Avira 10 launched

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Ibrad, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mvario

mvario Registered Member

http://www.filehippo.com/download_antivir/

2. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

I just noticed that I'm not getting any popup alerts on Vista x64 (or Server 2008 x64). All it does is deny acess to the file with no indication. Even if I set it to automatic with "Display detection alerts" checked, I get nothing. Anyone else using Avira Pro on x64?

3. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

As mentioned in Avira Forum and DSL Forum "if you have a paid version of Avira and you go back to version 9 YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO STAY ON VERSION 9. You will be upgraded AGAIN AUTOMATICALLY to version 10. This will occur, according to users in the forum, even if you have turned OFF Product Updates in Avira GUI."...:eek: :rolleyes:

4. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I was upgraded to version 10 also without my consent!! I wan't to stay with Version 9. Does anyone know how to keep from auto updating to version 10? I believe i already had the settings set to only update signatures, but i'm not sure. If you can't keep it from auto updating to version 10 then that is just plain stupid on Avira's part! Surely Avira did not do this to their customers.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  5. zerotox

zerotox Registered Member

Well that's a real killer. Leaving your customer without an option is not very wise. Even Microsoft doesn't force you to install updates!

6. zx81

zx81 Registered Member

this explains why my mailguard hangs outlook

http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=109625&0e9c785f

7. zx81

zx81 Registered Member

I got my order refunded promptly without quibble, so full marks to customer service. Really like Avira, so its a pity that it cannot do the incoming email anti virus scan for me (use Gmail) and that proactive is not yet ready for 64bit win7

Its not been a wasted time though, Ive learnt a lot about security. Maybe Avira 11 next year? Thats not a taunt as I was willing to pay full price for Avira.

...back to KIS2010 for next 12 months

8. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

9. xorrior

xorrior Registered Member

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  10. the mul

the mul Registered Member

I am afraid I have to disagree, I was running avira 10, but due to all sort of freezing issues and programme delays, I reverted back to version 9 and am running is just now and it is fully updated to the latest definitions and I have disabled product updates.

So I am happy once again and my system is back to normal, I just hope they gets these problems sorted out soon with avira 10.

You just have to look over on there forum and see that lots of people are having issues with version 10.

11. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

For any anti virus to be effective and stay on top, it has to incorporate the latest engine so I can understand why Avira wants its customers to use their latest program. Older engines would compromise the detection for sure.

12. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I too. :( I can't install right it. Probably the version 9 uninstallation - also using the tool and the instructions in Avira site - doesn't work completely; after the version 10 installation - system cleaned - I can't update it nor automatically neither manually, and also it freezes.

13. incognito555

incognito555 Registered Member

Guard is not working correctly on version 10 as good as version 9.
    I tried version 10 free personal on high heuristsic all threat catergories on both my pc and a clean virtualbox xp.

For example:
    Download this from NirSoft (displays saved firefox password): http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/passwordfox.zip

Don't extract the archive but just open with winrar/7zip an double click on the exe and it will run just fine, then the guard notification will come on but it is too late.

I'm back to version 9 since the guard works just fine and blocks the exe before it runs.

14. johnyjohn

johnyjohn Registered Member

Hi,
    Please have a look here.

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

as I stated, on 4 different setups, I am having no issues.

16. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Funny, I put avira 10 on a laptop, a quad core phenom and a dual quad xeon machine, all on x64 OS, two on XPx64, one on 7 and not a single issue so far. I am using avira free on all of them.

17. zerotox

zerotox Registered Member

Just to share with you that I installed Premium Security Suite 9 again and after unchecking product update, it only notified me with a pop-up in the low right corner but didn't update to version 10.

18. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

No problems here on 2 machines using Avira Premium (mail guard disabled, as I've never used it).

19. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

Am I the only one where v10 does not care about configuration at all ?

Although I clearly configured it to give me an interactive choice of what to do, it simply denies all access to that item (most are even F/P's) there breaking any copy/move/batch operation in progress.

And to make more weirdness to the scene, after it denies access to any F/P it starts some "unknown scan" which you cannot stop or anything, and it ALWAYS wants to reboot the system.

This must be the dumbest Anti-Virus product I've been working with until now.

I'm wondering who decided to release this buggy thing as a final product.o_O

20. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I saw somebody mention that the Email scanner won't work with GMail. Can somebody confirm this, and/or elaborate as to why that's the case (if true)? I was planning on buying the Premium version and that would be a HUGE deterrent for me, as I use GMail. What other email clients doesn't it work with? And conversely, what DOES it work with?

Also saw people contemplating whether it's advantageous to have a free version... well, I wouldn't be considering buying the premium if I hadn't tried (and liked) the personal. I'd imagine that holds true for a lot of people. I don't think there's any question that it's a benefit to let people try your product for free.

This ProActiv module isn't getting me too warm and fuzzy inside. It's sounding like bloat to me, which I hate in AV's. One of the most attractive things about Avira to me was how light it is. It just does what an AV is supposed to do without weighing it down with a bunch of extra junk, like many AV's do. I made the change from KAV because it was lighter, as some of the components in KAV (PDM/Network Monitor) were just overlapping with other software I had in place to do that job. I use stand alone products because they focus on just 1 thing... the job they were designed to do, and as a result do it better. I hope Antivir doesn't go in a different direction in this regard. Then again I haven't actually installed v.10 yet, so I can't personally attest to this ProActiv module. I'm only going on what I've heard, and what I've heard is less than flattering thus far.

I just saw a pop-up today to upgrade. I think it said support for v.9 will end on 9-30-10. I think I'll wait a bit so I can make an informed decision. I never like to install security software still in it's infancy anyway, there are always wrinkles that need ironed out. My query above (Email scanner w/ GMail) will weigh heavily into my decision.

Thanks in advance :)

21. trjam

trjam Registered Member

trust me, there isnt anything wrong with version 10 that a couple of updates wont correct soon. Folks act like the sky is falling ~Phrase removed~

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2010
  22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Poppycock, must be your keyboard.

23. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Folks like all products that come out of beta, give them a little time, ok. Avira ventured into new ground with this release and it will take a little of patience. But they will get it right, as always.

24. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

That sounds like a defensive position, which comes across as shady. "Trust me"... why? I don't think it wise to blindly trust somebody with the logo of the product as their avatar. The potential for bias is certainly there. And on the other side of the equation there are people who will blindly bash a product because they are either a competitor or a fan boy of said competitor.

As I said, I guess I'll wait for those "couple updates" then. I would rather have an outdated engine than one that will cripple my PC and thereby render any protection moot. This comment isn't a reflection of Avira. I'm using the product for a reason. It holds true for all security software in it's primordial stages of development.

If anybody can expand upon my query (Email scanner w/ GMail), that would be quite helpful.

25. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

I'm using Avira for on-demand only and it works great. Updates on it's own, the perfect compliment to Avast. Not sure why people are bashing Avira, they have always been one of the best AV programs out there. The only difference I see in the free version is the gui facelift. There is probably more under the hood but I don't care, ver 9 worked fine too!

Ice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.