Avira 10 launched

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Ibrad, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zx81

zx81 Registered Member

see post 282, v10 doesnt support SSL, does/did v9?

2. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

I'm having the same problem. Are you getting any detection alert? I get nothing.

I am using Vista x64 and have had the same problem on 2008 Server x64.

3. Carver

Carver Registered Member

So far avira Premium is working smoothly, I had a little trouble at first with system scan times. The System scan time was 7 Hours for 120 GIG HD X 2, Avira paused on several files for 45 minutes each. I went to the Avira forums, found somebody who had a problem similar to mine. The answer he was given was to UN-install pro-activ. I UN-installed pro-activ and my scan times went down to 1.5 to 2 Hours.

4. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Well the personal version (which I'm using) doesn't support email scanning at all, so no. No idea if v.9 premium does or not.

Thank you very much for responding.

5. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

6. 800ster

800ster Registered Member

Quoting Avira website:
    "Most viruses come in by email. With the EmailScanner your emails are checked for viruses before you get them (POP3, SMTP and IMAP)."

The mailguard function will scan e-mails downloaded via POP3 etc (which you can do with GMail though not sure when SSL is involved). However if you read e-mail via the GMail web interface then this has no effect (as with any other webmail) but you are protected via the Webguard etc.

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'd like to add that Gmail itself scans for viruses (and successfully IMO).

8. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

For me,Avira 10 didn't alert at all,scan the zip file,execute it...It seems to me that Avira is trying to work out the FP.
    On the other hand,with the Trojan Simulator,it deleted the file immediately as i extract it.(oh,and the Avira's heuristics are on medium)

9. 927

927 Registered Member

either way, avira detects the exe as APPL/PSWTool.Pass.A.
    heuristics on low

10. incognito555

incognito555 Registered Member

I know it detects it, but it allows the program to run.

On version 9 the guard kicks in before execution and prevents the program from starting.

11. Espresso

I installed v9 again and no matter if I check "Do not download product updates." , it keeps updating to v10. From the log file:

[UPD] [INFO] Product-info file: Executing mandatory product update initiated by Avira.

12. Espresso

Now I realize that the regular guard alert has been replaced with the rollup, which then, after clicking details, opens to another window that you have to right click on to choose an option (after a very shaky looking "system scan" progress popup) . What an ungraceful, sluggish approach to dealing with an alert. This release is a disaster and I may have to finally part with Avira after 3 years.

I can confirm this. I wonder if it happens with trojans and viruses as well. This app falls under the "Application" threat category which isn't set in a default configuration so heuristics aren't an issue.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  13. Motherroad

Motherroad Registered Member

I wonder if the proactive module is messing up with the detection of the guard? Has this been tried without the proactive module enabled?

14. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

As soon as I click your link, instantly it denies access to the page.

Attached Files:

15. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I can confirm the problem others are having; Avira system scan stops on some files for many minutes before it continues. It's annoying.

16. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I've tried the same thing on another machine with Avira free, and the file doesn't execute. When I press "remove" a flat window appears for a few seconds "system is being scanned".

Attached Files:

17. 927

927 Registered Member

my answer was to JB40

18. 927

927 Registered Member

wrong post

19. 927

927 Registered Member

you've checked scan archives?

20. slowdive

slowdive Registered Member

I'm an avira user but now i'm using a trial version of Kaspersky PURE and i didn't get any alert when i downloaded/scanned/extracted passwordfox.zip.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  21. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

No, scan archives isn't checked. I followed incognito555's procedure, post #289, and double clicked the exe.

22. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Tool is safe. The domain is a freeware site with lots of useful tools many of us here use. Kaspersky has no reason to flag it as unsafe (as technically, it's not).

Avira on its highest settings should flag the program, as it can be used to reveal passwords. Not to say the program is unsafe, but if it was on your system without your knowledge, someone else might be trying to reveal your private information (passwords).

23. incognito555

incognito555 Registered Member

Yes the Nir Tools/Apps are safe just like Win Sysinternals apps. The problem with 10 is it guard scanning for reading and writing files doesn't function the same.

Try the test virus out:
    http://www.eicar.org/download/eicar_com.zip

If I am on free avira version 10 and open the zip file (no extraction) and then run the exe from inside the zip progam (tried with winrar and 7zip) the program launches in command but at least there's a message "access denied" in command. Then the guard will notify you of the virus.

However, with version 9 the command window would have never launched. The guard will kick in right away.

24. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

25. johnyjohn

johnyjohn Registered Member

Hi,

Please send the quarantined qua file (you can find quarantine folder in : C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\INFECTED (for Windows XP) - C:\ProgramData\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\INFECTED (for Windows Vista or 7) to Avira Virus Lab using this link, and select "Suspected False Positive (Not Malware)" from the drop down menu for File type. You will receive a complete report from the Lab.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.