AVG IS AV and Free 2011 Beta is out

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by gery, Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

In the situations I described nothing was changed in the hardware. AVG was uninstalled to make the installation of a service pack faster and safer. The license key was either copied from the original email or it was copied and pasted (from the product license page) into a text file before the product was uninstalled and then copy/pasted back into AVG during the reinstall, which produced an invalid license error. Any ideas as to why that happens?

2. buckslayr

buckslayr Registered Member

Has anyone tested this new version to see how effective it is?

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

They may be responsive via email, but that doesn't help during on-site service calls. I need to make sure the customer's security software is working properly before I leave, not tell him he has to wait for AVG to respond via email to resolve a license problem. Other companies offer phone and chat support so this kind of problem can be resolved immediately. In these situations I advise customers to change products and they usually do. It would be in AVG's interest to make support more accessible.

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Did you read my original post where I described the circumstances under which I've had problems with the license? Are you saying you've uninstalled and reinstalled the product and re-entered the license without problems?

5. progress

progress Guest

Yes, I reinstalled AVG IS without any problems :)

6. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I totally agree with you. I was unaware that there was no phone number to contact.

I have a strong belief that if IT professionals (Like you) begin to contact them via e-mail asking them to have phone support, things may change. They don't want to lose clients nor IT professionals selling and recommending their products.
    But, until you guys do it... I don't think things will change.

7. m00nbl00d

Kees1958, I also believed there was no rootkit protection in AVG AV Free, but after seeing a link to AVG german site, AVG AV Free offers basic rootkit protection.

There's being a debate why would/should people pay for AVG IS if AVG IDP gets available for the AVG AV Free users.

It wasn't on their plans or it won't be to add sandboxing technology into AVG IS.
    It was mentioned there and an AVG person came talking about the sandbox that virtualizes malware while their AVG checks for infections safely. Out of any clues of what people were asking for, though specifically specified (sorry for this redundancy!)
    Then talking about Virtual Machines and all that crap.

We let them know about Sandboxie or even Kaspersky's sandbox, for example.

Let's see...

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I doubt AVG would have a "real" sandbox for this particular version of AVG (IMO this should be more of an "incremental" upgrade to AVG like the X.5 versions).

Yep, several times. I have had no problems whatsoever with the license......

9. m00nbl00d

By the way, how many monitored behaviors can you guys and girls see in AVG IDP?

10. progress

progress Guest

Here you are!

Attached Files:

• avg.jpg
      avg.jpg
      File size:
      57 KB
      Views:
  11. CiX

CiX Registered Member

Free Beta version or Paid beta version?

12. progress

progress Guest

Ooops - I've installed the paid non-beta version 2010 again :doubt: I don't know if AVG IDP has been modified in the beta version 2011? :doubt:

Because of Game Mode :D

13. Habakuck

Habakuck Registered Member

What beta version does exist at the moment? (free, AV, IS)

Is there a x64 version available at the moment? If yes, is it a native x64 application or not?

14. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

There is a beta version available at the moment: IS 2011 and a Linux version. Also on the AVG beta forum there is a trick to run the free one.

There is a 64-bit version available for the beta, it ain't native, but it is just working like almost all others (Norton, Kaspersky, Panda etc.). Only MSE and PrevX and Immunet are native I think.

BTW: Languy did a YouTube for AVG IS2011. It did great: blocked everything. Almost everything was handled by the IDP module, which really seems to be great. If that really is included in the free version, that is going to be a great product.

15. Habakuck

Habakuck Registered Member

Indeed!

Let's hope for the best...

16. PnP

PnP Registered Member

In test... very good new interface.. :) x64 windows 7

17. gery

gery Registered Member

yep:thumb: :thumb:

18. m00nbl00d

Then, I'm truly beginning to believe that not every AVG IDP user is getting their component properly updated.

In one of relative's system, it is monitoring 323 behaviors. In mine also 318, like you.
    I've seen others mentioning 417.

That's quite odd. It should be the same to everyone.
    I've e-mailed AVG about it and I'm waiting for a response.

19. progress

progress Guest

Why should it be the same? I guess it depends on the software you have installed :doubt:

20. m00nbl00d

I'm not sure of that. So far I couldn't find any information that would either mention or not mention that.

But, why would the same application (AVG IDP) monitor the same 318 behaviors in a clean Windows 7 Ultimate x86 virtual machine?
    This makes me believe that what you suggest makes no sense. Otherwise, shouldn't it be monitoring fewer behaviors in the virtual machines, considering it has a lot less processes when compared to the real system?

And, this is not from now. I do remember that when I had Windows Vista (last year) it was monitoring the same amount of behaviors. I've never seen the monitored behaviors increase.

As mentioned, in my relative's system it is monitoring 323 behaviors. This system also has fewer processes. Following your ratiocination it should be monitoring less.

:doubt:

21. clocks

clocks Registered Member

For those that are interested, Beta 2 is now available.

22. CiX

CiX Registered Member

What's new in this version?

23. PnP

PnP Registered Member

there isn't beta 2 avg x64?

24. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Yes there is.Check closely in Business Products Beta downloads.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  25. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Any solid info about Identity Protection part being available in Free edition?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.