AVG Free false positive : Earthlink toolbar

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by notsupplied_31, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notsupplied_31

notsupplied_31 Registered Member

I just updated my AVG Free 7.5.0.503 with the latest definitions avi 1180/1101 . I immediately started getting infection notifications regarding the Earthlink toolbar pop-up blocker. I consider this a false positive and have been responding "ignore" to all the notifications.:(
    I have attached a screenshot of the AVG notification message.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2007
  2. jlo

jlo Registered Member

I would zip ip the suspect file, password protect the file 'infected' and email file to virus@grisoft.cz with false positive? as the subject. I am sure the AVG guys will remove the false positive quickly.

Also worth uploading the file at http://www.virustotal.com/ to see if any other AV's detect this file.

Good luck

Jlo

3. notsupplied_31

notsupplied_31 Registered Member

I had also contacted Earthlink to report this problem and they apparently "nudged" AVG to fix this issue. At any rate, I updated with new definitions avi1181/1103 late Thursday and the problem seems to have been fixed already. I tried to uninstall Earthlink Accelerator using Add/Remove Programs but it did not uninstall. I could have uninstalled all their TotalAccess 2005 software but then I would have lost my email client "Mailbox" which I use for Earthlink email.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.