaps. Few are the educated users (like in wilders) that knows the inside out of security tools and are able to properly disable drivers and system hooks. Other will simply turn them off as they can without the desired effect.

The unfortunate true is that modern security software tends to be very invasive and hook deep in the system becoming extremely sensitive to other third party software. With the market invaded by a plethora of different defense mechanism and releases frequency down to few weeks it has become simply impossible (or too costly) to be compatible with all the software out there :)

24. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

May I remind all Wilders members that Wilders is a forum to discuss security software, not other forum matters.

The best place to discuss forum issues or problems would be in their appropriate forums.

Let's focus on Avira 10, the topic of this thread.

25. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Hmmm well, vendor support quality (or lack thereof) is an important part of security software. So I'd say discussing the quality of support (and the forums are a big part of that) is kinda on topic here?

(Wrt your suggestion to take this to their forums, well that's unfortunately pretty much impossible thing to do since people basically can't post anywhere but on threads they've themselves created...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.