AVG says I already have antivirus but I don't! Help

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mark40511, Jul 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark40511

mark40511 Registered Member

I hope someone here has some input. I have a laptop with windows xp home that originally came with Mcafee anti virus. I used that for maybe a year and decided to go with avg free. I UNINSTALLED Mcafee using their uninstall tool. I then installed AVG free a couple of years ago. Yesterday, I went to update AVG and the update didn't take, read on forum to unistall AVG and reinstall it, which I did the way I was recommended to do so. Now AVG tells me upon install that it detects another antivirus on my computer, it strongly recommends that I uninstall this before proceeding. But other than Mcafee and AVG, there has never been any other antivirus software on this computer. I have a wireless router that has a built in firewall, High speed DSL with Windstream and the windows xp home edition firewall enabled as well. I have Spybot S&D, Advanced Windows Personal Care, Ccleaner. My laptop runs beautifully, there really are no problems. But it just bugs me that AVG says I have another anti virus and perhaps something could go wrong down the road.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

What does it say is installed when you look in the Security Center?

3. mark40511

when I go to control panel/security center. all three items are "ON". Under "antivirus" it says windows has found more than one anti virus on this system with one that reports that it is up to date and virus scanning is on. It doesn't really say what is installed. Nothing in add/remove programs though.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

5. mark40511

Much appreciated!

I followed those instructions, rebooted and going to the windows security center it tells me that my anti virus is working and is up to date. So this was why AVG was reporting another anti virus when in fact there wasn't one?

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

It could have been :doubt:

7. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

It happens sometimes with XP...

..especially if you used mcafee, f-secure, symantec and avg :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.