AVG Free Upgraded to 8.0.233

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JRViejo, Jan 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gery

gery Registered Member

I am using PRO but if this is true i will ditch it because this is not a small thing is it?

2. progress

progress Guest

Known rootkits should be detected and blocked. The manual scan can find hidden drivers of unknown rootkits. I think there is no AV which can block all unknown rootkits, you should prevent the installation of a rootkit :blink:

3. gery

gery Registered Member

I mean does it stop in real time or you should do a manual scan to find whether you are infected .

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Well, page 101 of the User Manual shows the Anti-Rootkit interface and there it states "The standard scanning process does not detect or remove rootkits, therefore you should run a manual check with this component to ensure no existing rootkits are installed on your system."

If that's what it says in your Pro (both gery's and ance's), then an on demand scan is the only way to go and it does not work in real time. gery, I would not dump AVG because it still gives you the ability to check for rootkits within its program.

5. gery

gery Registered Member

Well i let you know that i already have a rootkit in my w32 files and this means something doesn't it so reall time protection is important isn't it

6. gery

gery Registered Member

meanwhile i had AVG pro in my laptop updated and fully functional etc.

7. progress

progress Guest

-> Known rootkits ;)

-> Unknown rootkits ;)

8. gery

gery Registered Member

excuse me if i sound stupid but i am missing something here.
    the rootkit detector in avg interface says that i should do a manual scan to find rootkits because it won't detect them with the standard scanner and it says nothing about known or unknown. So it will not protect me from rootkits . that is the point isn't it

9. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

For what I know, AVG 8 Pro, does not check for rootkits real-time.

That's one of the reasons why they no longer support the free version of their anti-rootkit. Their users could, otherwise, just use the free AVG 8 version + their stand alone anti-rootkit.

Regards

10. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Standard scanner = normal on-demand scans. Unless configured, the full system scan does not usually check for rootkits - this is a separate scan.

I think AVG does have some limited real-time protection against known rootkits but I am not fully sure about this yet.

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

gery, if you read the Detection of known rootkits FAQ link I provided, its states "In case the AVG program finds some rootkits it does not necessarily mean, that the rootkit is infected. Sometimes, rootkits are used as drivers or they are a part of correct applications." so be careful with removing the one you found.

IMO, real time protection depends on your Internet habits, as to whether it is important or not. If you frequently go to the dark side of the force, then you need it for sure. Maybe it's luck, but I have never seen and/or detected a rootkit in any of the systems that I have owned, especially in the past 10 years. Only you can determine if real time detection is important to you.

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Firecat, I have reviewed most of their documentation and I can't find it either. If you do, please post back.

13. gery

gery Registered Member

personally i don't visit the dark side of internet and i use internet only for work issues such as email etc and visiting wilders and some other forums such as avast forum and comodo forum.
    the other thing is that when you pay about a security and protection software you want it to be fully able to satisfy your needs and excuse your payment

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

You do have a point there and being a Pro user, you have access to Free Technical Support from AVG's staff. You should ask AVG that question and if you do, let us know their response for those who are following this thread!

15. gery

gery Registered Member

ok give me some time please

16. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

17. gery

gery Registered Member

i did ask and they send me a link of the FAQ and a support link where there were similar things to what we have been saying here.
    At the end of this discussion i have learned that AVG pro does have realtime antirootkit abilities and what remains to be discussed is the real ability of AVG to do this job even compared to other AV s.
    Thanks to everyone who tried to help in here. You guys really quick to help here. appreciate that very much. I will keep AVG pro then lol

18. progress

progress Guest

Program update AVG Free 8.0.237

Improvements

* Core: New version of polymorphic virus Win32/Virut is now detected :shifty:

19. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

New AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.0 User Manual uploaded today!

20. progress

progress Guest

"Enable AVG Active Surf-Shield - (on by default; and this option cannot be switched off!)."

:thumb:

21. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

ance, you're correct, however, be aware that Surf-Shield is active only if the LinkScanner component has been installed.

22. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Thanks very much JRV. - I am downloading it to see if any proper
    light is shone on this thing - Am not holding my breath when I see the size,
    2.64 MB's - Gawd, one could write the total thesis of computer history from day one,
    including a research breakdown of every part and all progress in less than 2.64 MB's - So AVG is becoming as bloated as that other charmer Adobe PDF reader which had to go long ago in favour of the Fox, maybe not Brown, but quick.

23. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Wow, let's compare document file sizes to binary data. Nice attempt at FUD, but I suggest you try this at other places where people are more likely to fall for this crap. :thumbd:

24. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Yes,Yes, alright Eice - Do me a favour would you - Having downloaded this
    AVG volume and read pages 42 and 50, both of which SHOW the 'Surf-Shield'
    Greyed out as 'dead' but then tell that it's 'enabled by default' - Can I take it
    that even though Greyed out it is actually working, but Greyed out dead simply because it CAN'T be Enabled/Disabled once one has decided to use Linkscanner ?

25. Eice

Eice Registered Member

That is correct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.