AVG Hogging cpu

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ellison64, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

After using AVG ISS on my w98se system for a good few months now ,with no problems whatsoever,i decided to "upgrade" my OS to windows 2000 pro.I formated and did a clean install.Everything was going well ,and i performed all windows updates etc ,and installed y fav applications.Then finally i thought id install my antivirus...AVG ISS.After installing it i found that my computer would come to a standill after bootup for a few minutes.On opening the taskmanager i see that the avg process avgrssvc.exe is listed 3 times and consuming at times up to 99% cpu .From performing flawlessly on 98se ,im afaid i cant put up with it ,on w2000.Anyone use this OS and has noticed similar with AVG ISS?.
    ellison

Attached Files:

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I have seen it on Windows XP but a program update had fixed it for me. Is the "on-close scanning" checkbox enabled in the Resident Shield settings of AVG?

3. ellison64

Thanks for reply.No "on close scanning " is not ticked.Theres nothing in sheduler(something working in background) to account for the cpu usage either,and its resident shield is set to only scan extensions too.Ive noticed just clicking any of its gui starts a process called avdiag.exe to go into overdrive too.It really struggles to open any of its gui windows.Guess i ll be looking for a another av,which is a shame because it was brilliant on 98se.
    ellison

4. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

Did you email AVG's tech support about this?

If you really liked AVG, it would be worth a try.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello ellison64,
    my test pc runs windows 2000 and i had no problems with avg hogging cpu.
    and my test pc has a pentium 3 processer with only 256mb of ram.
    have you gone to the grisoft website and downloaded the lastest version?
    then uninstalled the current version rebooted and installed the lastest version and updated it?
    if not you should try that first before looking for alternitives.
    lodore

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Could it be that AVG is just doing some startup scanning like some of the AVs do right after a reboot? See if it settles down if you wait a few minutes.. Also, sometimes weird things happen and an app just won't run on some OS version on your machine, yet works fine on another. I had no troubles with AVG on 2k, but it was just the regular free AVG, nothing fancy.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

just wondering what service pack have you got installed?
    did the upgrade cd come with service pack4?
    or is it service packless?
    lodore

8. ellison64

Thanks to everyone for replying.
    @lodore..... i downloaded and installed service pack 4 for w2000.I had downloaded the latest build,however i contacted AVG support and they recommend i download and try the new build which is actually released today,so im,going to try that this evening.

@thug21....yep i did email avg support and they suggested to try the new build out today.

@kerodo....no theres no scans ,schedulers,or updates going on in the background.The cpu is hogged for around 2 mins on initial startup,then settles down.However if i click any part of the AVG gui ,for test centre for example ,it goes haywire again.Im hoping this latest build may work though.

ellison

9. ellison64

Just tried new build and thats the same :(
    When i click "test centre " from the control centre gui ,avgwb.dat hogs cpu and goes to 90% upward s and stays like that for about 30 secs before the test centre gui opens.Its definitly not right.Ive sent the logs etc grisoft.

ellison

Attached Files:

10. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

There may be a underlying conflict with some other apps. If possible,try to see what happens when you uninstall your apps or atleast disable them.

11. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Hi ellison64

As an alternative, I'd suggest to run a registry cleaner app like regsupreme (restart then) before reinstalling avg, just in case (uninst. avg first).

Btw, it's the first time I hear about a process with .dat extension o_O now i see it's related to avg basic interface.

12. ellison64

Ive run the reg cleaners,though it still behaves the same....Grisoft have now sent a debugger so ill reinstall avg tomorrow and run it.Touch wood ,it is the only problem program that ive encountered so far with W2000.If it continues to play up ill keep nod and get a licencse i think.Thats working like a charm at present
    ellison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.