Avira 10 launched

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Ibrad, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I decided today to give Avira a try with the Personal version.

2. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

It's great, I can tell you that. I don't even recall why I switched it for something else. :D In any case, I run either that or avast! if running any AV at all. avast! has done extremely well for me now so far.

3. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

agree, Avast has done well with me also.

4. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I just tried the mvps HOSTS file, too slow. :thumbd:

5. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

MVPS working good for me...But hpHosts files really blocked my network. 3.8 MB HOST file :eek: , even after using it i cannot able to ping my LAN Card:rolleyes:

6. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Re - HOSTS file

Large HOSTS file over 135 kb can slow down your comp.

You need to either set to DISABLE or Manual the DNS Client in Services.

Have a look at this http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

7. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

Or you can stop using Windows built-in hosts and start using Acrylic DNS Proxy. It can handle huge hosts files with no noticeable slowdown.

8. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I'm giving Avira premium another try since they issued a couple bug fixes. It's running real smooth now. I may just keep it around on one of my 2 rigs since I have a license for it good for another 17 months...:cool:

9. ablatt

ablatt Registered Member

I've actually pulled Antivir Premium 10 off my Windows 7 64-bit PC because of ongoing issues.

Outlook 2007 not responding, event log errors - just miscellaneous stuff that leaves me without the confidence to run it for now.

Too bad because I loved version 9. I guess I'll wait for a few more releases before trying it again.

10. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

I use Peter Lowe's list ( 70kb)

http://pgl.yoyo.org/as/serverlist.php?hostformat=hosts&showintro=1&mimetype=plaintext

If you want to keep using the Windows dns service, use HOSTSMan to optimize it. I use the HOSTSServer as well to log all hits.

Here are a few more I've added to Peter's list

http://shorttext.com/4dbz9qq0en

11. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Thank you. :thumb:

I just decide to give that a try. I had noticed it earlier, but I wasn't sure of what setting it to manual would do.

Then I got so annoyed by some ads, so I decided to do something about it.
    Maybe I'll even try Proxomitron, but for that I need time to study it.

I don't know whether the recent changes in the ads as displayed on my screen have anything to do with Avira, but I wouldn't be surprised.

12. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I'm using Avira 10 Premium on Win7 64. Only problem I've had is with the mail guard. No problem with outgoing mail, but at times, no incoming for long periods of time. I tried sending e-mail to myself, and it never shows up. I decided to uninstall mail guard, and haven't had a problem since.

E-mail scanning option is not really necessary in an AV, but I thought the extra protection would be nice. Other than that, I really like the new Avira 10.

Anyone else have a problem with the mail guard?

Oh yeah, I'm not using Windows Live Mail.

13. johnyjohn

johnyjohn Registered Member

Hi Graystoke,

This was fixed with this product update : http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=111605
    So you can install MailGuard component again. ;)

You can check the installed update with the following version information below Avira AntiVir Control Center, Menu Help :: About ... in the Version information tab: 10.0.0.603

14. CloneRanger

@Fly

Glad to be of SERVICE ;)

Any faster now ?

15. Graystoke

10.0.0.603 is the version I'm running, so looks like I got the update. Maybe I try installing mailguard again.

16. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

Yes, the hpHosts gets constantly cluttered with countless imagehosting servers which should not be in a hosts file, I really don't know why they should.

17. Fly

Fly Registered Member

As fast as before I installed the mvps HOSTS file !

18. Graystoke

MailGuard is still causing problems with my e-mail. Uninstalled again. I will live without it.

19. The Hammer

Can any long time users of Avira personal or premium explain why every box under the General section "Threat Categories" aren't automatically selected as default? Are scan times or resource usage adversely affected?

20. CloneRanger

@The Hammer

Personal user here.

It's not every box on my v9 !

But good question, and something that always surprised me too :( I believe it's because some people actually want to have Joke etc programs :eek: Yeah i know crazy. I presume at some point they might have had a lot of complaints/problems from people who got that junk automatically deleted, so they made them optional ?

Default settings v9, not sure what APPL is ?

scr.gif

Ok, if idiots want junk they can have it, but the more riskier/serious stuff i've highlighted should be opt out not opt in as default. I guess not enough/any of us has raised it with them, and it's just been left as is since whenever ? They really should include the ones i've highlighted in Orange in there as default.

Not in my experience over several years of both personal and premium.

21. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It is a good question, and basically one can't understand why Avira is always supplied by default with medium settings. It is well known that when tested by serious organizations AVs are always set to maximum level (many are set to max out of the box).

As far as scan times/resource usage I couldn't see any difference.

22. The Hammer

Thanks CloneRanger and Osaban.:)

23. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Shrug; any web guard has overhead... Avira's one sucked big time for me in my experience which lasted for quite a couple of years. Try a different AV with this functionality (Avast, NOD32 trial, whatever) and see if it makes a difference for you.

24. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

I believe I may be facing some update problems. Although I have checked the "Download automatically any program updates etc etc" box, I don't think it updates at all the last 4-5 days.

2 days ago I was notified by the Windows Security Center that Avira says it is not up to date, so sth should be wrong.

Now I've set manually a scheduled update that runs daily, see how this works out.

25. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I tested out Avira Personal v10 and have had none of the problems many are pointing out. So I'm guessing they're either isolated incidents due to system incompatibility (and not solely the fault of the AV, as everybody immediately assumes)... or they've ironed the problems out. Besides a couple minor cosmetic changes this looks and feels just like v9 to me (which I loved). I really don't see what all the fuss is about.

I'm also satisfied with the explanation given in this thread by their rep, but at the same time understand why people are skeptical. I think it's a good thing that people ask the tough questions. It keeps these vendors honest, but I think some of it crossed over the line, and I myself was guilty to some degree and apologize.

IMHO both Avast & Avira are top notch AV's. The free versions of both are better than just about any paid solution out there. I'd be happy to have either on my system.

About the added sandbox functionality for both of them... I hope that it's simple in the installation to not include it. In most cases a dedicated stand-alone solution is better IMO, and I'm sure many would agree. The point of a layered solution is so that if one fails, there are others. If you put all your eggs into 1 basket and for whatever reason that 1 basket doesn't load on system start-up, you could be in a world of hurt. Just my 2 cents...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.