AVG Free is the best free utilities (antivirus) at CNET- download.com

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by gusers, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

Worst than AVG only UNA I believe...

2. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

Yawn, no offense but I have heard this all before. We had a guy at DSLReports few years ago who claimed Norton was crap and that AVG caught everything but the Kitchen Sink, yada yada yada. Turned out he was an AVG ReSeller, frankly I didn't believe a word he said. Now, I have no doubt you MAY have experienced some anomalies -- for example, NIS 2003 is OLD {3 years old} and wasn't designed to protect against spyware -- detection of expanded threats and spyware was not introduced until the 2004 and later versions of Norton products. Honestly I am *not* doubting your individual experience or word, but I am contesting your *interpretation* of your experience. Just because you found some spyware that was undetected by an OLD version of NIS, doesn't mean Norton is crap or that AVG is superior .. IMHO. And yes the AV-Comparatives are a respected study and although studies are just one data point to consider, the study is objective and just as good or better than your subjective experience which is most likely based on a very much smaller population of malware samples .. IMHO. ;) Take Care, No Offense Intended, Warmly, Ran

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I have been an active member at SWI for a year and AVG was often recommended by qualified helpers at SWI, although some of them used another AV like NOD32 :D .

I use AVG Free myself, combined with discipline on the net and KAV/NOD32 didn't find anything either.
    So if you have discipline on the net, you can use any popular AV freeware IMHO.

I don't even remember my last virus infection.
    Tracking cookies, low risk adwares/spywares and that's it.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    Randy:

I'm not a reseller.

I fixed that infection (not spyware - VIRUS / TROJAN) in 2003.
    Interpretation would be wrong if you say I did that 2 weeks ago. I did that 2+ years ago. If I remember correctly AVG 6.

I go with experience. At my workplace, my friends admin use anti-virii like avg, avast and bitdefender to clean what Norton cannot even detect.
    Plus AVG is light and free - Norton is heavy and expensive.
    For 0 money, you won't find anything better than AVG.

AV comparatives are respected studies - but that's all, studies. The same way a soldier learns how to shoot and when he gets to battlefield, he whimpers in a corner and screams 'mommy mommy'.

And about malware samples - I don't care about 100,000 samples that you find, I care about 1 you don't.

Studies and fame - it's all about money. If you got a freebie high up, it means it really is up to something.

Take AskJeeves toolbar - check out which ones detect it and which ones don't. You'll get the idea alone. The same goes for Claria.

Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.