AVG Update

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Cochise, Sep 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hi Marianna,

Just whilst we are on the subject of AVG updates.....on a few occasions when I've opened my AVG and it says AVG Uptodate, I've clicked the update process anyway and got an Updateo_O??.......Anybody else tried that?

Regards Cochise. :cool:

2. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

Re:AVG Update 08.09.2003

HI Cochise

Yep, that happens as most of the time the servers are too busy. I just got the "up-to-date" on my free version, but you can also go here:

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_updt6.php?avg6=fe
    amd download this file:

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
    Update Number 516
    Update File d6032lhj.bin
    Language English
    Size 3771314 bytes
    Date 08.09.2003

3. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Thanks Marianna.......already got it.

Sorry about the wrong Post, just thought it pertained to updates......DOH!

Regards, Cochise. :cool: :oops:

4. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

No problem Cochise, :)

The threads in the update section get cleaned out when the next update comes along.
    So any reactions should be posted in the related forum, or they will be lost forever.

Regards,

Pieter

5. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

AVG AntIVirus

Ok, my AVG AntVirus can be updated, but the problem is i click "Update" butotn and it says "Its already up-to-date" My virus database is from 9/1/2003 and theres a new update on http://www.grisoft.com so I thought it was my auto-up-date, I downloade dthe update, put it in the C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG6\UPDATE directory they said to put it in (Yes, AVG is installed to the right area) I loaded AVG and it didnt recognize the file! so I dont know what to do :mad: :doubt:

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Merged the above AVG update posting into the existing thread as I think this is all related...

I'm running AVG6 Free and I'm still trying to figure out today's update myself at the moment. This is what I have so far...

I ran the built-in update check and it took several attempts over a half hour period for it to find an available update. Each time before that, it said I was already up to date. When I did get the update, it was a kit 1507KB in size. When it was extracted, it turned out to be an "all program" update - no anti virus definitions, just program modules.

It went through the normal process for a program type update, which requires a reboot... Since the update alert says there should also be virus defs, I continue to try for those periodically, but still haven't gotten them. My version is currently what's in image below...

Attached Files:

7. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

Funny part is - I have the paid version AND the free version.

Paid version shows this:

http://members.shaw.ca/schmudlach/AVG.jpg

Free version shows exactly what LWM has.

I have written an e-mail to AVG - hope, I will get a reply tomorrow and will let you know :D

8. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I also caught this with my firewall, I have it temporarily blocked, dunno if I should allow it or not, its AVGSERV9.EXE, also this is suppose to be AutoUpdate right? but I had the AutoUpdate allowed for it before, and its still clicked off on sygate, so, I dunno what to do now, argh.

9. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

HI Comp 01

I have that file in C:\ Program files \ Grisoft | AVG 6 \ AVGSERV9.EXE as "application"

10. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Yeah, thats where mine is, it was trying to connect to a HTTP, probably there website, but I blocked it, problem is, I though I had the update feature allowed to go through? maybe the actual file updates (Main version number) affected that?

11. LowWaterMark

Well, if you got the program update portion of today's AVG update, like I mention above, then all the AVG programs have changed. Therefore, your firewall may have seen the change and disallowed the access. (A good firewall has signatures of programs and when they change, you need to reapprove them.)

12. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Also, the update feature is AVGINET.EXE not AVGSERV9.EXE ahh, so confusing, I've been using AVG for about a year and some months now, no problems until now o_O :'(

13. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

I just looked in my avginet.log

"08 September 2003, 11:14:01 - Internet is connected
    08 September 2003, 11:14:01 - Local system uses a local area network to connect to the Internet.
    08 September 2003, 11:14:01 - Internet session is prepare for connected
    08 September 2003, 11:14:02 - http://www.grisoft.com/softw/60/uk/avg6info.ctf is open
    08 September 2003, 11:14:02 - Accept Ranges: bytes
    08 September 2003, 11:14:02 - Content Length: 588
    08 September 2003, 11:14:02 - AVG CTF File

"d6032t7a.bin" s=3596833 v=6 t=517 r=0 l=6 ;

"d6032x6c.bin" s=2945448 v=6 t=517 r=515 l=6 ;

"d6032x6m.bin" s=1423978 v=6 t=517 r=516 l=6 ;

"s6032t7a.bin" s=3463027 v=6 t=517 r=0 l=56 ;

"s6032x6c.bin" s=2810618 v=6 t=517 r=515 l=56 ;

"s60
    08 September 2003, 11:14:04 - http://www.grisoft.com/softw/60/uk/d6032x68.bin is open
    08 September 2003, 11:14:04 - Accept Ranges: bytes
    08 September 2003, 11:14:04 - Content Length: 2945133
    08 September 2003, 11:15:46 - ************ Update file is Download *************
    08 September 2003, 11:16:10 - Update file was succesfully received ! <!><!>AVG Anti-Virus for Windows will be launched to finish the update process. <!>If the program does not start automatically, please run it yourself as soon as possible."

