AVG Free Upgraded to 8.5.278

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JRViejo, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Version 8.5.329 came through the normal update today:

2009-05-13_155852.gif

Updates page continues to show 8.0.237 (February 11, 2009).

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. AVG 8.5 FREE EDITION (8.5.336) (2nd Post)
    Installation Files page shows version 8.5.336 (dated May 11, 2009) but has not come through Normal Update yet. Updates page still shows version 8.0.237.

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Today, the Installation Files page is showing version 8.5.339 (dated May 15, 2009). No info on this new version yet.

4. progress

progress Guest

My machines updated from 8.0.237 to 8.5.329 a few days ago :thumb:

5. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Wow - they're fast with the updates now, aren't they? :D

If the darned unattended mode wouldn't fail to take care of the threat in question from time to time (okay, I'll be fair - "semi-fail" :p), I would probably easily use it, being a user of LinkScanner which works just great. Can someone confirm if this still stands true? :) The only thing that would stand in the way anyway is that avast! so far works fantastic. :D

6. gery

gery Registered Member

For the sake of truth AVG has improved a lot since 227 or something.I am using paid version and i find it lighter and faster . Even browsing is better, though i have to admit i use it mainly because of LINK SCANNER which ireally like a lot

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

ance, yes, AVG is slowly rolling out version 8.5, but not fully yet. Once I see that the Updates page officially shows version 8.5, we can move on to a new discussion thread and close this one. Thanks for letting us know! :)

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

raven211, yes, lately, updates are coming fast and furious. When you say "unattended mode" what do you mean? Can you give an example?

You know, avast! is a great program as well and for as long as LS works with it, IMO I would not switch to AVG.

9. raven211

If you go to the Resident Shield, you can tell it to automatically remove threats that are found by it - that's what I mean. :) I'm also not sure if it removes tracking cookies in real-time too by now, but I vaugly recall it does in the later builds... :doubt:

EDIT: BTW... are the settings more optimal now from out-of-box, e.g. incl. checked rootkit scan and removable media scan?

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

gery, I agree with you. Even the Free version gets better and better with each update! :thumb:

11. progress

progress Guest

Rootkit scan (for hidden drivers) isn't available in the free version but it detects known rootkits. Removable media scan is disabled I think, that setting is ok. I don't like it when AVG scans my single usb stick 10 times a day :ouch:

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

raven211, I see what you mean. I have mine set to Ask me before removing threats so I know what's being removed and I don't have Scan for Tracking Cookies enabled since I allow CCleaner to clean them out.

There is no Rootkit scan in the Free version (I wish they did!) and although I have set mine to scan removable devices, I can't recall if it came enabled by default. I have tweaked AVG so much that's it's hard to remember but for most people, the default settings do seem to work.

Let me see if I can dig up some info on cookies & removable devices and report back later.

13. progress

progress Guest

I agree, but there are some free antirootkit tools, so it's no problem really :)

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

ance, yes, its' not a big issue. BTW, you know that you can disable the USB scan via the icon that pops up in the tray notification area?

I need to enable this feature since my family is always plugging in their sticks and I rather be safe than sorry! ;)

15. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

raven211, this is what the User Manual says about Tracking Cookies and Removable Devices:

16. raven211

I think I'll keep avast! for now as it works great from what it seems. ;) If unattended operation probs. does get fixed, I might change my mind. :)

17. robinb

robinb Registered Member

Superantispyware free or pro removes rootkits, so whynot download and install it and run it every few days for the free version. For the pro you can set it up when to do the running

robin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.