AVGAS 7.5.1.36 does not start if guard.exe disabled or stopped

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by gorgelink, Jun 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Hi Peter.ewido,

I have no problem that avgas.exe run when using AVGAS, the problem is that I use AVGAS only on-demand and for that reason I will appreciate to have avgas.exe services on "manual" so it will start ONLY when AVGAS is start and stop when AVGAS is close, nothing else and with no trick or batch file to use to do that (too complicated!)...

Do you think that this is a change that could be made in the next version of AVGAS without us doing anything special (batch files or I don't know what)?

Thanks,
    Atomas31

2. tetonbob

tetonbob Spyware Fighter

Thanks for the clarification. :thumb:

3. dadkins

dadkins Registered Member

Has to run 24/7?
    Does nothing in the way of security for us free users?

Who's idea was this?

When will it be fixed? :doubt:

4. LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele Registered Member

Ewido,

Could you please tell me if using the previous version for on demand scanning is a viable option? Would one be able to get up-to-date anti malware updates?

I'm unhappy with Vista's impact on my (XP) solutions.

Thanks,

Michele

5. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Thanks Peter :thumb:
    I thought the same.

6. lucas1985

Hi Atomas31,
    It's not hard to learn batch files :)

7. Atomas31

Hi Lucas1985,

Thank's for the links but I don't intend to learn how to do batch file.
    For me the actual situation with avgas.exe is a bug that need to be resolved by AVG... Customer shouldn't have to learn how to do batch file to make avgas.exe act like it should:blink:

8. lucas1985

It seems a Vista side effect. I think that if a running service isn't present when you execute AVG AS, Vista will throw UAC prompts. That's the reason why the "core" functionality of AVG AS is delegated to guard.exe, a always running service with full rights.
    Maybe Peter can explain this in better terms.

9. Atomas31

I don't have Vista, I still have Windows XP with SP2...

10. lucas1985

I think that you misunderstood me.
    The changes made to AVG AS have been done to reach Vista compatibility. Since there's only one build, Vista-related changes affect non-Vista users.
    Hope it's more clear now :)

11. Lucy85

Lucy85 Registered Member

It asks me to reinstall AVGAS when i run the batch file, is something wrong?

12. Atomas31

Well, I did misunderstood you:rolleyes: sorry...

In anycase, in that situation they should have two build (one for XP and one for Vista) and rectifie the situation in regard of the service avgas.exe. Right now, it seems that those that have vista have problem with it so as those with XP o_O

13. dadkins

I disabled/killed guard.exe.
    I restarted guard.exe and tried to start AVG AS... I got the same "Reinstall" dialog.
    Restarted the computer and guard.exe started by itself, AVG AS started normally.

If this is how it is going to stay... then AVG AS(ewido) will no longer be a part of my machines.

It's not like I can't use a replacement, but it is a bad move to have yet another process that is useless for us free version users.
    Guard.exe is not doing anything here when AVG AS is not running so WTF?

XP machines here - we no need no stinking Vista.
    Well, it's been fun while it lasted!

CYA!

14. Lucy85

Lucy85 Registered Member

Ok, i found out you just need to set the guard service to manual, and you'll be able to run the batch file. It won't load itself on the next boot if you set it to manual.

Annoying but oh well... I would probably dump AVG A-S and use SUPERAntispyware for demand scanning instead.

15. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

/\ /\This /\ /\

I guess I'll keep 7.5.0.50 for as long as is practical, and then ditch it. :mad:

2 questions;
    1) will 7.5.0.50 be able to "use" updates written for the newer version?
    2) is there any way to stop 7.5.0.50 from updating to 7.5.1.36? As in, does it ask, or just update the main app along with the databse?

16. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

hello

Just perusing this forum while thinking about updating ( heh from Ewido 4) on seldom used snapshot; also use this as on demand and appreciative of free option

@ dadkins:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1021575&postcount=38
    @lucy
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1021645&postcount=39

You got it.

No doubt this is a vista issue but still BS:
    writing code to fulfil the intent of the app is a poor solution imo...and ...if the batch file can be written and actually works then surely it can be set-up within the app.

