AVG scan-potentially dangerous object

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Liloly, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liloly

Liloly Registered Member

I have recently installed AVG 8 free (used to have AVG 7.5) and it seems better than when it was first launched. (I reverted back to 7.5 in April as it slowed my system too much)
    It is a lot better now, however I found one item under the Warnings on my first scan.
    As it wont let me copy the result I have done my best to show it below

HKLM\System\controlset002\Control\Deviceclasses\{6994AD04-93F-11D04-93EF-11D0-A3CC-00A0c9223196} then there are a lot more numbers/letters and it ends with Wave\Device Parameters\Mixer\ 6\controls\0

Then it says Adware:roguesuspect

As it is simply a warning I am not really concerned, but I wondered if anyone has any idea what it may mean. I dont want to start messing with something I know nothing about.

I have scanned with Sybot and Superantispyware and both are clean.
    I run XP with SP2 and have all critical updates installed.

2. DarkButterfly

DarkButterfly Registered Member

quote removed

Those might be malware samples used, perhaps, by SAS and Spybot. When I tested AVG, it used to give all those warnings.

But just for some peace of mind why don't you try scanning with another av?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2008
  3. Dave2609

Dave2609 Registered Member

removed whole quote

Could be a FP but I would scan with an other AV just to be safe.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2008
  4. hex_614

hex_614 Registered Member

nothing to worry, the warning is cause by spybot S&D immunization process. if you immunize your computer spybot is using preventive measures in your system for you not to infect with that kind of spyware. nothing to worry

5. DarkButterfly

I have installed both Spybot and SAS along side with AVG 8 Free and nothing was detected. I had no warnings at all.

6. hex_614

if your using the latest version of avg 8.0.138 it does not detect the protection immunization that spybot did. but if your using the 8.0.134 or below it will still detect those as warnings.

7. DarkButterfly

I used to use AVG 8 Pro and I do remember that it gave me alot of warnings. I sent them all to AVG Labs to take them out on their next updates and they did.

I never had those warnings again. And still don't with AVG 8 Free, now.

@Liloly

The best thing would be to quarantine those warnings, send to AVG, and then reapply the imunization of Spybot, if that's the case. Actually, if that is the case, then if you open Spybot's Imunization field you will see some unprotected items. Reapply those protections.

Perhaps next time you update you will see no longer those warnings.

Best regards

8. Liloly

Liloly Registered Member

I did remove the object and ran a scan which was clear.
    I then rebooted and did aother scan and it immediately reappeared.

I know it is nothing to do with the immunizations on spybot/spywareblaster as they were all still intact after I removed the item.

I have the same system/software on my laptop which is a new machine (pc is 4 years old) and the only difference is pc is xp home and laptop is xp professional. AVG scan on laptop is clear.

There is no point is worrying about it as I see it because it is a warning and not an infection. If I try another antivirus, I have heard that some of them are prone to generating more false positives than AVG.

I will leave it for now and possibly try another av in due course if the warnning is still there.

9. hex_614

as you said your using your super old laptop. have you use ccleaner? its a free tools for cleaning garbage on your pc, it cleans very good. try it and see if there's a difference. and you can also try scanning with other anti virus via online scanning. like trendmicro housecall, eset online scanner or microsoft online scanner. it helps too. you dont need to install them you just need to be connected to the internet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.