AVG Free - Version 8.5 Is Official Now!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JRViejo, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

raven 211, none taken. IMO, the entire software industry suffers from, what I call everything but the kitchen sink syndrome. It's not enough just to offer a competent AV engine and perfect that, no, they have to add antispyware, link scanners, id protection, washer, dryer, microwave, etc., making a product's coding more complex and prone to mistakes in the process.

Yes, malware gets smarter everyday and most computer users are not anywhere near the level of many Wilders members, and perhaps they do need one size fits all software, but if a company does one thing very well, they should stick with that and tout the hell out of it. The downside to that way of thinking is lost revenue because the inverse is true: the more they tack on, the more they can charge.

AVG 7.5 was too good to be true, yet facing the pressure to increase revenue, since everyone else is putting in everything but the kitchen sink, AVG has to play the same game, pestering a user with pop-ups to buy their product. C'est La Vie!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  2. progress

progress Guest

... yes, here are some impressions ... :(

Attached Files:

3. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Notice how the checkmarks of the paid software are bigger. :D I noticed this the first time I saw that "comparison"-page. :cool:

4. progress

progress Guest

Yes, it's a great gimmick :cautious:

5. Toe

Toe Registered Member

Ugh. Just had my third popup from this crap. Guess it might be time for another look at the other freebies...

6. progress

progress Guest

Don't be a poor sport! :D

7. raven211

LOL! I would too considering everything that's seen on those screenshots together with what functionality and effectivity the free version features! :blink: :D

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. The Installation Files page today shows new version 8.5.406 (dated July 24, 2009), while the Updates page still shows version 8.5.375 (dated June 18, 2009).

Re: Program update AVG Free 8.5.406 Release Notes:
    I have not received this new version, via Normal Update yet.

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Today, the Documentation page shows an User Manual version 8.5.6, dated July 24, 2009.

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Today, the Installation Files page is showing new version 8.5.409, dated August 9, 2009. The Updates page is still showing version 8.5.375, dated June 18, 2009.

Re: AVG 8.5.409 Free - Release Notes:
    Never received version 8.5.406, via Normal Update channels, and waiting for this new one to arrive.

11. dell boy

dell boy Registered Member

so this post has confused me, i read the review and saw that he says it removed his rootkits and it will remove "signature based" detections, that has confused me.
    can someone knowledgable tell me whether avg will or will not remove rootkit threats, i know companies often say they dont do things in the free versions for marketing reasons and if avg are, they arent the only ones doing it.
    thanks

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

dell boy, according to this Rootkit scanner post, plus this Rootkit detection & removal in free? post, in the AVG Free Forum and AVG's Comparison Chart, AVG Free does not have a built-in Rootkit scanner. Whether the Resident Shield can remove a known rootkit, using standard signature-based scanning, as the article implies, remains to be seen. The consensus seems to be that AVG Free does not protect one from and can not remove rootkits. If someone can post proof to the contrary, please do so.

13. dell boy

dell boy Registered Member

yeh sounds like it, matt from removedashmalwaredotcom tested and when it came across one it said something like cannot remove. so maybe this pc mag reviewer got it slightly wrong or something...

14. Morro

Morro Registered Member

Incase some one wants to see the YouTube movie about AVG 8.5 from Matt;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KUQ3usc090

As far as i remember only one of his links was for a rootkit, but still. Otherwise AVG 8.5 seemed to be doing its job.

15. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

very well put, it is the way vendors are going these days , KISS method does work...

16. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Morro, thanks for adding that link to this thread. Matt does a very good job of explaining programs in a simple manner that all can understand. Take care.

17. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

larryb52, thanks. Unfortunately, the KISS method is getting harder to find these days. Take care.

18. raven211

Please see this link from Matt as well, which is mentioning AVG 8.5 on a clients PC. Definition-based software simply can't keep up - thus I'm desperately looking for alternatives to my planned setup by now. :D

EDIT: Link: http://remove-malware.com/antimalwa...my-downloading-from-p2p-and-torrent-networks/

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  19. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

No AVG without rootkit is not a viable freeware, better to go with Avast/Avira (x32), MSE (x64)

What is your planned OS?

20. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

And what if you'd just stick with AVG and throw Panda Anti-Rootkit in the mix instead? Do you think that's a good idea, Kees?

http://research.pandasoftware.com/blogs/images/AntiRootkit.zip

21. Morro

Morro Registered Member

Thanks JRViejo. :)

This may sound dumb, but which link do you mean? You mean the link i place above?

22. raven211

Oh snap - I was short on time when writing the message, I'll edit the message now. :D

23. raven211

Nono, I've no plans of using AVG at all - I was talking about my TF, WD and Rising PC Doctor setup, my policy-based setup. :D

24. Morro

Morro Registered Member

Ah i see. :D

25. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Once again, may I remind everyone of Wilders' General Policy Statement - Antivirus Section. This thread's intention is to point out details of and discuss AVG's newest Free version only, not a comparison between other AV products.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.