Think I'll be getting this off too. Too fiddly
    Shame really because I've only ever heard good reports about the memory scanner never sure whether the ewido app had to be running in real time to have full access to this.?

Edit: ?? similar issues with A2
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1022299&postcount=52

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  17. dadkins

Yeah, getting pretty sad when software is being trashed just so it can run in Vista.

...and people wonder why some of us don't like Vista... DUH!

*On Demand* means it runs when I decide to click it.
    When I close it, it should... close.

Having some service still running that does nothing productive is a waste.
    a2 is history too!

Anyone else want a free ride to the Recycle Bin?

18. Atomas31

Don't forget SpySweeper, who has the same problem and I think, from what I have read that the new Ad-Aware 2007 also have the same problem :rolleyes:

I believe that your Recycle Bin is gonna be full before long :D

19. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

LOL: long gone from here. :thumbd:

Unfortunately, with the Vista "security" changes (UAC) usability may be a casualty.
    YES.

Heh: Dadkins you'll be back with BOClean before you know it. :D

Get a couple of copies of XPPro asap ??
    Y'all notice how hard it is getting to be getting those copies? :mad:

Here in Oz all the "big" retailers have already taken it off the shelf : a few copies left on the web retailers and possibly some smaller specialty shops.

20. dadkins

XP pre-installed on all three laptops, I don't have to worry about it.

Yeah, I have people on other boards trying to explain it away as being alright to have all this happening.
    Well, for the Vista users.. I couldn't care less, sorry!

*I* use XP. There is no reason to have 10? 20? 50? different services just sitting in memory so o_O application(s) will start when I click the freakin icon.

The older versions closed when we closed them.
    I have enough running processes now, I don't need one for EVERY piece of software I own to be running 24/7!

Someone suggested to set the services to manual... that don't work!
    Start the service manually and try to run the program - "Please reinstall the program"... WTF?

Right. :doubt:

21. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I have 5 on demand scanners that I keep around and 3 of them (so far), ad-aware, AVG and a2 just gained new processes in the last week. Processes that just sit there doing nothing :mad: . The only good that I can take away with me is knowing that a Vista user doesn't have to answer a prompt. I'm thrilled :cautious:

Please find a way for us XP and other users to turn this off, or completely strip it down to a minimal idle. I believe A2 does a nice job of this. I'm still not happy about running an extra process that I'm not using.

For what it's worth, Ad-aware is not longer allowed back on my system until they trim their service down.

22. dadkins

Yeah. I have people... trying to explain these services away... and not one of them is addressing the fact that *I* no hava da Vista so I no needa da services to run these programs.

Wait for it!
    There will be more, and us few that have noticed these few will be able to say "I told ya so" when *THEY* wake up! ;)

23. Get

Get Guest

How many on-demand-only stuff must you have installed to be bothered by the services they have running and how many of those do you have installed/will you ever install....? There seems to be a wide gap between those figures I guess.

24. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I, for one, am not about to uninstall it. Though it is irritating being an XP user and having to suffer the inflictions caused by Vista, the actual amount of memory usage by the AVG guard is tiny, indicating 516Kb here. The A2 service shows 1784Kb. The Adaware service a whopping 22940Kb.
    But get this: After running a "memory" scan with AVG AS, the figure for A2 drops to (and remains at or below) 140Kb. AVG guard remains at 516. Adaware drops to 400Kb.
    Somehow the scanning action causes the memory used by non active services to decrease. Radically in AdAware's case.
    Apparently Windows releases memory from stuff not needing it to stuff that does need it, when the chips are down, so I don't know if the AVG scanning action actually is likely to make a noticeable difference to performance in the real world. And since my 1G of RAM is more than adequate right now, it's not really an issue for me.
    However, those on slower systems should, I guess, definitely set the service to manual, and turn it on as it's needed.
    This issue of services running in the free version of scanners is certainly rapidly becoming more common. 3 in the past week or so.
    Anyone know if SAS is likely to have the same sort of thing occurring, in the future?

25. EUS

EUS Registered Member

The silence is deafening.
    XP's security should not be comprimised to enable usage for Vista, especially when it comes to SECURITY SOFTWARE. If interoperability problems exist between two seperate OS's, then two releases of security software seems to be the logical choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.