AVGINET.EXE is dated here 15/07/2003

14. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I dunno if I should allow it or what, I was gonna paste what Sygate firewall said about it, and I forgot, and copied something else, and lost it, argh, AVGSERV9.EXE is something else, AVGINET.EXE is the update prog, but I'm still wondeirng if I should sllow AVGSERV9.EXE access?

15. LowWaterMark

I'll give you my perspective on this... You are trusting AVG as one of the most important pieces of security software on your system. You trust it to keep your system virus free. While I also am curious when things change on my system and I often try to find out what things are doing, in the end you have to decide if you trust Grisoft (the markers of AVG) or not.

I'd probably allow it. However, if you are still concerned, post here the entire properties of the avgserv9.exe file. The sizes, dates and the information on the version tab and perhaps Marianna can confirm if you both have the same file (in case you think you have a bad download).

Edit: Oh, the reason I can't confirm it for you is because I'm on WinXP and AVG downloads different files for NT based systems. I don't even have a avgserv9.exe file. I have avgserv.exe.

16. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Ok, I'll post up the entire Properties:

General:
    Avgserv9
    Type: Application
    Size: 20.0KB (20,480 bytes), 20,280 bytes used
    ---------------------------------
    MS-DOS Name: AVGSERV9.EXE
    Created: Friday, August 01, 2003 4:51:17 PM
    Modified: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 6:00:00 AM
    Accessed: Monday, September 08, 2003
    ----------------------------------
    Version:
    File Version: 6.0.1.374
    Description: AvgServ - displays notification message
    Copy Right: Copyright (c) GRISOFT, s.r.o. 1998-2002
    -----
    Other Version Information:

Item name: Value:
    Company Name GRISOFT, s.r.o
    Internal Name AvgServ
    Language English (United States)
    Orignal File Name AvgServ
    Prpduct Name AVG6
    Product Version 6.0.1.374
    ------
    Thats the full properties of it.

17. LowWaterMark

That's even very close to the Windoes NT version (avgserv.exe), same file size and almost every other field except that the internal version on the NT variant is 6.0.1.9 (and therefore the creation date is much older, too.)

If someone with the Win9x version can confirm it's all the same as yours, then I'd seriously doubt you've got a malicious imposter there. Then it simply comes back to whether you trust whatever Grisoft has that module doing. :doubt:

You know, it may not even be trying to hit an Internet site itself. It might simply be network-aware, or it's linking to a networked facility in the OS, and since the module changed with this update, it's asking for permission in your firewall.

18. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Yeah, I'll wait and see if someone posts the Win98 propertie, or 9x propertie info, and then I'll just let it through, I've delt with Grisoft for a little over a year or so, and have had no problems, so yeah.

19. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

I have almost the same. Only my date created is July 9, 2002 , modified July 9, 2002. Size is 20.0KB (20.480 bytes) 24,576 bytes used. All the rest is the same, I don't think you have to fear anything.

I found the info on my win98 computer.

20. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

I received a reply to my e-mail:

"Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email.

The AVG Free Edition doesnt have guarenteered spee of update
    download. That means when the server with updates for the AVG Free
    Edition is overloaded, it can refuse other connections.

Your AVG 7 Licence Number has been sent to your mailbox right now.
    Please chack your mailbox.

Best regards,

Mirek Makovec
    AVG Technical Support"

21. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Problem is, I even tried a MANUAL update, (Download update file, put it int he AVG UPDATE directory, load AVG, etc etc) and it didnt update... I'm thinking on re-downloading AVG :doubt:

22. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

I still did NOT get the update (Sept.:cool: on my FREE version. Only my paid version updated immediately.I also tried the manual update for my FREE one - that one has NOT the date Sept. 8 it is still the same as I had before I got the manual download. Guess, you have to wait - I just tried it again, I still get an "up-to-date" - you are NOT alone !

23. LowWaterMark

Well, it's fairly obvious that they are delaying the release of the virus defs to the Free product users. The difference this time from the last few times we've seen this, (just since they set the limited download sites for the AVG6 Free users), is that those other times the defs were available the next day. I always got them the next morning / noontime (in my time zone) before, but now it's the next night and they haven't come yet.

While it may be a longer delay just because of the demands of people downloading the program updates, (i.e. network download capacity), it could also be a sign of more serious delays for the Free product users. We must keep our eyes open on future updates.

For myself, I've been procrastinating as far as getting a more powerful and pay AV for quite a while now. Perhaps it's time to do just that. (Maybe I'll evaluate F-Prot for Windows.)

24. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Yeah, My computer isnt worth a pay-for AV prog, I uh, hated Avast :doubt: and now I'm still waiting in getting the Sept 8th update for AVG free edition, I even uninstalled, and reinstalled AVG and am now still back with the version I had before!

Guess its just a waiting game eh? :doubt:

Attached Files:

25. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

Did you have a look in C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG6\Updates??

You'll find the latest update is:

d6032lhj.bin created September 8, 2003

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.