Avira 10 launched

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Ibrad, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

did you try to download the file from that page-link?..tha's when i received the warning.

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I ran into my first problem with Avira Premium 10. I was checking the various possibilities in 'Configure Antivir/General/Security/Product protection'. When I checked "Protect files and registry entries from manipulation" all hell broke loose on my computer: the core duo started running at 100% (hardly ever happened before) freezing my system, and after 3 minutes I hit the start button for a hard reboot.

My mistake was that I didn't test it virtually, and when the system rebooted Windows notified me that Avira's guard had shut down and a solution for the problem would be eventually forwarded.

Needless to say that my options were reinstalling Avira or restoring an image. I opted for the image as the whole operation would take 10 minutes automatically.

So far my feeling is that the Avira 10's guards have more of an impact than in 9, possibly due to the ProActiv module (as expected), and some of the features in the configuration are still unpredictable. The product should have been in beta longer, although the program will protect effectively against malware. So far, I couldn't find any issues with Avira 10 free.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

hopefully all will get resolved but to buggy for me.

4. icr

icr Registered Member

What happened to your Avira:)

5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

LOL, Switched to G-Data? 2010 or 2011? :D

6. progress

progress Guest

Beta 2012 :D

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

To say that it is too buggy is not fair as the program does well what it is supposed to do: protect from malware. My problem could be machine related, or perhaps conflicting with something else, I will just ignore that setting (it is off by default). I'm certainly not going to change, and I still think it is one the best in detections. The ProActiv module can be easily disabled if it is affecting the machine's performance.

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

The Crystal Ball predicted it.;)

9. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

That's a good one :D :D

10. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

trjam, your humour is welcome, after all we don't earn any money whether one is better than the other. As far as I'm concerned your predictions are similar to Nostradamus, inaccurate as for the time window. Yes, Avira doesn't detect as much as GData, but this isn't new, and they kept their second place yet again. Gdata is good but there are two problems: it is very heavy and has no free version.

11. lubieplacki

lubieplacki Registered Member

This newest version of Avira is effective only on AV-Comparatives tests, on 0-days Avira 10 is very weak, poor.

12. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

13. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

For the record, AV Comparatives tested Avira Premium 9.

14. progress

progress Guest

The Avira fan boys will punish you :D

15. lubieplacki

lubieplacki Registered Member

You have right Osaban. But in other nonofficial, making by users test Avira is not good.

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Heavy how? In weight? Because on 4 different setups, it is as light as anything else I use. And web browsing is actually faster then with Avira. Large install, yes, very very large. But I know others here using it and heavy is not what I here.

No free version? True but, you can get the internet suite for 3 computers for $39.95. Avira with donation is over $85.00. To me, no comparision.

17. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

The strength and weakness of the Internet is that allowing anybody to express whatever they feel is right or wrong makes it the ultimate development of democracy. By the same token, people unqualified in a particular field, they can claim whatever results, unabashedly.

People testing Antimalware software are growing exponentially on the Internet, especially using youtube, more to satisfy their ego than to provide a service to the community. The results are there for everybody to see and make up their mind. This isn't television though, those guys on you tube are reaching what 1000- 5000 viewers if they are lucky, Avira has more than 100 million users, merely a spark in a long night.

18. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

19. icr

icr Registered Member

20. zx81

zx81 Registered Member

I found Gdata very heavy on my systems, perhaps as it has 2 "engines", maybe my settings, but it spoiled my computing "experience"

laptop precision M6300 2.8 4gb ram win7x64 ultimate 2x7200rpm hard drives
    desktop q9450 @3.6 4gb ram win7x64 ultimate 2x7200rpm hard drives

I don't notice KIS running and hardly did Avira10 premium, in comparison

21. trjam

trjam Registered Member

People, use whatever suits you and not what someone else says. Avira is very, very good. I like G-Data, some like Eset. None of it matters because in the end, what matters is only "your" setup.:thumb:

22. codylucas16

codylucas16 Registered Member

so what will you be liking next week?

23. Noob

Noob Registered Member

He always ends up with G-Data :rolleyes:

24. progress

progress Guest

Panda or Avira 10 :D

25. Pigula

Pigula Registered Member

Hello. Could you tell me why Avira doesn't show any notification (and what to do with a file) when I test it with Eicar? It only shows detection in Guard in local protection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.