AVG IS AV and Free 2011 Beta is out

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by gery, Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

From the beta protal

2. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Tested beta 2 with the Free Simulation trick again, just as with beta 1 the Identity Protection is included (together with Anti-Rootkit and PC Analyzer [which however can't repair, you have to buy AVG PC Tune Up to be able to clean repair found issues]).

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

That one made my day!

So, I was told by an AVG staff member that it were the costumers who requested for the components provided by the PC Analyzer, after they made a survey. I must have missed the survey, though. I wonder... Anyway, did these same costumers ask for a tool to tell them what they can repair, but that they actually need to pay for something else to actually do the job? What the heck?

So, they pay for PC Analyzer, but this tool they'll be paying for won't do nothing, at all?! Bad move, AVG.
    I mean, it's already bad a security application bundling cleaning tools like those, which, in the case of a registry cleaner, does more harm than good, but having people to pay for those tools, but not being able to use them, instead telling them to buy another one? Sure, it makes sense, if they wish to go down the rogue way?

4. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

I found out the PC Analyzer is nothing more than an QuickScan tool built by Auslogics. So it seems when you buy AVG PC Tune Up you are actually buying the Auslogics Registry Cleaner and so on.

5. m00nbl00d

That's shameful. I mean, many users rather wishing for new and improved security implementations, such as sandboxing, and they rather put some crapy (as in more damage than good) tools on it, but can't even do such by themselves, rather using third-party tools.

I'm wondering what the heck they're expecting? Is it a registry cleaner or whatever, that will keep their users safer from the Internet dangers, and other sorts of dangers, such as USB drives?

I clap my hands.

But, if you actually look at it, AVG has nothing great that they can call it's truly theirs. LinkScanner, IDP (just renamed by them, nothing else, really), the antispyware engine, which AFAIK is still ewido?

I wonder if AVG can do anything by themselves? Beats me, but every sign shows me they can't.

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Ewido no longer exists as a company or an engine, it's all been integrated into a single engine now. However, AVG has done a very good job of integrating all these components into their product. At least that shows some kind of skill on AVG's part.

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

But he's still right. If you take AVIRA or avast! for example, they both have large majority of components build in-house. AVIRA i think it has it all (except maybe anti-spam), avast! is using a licensed anti-spam engine and anti-rootkit tech that they acquired. But everything else was made by them from the ground up. AVG on the other hand, the core is really what it used to be like 6 years ago. They acquired and integrated pretty much all the stuff from the others.

8. progress

progress Guest

I think it's ok to buy an effective product (like AVG IDP / Norton Anti-Bot). This behaviour blocker is just better than Avast Behaviour Shield or Avira Pro Active :thumb: :D ;)

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

For now. avast! is suppose to get on a similar level with version 5.1 coming in Q3 or Q4. Till then, i trust ThreatFire the most to do that job. Have tested it and results were superb. Plus it's free.

10. progress

progress Guest

I hope so too because it's free :)

11. m00nbl00d

I don't have nothing against acquiring other products and improve them, etc. The thing is, AVG seems to be more worried about a damn set of cleaning tools, which I was told, by them, that it was part of a survey to clients.
    I know there other security companies also bundle such sort of tools, but those tools, like registry cleaners, do more harm than good. Not only that, but they also seem, according to user Matthijs5nl, it is a set of tools that are licensed from Auslogics. Plus, this will only detect what needs to be cleaned, and then costumers, who already paid for this set of tools, when buying the new AVG IS, when it comes out, will have to pay for some other set of tools to actually get rid of what PC Analyzer component says they need to get rid of.
    Now, is it me, or this seems rogue, shady business, or whatever you folks like to call it?
    If the costumers will pay for a tool, then that tool is suppose to the full job, rather than advise costumers to buy one other. That's just my thought, anyway.

And, the tools that AVG acquired, the component Identity Protection (name given by AVG) has not be improved since acquired from SANA, that I know of. Still the same, only with a difference "skin".
    AVG Linkscanner is a great security application, which already was before AVG acquiring it. Sure, it got better, specially considering it would waste a lot bandwidth to webmasters. That's a plus, but I'm wondering if the great on-going development of LinkScanner isn't due to Roger Thompson, which was the main head (That I know of.) at the former security company owning Linkscanner before AVG acquired it, and who is part of AVG.
    So, my question would be: Without Roger Thompson as part of AVG, would LinkScanner still be a great tool? I wonder.

It was suggested in AVG's beta forum to incorporate sandboxing technology to secure costumers even further, but they rather put some set of cleaning tools, which won't actually clean, at all, and that they're not even the original developers of such tools.

Note that I have nothing against cleaning tools being part of security suites.... Not that I like it, I just am not against it. But, first comes security and a pretty damn great security, then whatever they want and wish to incorporate.

12. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Please make it like 7.5 Way lighter!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ZOmg! i miss 7.5 no complicated GUI.

13. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

It is really good to see AVG is trying to retain its lost popularity.. :thumb:

14. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

IMO it's popularity is still very good, as I see it on quite a few PCs here compared to Avast, Avira or even MSE (talking about the free versions here).

15. m00nbl00d

The only thing great about AVG are LinkScanner and Identity Protection, which are not their technology. They bought them.

MSE, according to latest reviews, is a great antimalware application, specially considering it is free.
    Joining MSE to LinkScanner, which is also free, is a great combination for the millions of users who don't know other means to protect themselves.

AVG just doesn't seem to be wanting to do what needs to be done: A better security for those millions of users, by developing new security technologies into their products line, hence increasing security.
    They rather bundle a set of cleaning (not security related!) tools, which will only tell the users what they can remove, and they advise them to buy some other set of tools, while they already paid for a set of tools, that was/is suppose to clean, after all they paid for it!
    This, in my book, sounds like rogue! Shame on AVG.

16. progress

progress Guest

Are you testing the latest beta version? :)

17. m00nbl00d

The 2nd one, no.

Also, note that my comments were based on the comment of one other user. My comments aren't the know-all. I'll try and see if I can download the 2nd beta, after I finish downloading more important application updates.

If things are not as told, then the scenario isn't as dark! But, I truly hope - if not the case already! - for AVG to reconsider at least the sandboxing technology in their products, at least IS.

18. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I doubt they will add a sandbox this far into a beta test.

19. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

testing this out now

20. PintoX

PintoX Registered Member

Any date for the final release?

21. progress

progress Guest

I'm still waiting ... :doubt:

22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I'd really like to know what they are cooking for a free version. But so little info is known it's almost ridiculous.

23. PintoX

PintoX Registered Member

Maybe with this version AVG makes virus signatures updates hourly like Bitdefender, Symantec, Kaspersky...

I have the AVG Pro and it update only 1/2 times per day

24. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Any idea about the release date of v2011?

25. PintoX

PintoX Registered Member

Good question...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.