AVG is offering a free Link Scan program

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by robinb, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I haven't yet installed the new LinkScanner. I am unclear on the "Yahoo"(?) Toolbar part. Is there an option during the installation process that allows for it to not be installed? If yes, does not installing the Yahoo Toolbar have any negative effect on LinkScanner's performance?

Thank you.

2. Criss

Criss Registered Member

I am also having the same problem as Firzen but mine happen in FF 3.08 and IE7. The exploit is nt detected by avg linkscanner. :doubt: But the search result work.

I think maybe there are some conflict between avira webguard and avg link scanner.

3. N2thuWild

N2thuWild Registered Member

hmmmm, very strange, it worked for me earlier and now it is not.:( Update, I removed with Revo, re downloaded and installed and this time it worked again, but I do not know if I totally trust it now?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  4. progress

progress Guest

I also heard about this ...

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

idk then, very strange :doubt:

7. Criss

Criss Registered Member

With avira webguard turned off, the exploit is still nt detected by linkscanner. Strange.:doubt:

8. N2thuWild

N2thuWild Registered Member

Hi again, After removing and reinstalling last night it detected the exploit and I tried it again this morning and it worked again.:D I do not have Avira, I have NIS 2009, Prevx, etc.I also have GeSWall but AVG Link Scanner does not work when I use that. I have not rebooted since install last night so guess I will do that and see if AVG Link Scanner still works.

UPDATE, Rebooted and AVG Link Scanner did NOT detect exploit!! Anyone have any ideas as to why??

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  9. robinb

robinb Registered Member

what yahoo toolbar? I installed it and there was no yahoo toolbar only the AVG toolbar and yes you have the option to install it or not. just do it as a custom install

robin

10. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Yahoo is part of the AVG Security Toolbar. You have the option of not installing the AVG Security toolbar during installation. Of course, you can always disable it in your browser after installation. See here for an explanation.

11. robinb

robinb Registered Member

btw i do not have the toolbar on my avg pro version installed just the link scanner and when doing the test i got the same popup from avg as you all got. You do not have to have the toolbar installed for it to do this. It is doing this via the webshield that is installed in avg.
    robin

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Doesn't work with avast! WebShield...

Only adding this to WebScanner section in "avast4.ini":

Code:
    [WebScanner]
    OptIn=1
    OptinProcess=avgnsx.exe

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  13. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

just got updated to FF 3.5 Beta 4 and now AVG Search Shield is incompatible with it, anyone else get the same?

14. progress

progress Guest

Yes, it's a FF Beta. It should work with FF 3.5 :) We had the same problem with FF 2.0 -> FF 3.0!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.