AVG update delay for AVG Free users

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Pretender, Jun 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

Update manager for free version hadn't picked this update up as of 7:45 pm Illinois, USA time so I downloaded from Grisoft:

http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_updt.php

- Thread was split off from the Update Alerts posting regarding a 06/18/03 AVG update - LWM

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Yes, I've been trying every hour or so myself since I first saw this post and still no update. :(

I decide not to download the update file from the website, and to wait and see how long it is before they provide the automatic update to the AVG Free users. I think this is the first time, (since they only just recently separated the download sites for the pay and free users), that they've delayed releasing the virus updates to the AVG Free users. :doubt:

I'll split this portion of the thread off later and move it to the "other anti-virus software" forum so we can keep track of this issue through future updates as well.

3. Nick

Nick Registered Member

Re:AVG update 6.18.03

Just checked again with the auto updater and it says that AVG is up to date. There's talk over at Spywareinfo.com about this. Someone posted that this update isn't for all versions, but it's for the free version? Some sort of confusion is definately going on.

http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=7020&s=15806c5e90751b4623e622de5548c2f1

4. LowWaterMark

Yes, the built-in updater in AVG Free 6.0 is still showing me as up to date with the defs from June 16th.

Attached Files:

5. Nick

Nick Registered Member

Well, I finally got the auto updater to download the newest update. All seems well now.

6. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Thanks for keeping us posted, Nick ;)

regards.

paul

7. Pretender

Hope this isn't a sign of things to come?!? :eek:

8. LowWaterMark

Well, I guess we'll soon see. We can track it here and see if they always delay the release to the AVG Free users, or if this was just some kind of update server sync problem that they've now resolved.

9. minacross

minacross Registered Member

it is available since 6/18 !!
    http://www.pcqanda.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=2&topic_id=231219&mesg_id=231219&listing_type=search

Attached Files:

• Cl2.gif
      Cl2.gif
      File size:
      2.3 KB
      Views:
  10. LowWaterMark

Hi minacross,

I've look at that thread, and I don't quite understand your point. Yes, I know the download was available via the full update file on the website right from the beginning, however, the built-in updater in AVG Free was not providing it until much later (the next day, in fact, for me).

People at SpywareInfo also confirmed this (see link above).

11. minacross

minacross Registered Member

I mean that the update was available on both the US and the Czech site..
    Just wondering if there is a bug in the update feature as a can not find the option to download the update from the US site (as it was before some recent update, when this option just disappeared !!)

12. LowWaterMark

No, actually it's not a bug. Starting with the virus definition update released on May 27, and with every update released since then, AVG has included a small program with the download that is launch as part of the update process...

Quote from another forum (link):

That program's entire purpose is to remove from the registry the multiple sites from the built-in updater in AVG and replace them with just the one site allowing the AVG Free product to be updated (i.e. free.grisoft.cz). This allows the producers of AVG to separately release updates to their AVG Pro and Free users.

That's why we were talking about being concerned that this may be a sign of things to come. However, we do not know that Grisoft is planning to do this, it's just this change makes it possible. This last update was the first time there was any delay in providing the updates to the AVG Free users so there is no pattern here, just a possible concern.

Attached Files:

13. Nick

Nick Registered Member

I'll be sounding off on my experiences when the next update comes. I'm thinking it's just a one time problem they had this time. We are talking about an anti virus app, so a many hours delay is not really a satisfactory option. While the update was on the AVG site to download, not every person out there may feel comfortable updating that way.

In any event, we will find out after some more updates come out.

14. Pretender

There is another update today 6/24 that is available but not being picked up by my program yet. If you want to do a manual then you can go to:

http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_updt.php

- Removed the unique session ID from link - LWM

15. LowWaterMark

Yes, this looks like a pattern now to me...

That update has been available on the Grisoft website for many hours, and apparantly AVG Pro users can get it via built-in updater. However, AVG Free's built-in updater is not seeing it yet.

I guess I can understand Grisoft's wish to provide better service to the people who've bought the product (AVG Pro), and to save bandwidth from the AVG Free users...

Let's see if we can establish the pattern of just how long it takes before they make it available to AVG Free users. Last time is was rather more than 12 hours. (I don't know the exact time because I eventually went to sleep and it was there in the morning.)

16. Nick

Nick Registered Member

My auto updater doesn't see the new update yet.....

I'm going to bed, so that should keep me safe from the viruses for the time being. :)

17. LowWaterMark

Looks like it was about 20 hours or so from the first release of the update until it was available to the internal updater of the AVG6 Free product.

18. Gnostic

Gnostic Registered Member

I have AVG Free on a desktop and a laptop. At 11:30 am EST, the laptop edition picked up the 6-24 update. As of 12:16 pm EST, the desktop program is still not picking it up. Shouldn't both programs have picked it upo_O o_O Does anyone know what's going on?

Regards,

Gnostic :cool:

19. Gnostic

Gnostic Registered Member

Well.....as of 12:43 pm EST, my desktop program picked up the update. Perhaps their servers were overloaded?

Regards,

Gnostic :cool:

20. Pretender

LowWaterMark, You were suppose to stay up until the update was available!!!! :eek:

Now there's another d602xrn7.bin and this one I get with update manager. :doubt:

21. LowWaterMark

Sorry!! I just got too tired to stay up clicking the update button over and over. :D

Yes, I got this new one right away, (well, as soon as I saw there was one available, about an hour ago.) Hmm, perhaps when it's an emergency update, (like this one for the new Sobig.E outbreak), they don't hold back any resources and get all the users protected as fast as possible.

22. Nick

Nick Registered Member

I downloaded the 493 update earlier today and never got the 492 update. It took me awhile before I even realized that. As to why there was no delay for the 493 update, pehaps it was because there was already a delay for the 492 one and it was only a day later, they aren't delaying the auto updater for the free version anymore, they didn't want too much confusion by having 2 different updates, or any other number of reasons.

I'll give them a few more updates before I make a final decision. However, aren't all viruses an emergency? Yes, some are far more deadly than others, but are there any good viruses out there that warrant a 15+ hour delay?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.