AVG Free Upgraded to 8.5.278

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JRViejo, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robinb

robinb Registered Member

be very careful when you see a huge popup in front of you to upgrade AVG 8.0 free. If you click on it to upgrade- it tries to install the Pro version and looks for a license number, (which of course you do not have because it is free). If you cancel it in the middle of trying to install it crashes and you cannot do a thing but go back to this same loop.
    WAY WAY down at the bottom it shows the free version- that is what you pick. If you do not see it- cancel the popup immediately. This is an advertising ploy by AVG and you might accidentally not even realize it.

If you want to get rid of this go to their website and download the avg free software and click the "repair component" . Don't be afraid, it is not as hard as it looks. Just make sure you uncheck the toolbar if you do not want it.

It will uninstall AVG 8.0 put on what it needs for 8.5. A reboot will be required after this. Once you reboot the computer, you will need to go to "update now" and get the definition updates. (it actually tells you this after it installs).

Thats about it- no big nightmare.

or you can just keep shutting this popup off till it updates itself or not.
    This might actually be the way it is telling you to upgrade.
    robin

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

robinb, how did this popup appeared? While updating AVG 8.0 or via a browser (LinkScanner)? Just curious.

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Avast is ok i guess, just tried it again last night but i'm sick of the same old Avast routines and crappy GUI. Right now AVIRA 9 is my best choice and i do favor it in a big way.

However on another partition i would like to try again AVG (free) to see if it's improved but this thread is left me in a quagmire, do you guys suggest keeping with version 8.0 or going forward with the new release?

Just looking for some concrete answers and not ping pong about what is better or worse then version 8 or issues in the latest AVG that might be cause for some concern.

I just spent a solid hour pulling out AVAST from my machine and i hate it with a passion that these AV vendors still haven't learned how to completely uninstall their own products, leaving users & customers with a registry full of absolute crap that consumes nothing but wasted time cleaning up after them

A very poor effort on their part. I can't speak for other AV's at this time except the terrible time i had removing Avast's componants, even after using their uninstall tool in safe mode.

I doubt i will ever take a chance on them again in spite of their progress in a favorable position against virus protections.

4. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Try turning off self-protection before you uninstall, Mister High Alert Security Measures.

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I did. As well as closed out and wiped the process files with an Anti-Rootkit App which by the way found several entries in the SDDT Table i had to unhook. Lousy, just plain lousy.

Nothing worked, so had to do it the hard way. Lesson learned

By the way, wheres your opinion (if any) on the initial concern regarding AVG? Or do you Mr Eice even have one?

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

EASTER, with your knowledge, the new version 8.5 should pose no challenge to you. If you want to try it with its plethora of features, I'm sure you will know right away whether AVG conforms to your wishes or not.

The problem with AVG is that people got used to the simplicity of version 7.5 and version 8.0 introduced, IMO, more junk into the fray, running into compatibility problems with other installed software. Those of us who can tweak to our heart's content, can produce a final product that fits our needs, but newbies, who hardly have a grasp on computers, were overwhelmed by AVG's new version problems, thus jumping ship to Avira and Avast free versions.

My post #34 will give you a pretty good idea on how lean I'm running AVG 8.5.278 at the moment (waiting for 8.5.283 to come via normal update channels). Post #38 confirms the memory usage of post #34. Post #7 displays how long it takes to run a scan.

I use AVG mainly to scan incoming business email directly from a server (no Web based Email Client) and in the past couple of days, it has captured several emails where the Trojan horse Injector.CZ was attached, in a .zip format, and moved them efficiently into its Virus Vault. Killing them was a pleasure. So as far as I'm concerned, AVG is doing the job I want it to do.

So, in conclusion, I would encourage you to try it and report back all good and/or bad experiences with this new 8.5 version. I look forward to your dissertation.

7. progress

progress Guest

What's new? :)

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

9. robinb

robinb Registered Member

when it does its automatic updates is when you will see this. Believe me you cannot miss it.

robin

10. robinb

robinb Registered Member

I use AVG mainly to scan incoming business email directly from a server (no Web based Email Client) and in the past couple of days, it has captured several emails where the Trojan horse Injector.CZ was attached, in a .zip format, and moved them efficiently into its Virus Vault. Killing them was a pleasure. So as far as I'm concerned, AVG is doing the job I want it to do.

So, in conclusion, I would encourage you to try it and report back all good and/or bad experiences with this new 8.5 version. I look forward to your dissertation.[/QUOTE]

I agree :)

It is still my first choice over Avira free version- it scans emails- avira doesn't,
    it doesn't popup with an annoying popup that takes over your whole screen when it does an update- to purchase it.

I found Avira finds more false positives than avg does.

Yes I had to put Avira on some of my clients computers only because AVG just would not load but 90% of my clients have no problems with AVG.

I do not like AVast because it doesn't do scheduled scans. Most of my clients will not remember to do a weekly scan, they are way too busy in their lives to remember to do anything to protect their computers manually.

robin

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

robinb, thanks for the heads-up! I'll post when I see it. Take care.

