Avira 10.0.0.635 Free

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Dermot7, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, Avast updates have always been great. The paid Avira has better update scheduling yes... but then you have to deal with the web guard slowing down your browsing. I have pretty much moved away from Avira also. There are plenty of alternatives.

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I wonder why each thread on Avira has quite a few posts promoting Avast.

Some sort of evangelism?

I'm quite happy with Avira Free and the updates from 8 to 9 and from 9 to 10 weren't disastrous as some have made out to be.

3. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Agreed though I've never tried the paid Avira so I cant really say I've tested it. But indeed, there are plenty of alternatives and I'm happy with my decision to move on.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

No, not really. When someone posts some sort of dissatisfaction with one product (Avira for example), it's sort of natural for another to suggest an alternative to it (Avast in this case). I wouldn't read too much into it....

5. happysunny

happysunny Registered Member

I like it very much, i use it every day, thanks

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

o_O I keep hearing about a slowdown but have yet to experience it.

7. rseiler

rseiler Registered Member

Does anyone have insight into when Avira free does scanning/detection other than these two times: scheduled and on-access?

There may be a third time: when there are new definitions.

I'm trying to figure out how Avira can possibly detect a couple files on my system when there's no scheduled scan happening and I'm not touching the files in question (and they're also not in memory--they're as dormant as can be). This phenomenon doesn't always coincide with new definitions either, though it did once.

From the Norton world, I understand the concept of idle scans, but Avira doesn't mention doing that. Also, it's not like I've noticed it taking much CPU at all (it's as low as any AV I've ever seen) or ever doing much of anything with the disk (outside of scheduled scans, which I have disabled).

In a way, its efficiency should be applauded, but on the other hand Avira's terrible misdefinition of the word "ignore" and especially the phrase "always ignore" means that I have to go well out of my way to make formal exceptions for each of these cases. I'd rather stop it from doing whatever it's doing, or at least understand it.

8. johnyjohn

johnyjohn Registered Member

Hi,

For security reasons, Always ignore means Always ignore until next reboot.
    To permanently exclude a file, just add it to the exception list.

9. mantra

mantra Registered Member

are you w7?
    it's the super prefech service
    put in the exclusion of the guard , should work

10. rseiler

rseiler Registered Member

@johnyjohn, that's what I've read about Always Ignore, but I don't think it's true anymore (and even if it was it would still be a misnomer). It seems to be true now only until the next update. I didn't reboot yesterday and was warned about the same file multiple times. There should be some function to add it to the list via the dialog presented to the user, as opposed to making the user take the long route you describe, and I'm hoping that's in v11. People have complained about this for years.

@mantra. Yes, and I never would have thought about Superfetch. That's certainly interesting. I have no idea what Superfetch is doing going into a random directory under Program Files (one that I haven't accessed in ages), for example, but I'm glad that Avira itself isn't doing it, since that's one of the things that drives me crazy about Norton.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.