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

JRViejo, thanks for your encouragement and offering where the differences stand between them. I appreciate that. I really dumped all AV's when HIPS entered the scene but times change and code geniouses are hard at it dismembering objects that stand in their way and becoming creative again.

I will definitely give it run and post a review of my results. My last AVG 6 then 7 was long ago and it done ok as per AV's can do given all these floating threats and variants.

EASTER

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

EASTER, you are welcome! Looking forward to your findings.

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

If you keep up with the Wilders' Update Alerts sub-forum, you know that AVG had a Virus DB update today:
    AVG - AVI: 270.11.29/2024 - March 26, 2009. In that update, you might see a Program Update, like mine:

2009-03-26_101643.gif

If you were trying to update ealier and getting a .bin file missing error, that's because AVG's servers were missing that file, however, I just updated my AVG Free to version 8.5.285 without a missing .bin file issue.

I see that AVG changed the Main Program UI giving us new Component Icons. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You'll be the judge.

Also, many of you know that I disabled the Update Manager component so I can manually check for updates, instead of auto, and previous AVG versions stated that this component was at fault, forcing me to place a check mark for the Update Manager via Tools > Advanced settings > Ignore faulty conditions so I would not see the ! in the tray notification area AVG icon.

As soon as I updated, I saw that AVG restored the main program UI to show that the Update Manager was active, even though I still have the program update schedule disabled, and thought: way to go AVG. However, as soon as I ran another update, to make sure that my ZA firewall would allow this new version, the main program UI went back to its old self, informing me that the Database update is disabled. Just FYI.

Installation File page now shows avg_free_stf_en_85_285a1462.exe. Updates page still shows 8.0.237 version.

Task Manager reports 0% CPU Usage on all processes and slightly lower Mem Usage (old readings in bold red) in the Scanning Core Module:

10,088K - avgcsrvx.exe (AVG Scanning Core Module - Server Part) 13,828K
    1,868K - avgwdsvc.exe (AVG Watchdog Service) 1,844K
    3,292K - avgtray.exe (AVG Tray Monitor) 3,872K
    516K - avgemc.exe (AVG Email Scanner) 500K
    172K - avgrsx.exe (AVG Resident Shield) 184K

15. progress

progress Guest

I got AVG Free 8.5.285 but I can't see any differences, am I blind? o_O

16. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

ance, maybe it's me who is blind because I just checked the User Manual (02/16/09) for the previous version and the icons look the same, yet, this was the first time I noticed them. Call me crazy. Maybe they are sharper or maybe I need glasses? ;)

17. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Program update today.

2009-04-09_211142.gif

Installation File page now shows avg_free_stf_en_85_287a1483.exe. Updates page still shows 8.0.237 version.

No other info on what Fixes & Improvements this new 8.5.287 version entails yet the Paid Version states:

Core: New version of polymorphic virus Win32/Virut is now detected.

Perhaps it is the same with the Free version.

18. Rain_Train

Rain_Train Registered Member

A quick question: does AVG 8.0 Free have self-defense (protection against process termination or manipulation)? (I'm asking about the free version because if that has it, then I assume the paid version as well as Internet Security will have it, too.)

19. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Rain_Train, it's a little tough to answer your question because there is no direct quote that I can find on AVG's site, stating what you are asking. However, by deductive reasoning, I believe it does include self protection. Allow me to explain.

AVG used to have an Anti-Spyware program and in FileHippo's description, it stated "Self-protection at kernel layer guarantees gapless monitoring."

On April 24th, 2008, AVG Free 8.0 was launched, while the Anti-Spyware program was being phased out, incorporating "protection against spyware through a new combined antivirus and antispyware engine" and that combination is spread among all products, Free and Paid.

As I understand it, the antispyware component on AVG Free is the old AVG Anti-Spyware Plus version program. If so, then the protection from termination has been built into the new AVG. Should someone have concrete proof that my assumption is incorrect, please post those facts.

20. Rain_Train

Thank you very much for your response. Yes, that does make sense. However, I was thinking more along the lines that if you have AVG installed, try terminating one of its processes through Task Manager.

21. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

OK, I see what you mean. I just tried killing avgcsrvx.exe (AVG Scanning Core Module - Server Part), avgwdsvc.exe (AVG Watchdog Service) and avgrsx.exe (AVG Resident Shield) via the Task Manager. In each instance, the terminated process was instantly added back to the Task Manager, together with a new avgrsx.exe, so I ended up with 4 Resident Shields running. Talk about not wanting to die. I rebooted and everything was back to normal.

22. Rain_Train

I see. Thanks for your testing :) :thumb: !

23. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Rain_Train, you are welcome! Take care.

24. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Program Update today.

2009-04-15_164951.gif

While it states New component (version: 5), I can't find anywhere what this program update entails.
    My version remains as 8.5.287 and no visible changes are noticed.
    Updates page still shows 8.0.237 version.

25. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.