AVG AV Free Edition 9.0 Review

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JRViejo, Oct 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vojta

vojta Registered Member

As far as I know, AVG 9's real time protection never goes totally off, even if you uncheck this from the menu. Am I wrong?.

2. progress

progress Guest

No, you are right :)

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Ibrad, with Win 7 64-bit, I would recommend sticking with MSE real time and maybe add MBAM and/or SAS for on demand scanning. Disable Tea Timer as well.

In all honesty, I can't recommend AVG 9.0.791 in its present, connection issues status.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

vojta, ance is correct. Watch your Task Manager as the Resident Shield is disabled, via the GUI, and you'll see both AVG Resident Shield Service (avgrsx.exe) and AVG Scanning Core Module (avgcsrvx.exe) still engaged.

5. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Yeah, did AVG ever issue a way to fix the buggy update which caused PC's to freeze while they try to load? I saw on the AVG forums that issue which is the same one my friend is having but I could not find a fix.

6. progress

progress Guest

For sure, because AVG 9.0.791 is the latest building :D

7. gery

gery Registered Member

do these issues affect the paid product also?

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Thanks ance! :thumb: Need to have my eyes checked. ;) :D

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Ibrad, if this AVG Free Forum thread: AVG 9 March Update Causes Windows 7 To Stop Booting is the one you are talking about, it does not look like AVG has received all the info for a cure yet.

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

gery, that's an excellent question, because I have not seen any Wilders AVG Paid 9.0.791 users post their problems, if any. I wish they did!

11. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Thanks for all the info everyone, my friend decided it much simpler to just reinstall Windows. Only one AV will be going on the machine this time :thumb:

12. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

I have got an Email from AVG Beta, they are now Offering their first Mac Product.

13. gery

gery Registered Member

Avg paid doesn't go well with ZA Firewall and i had to give up of ZA firewall sometimes ago. Now i do not know what the real problem is but the computer freezes time after time especially when AVG updates. Another problem remains cpu and ram hit which is not yet fixed. Avg AV still is a little too much i guess. I am waiting for my license to expire in a few weeks and will probably not renew. AVG time for me is over. :thumbd: :thumbd:

14. robinb

robinb Registered Member

they do not on the computers i have them installed
    It looks like the problem is primarily with the free version.

Also I have the free on 35 client computers and none of them run ZA and none of them are seeing all the problems you guys are seeing.

I would think if everyone was seeing the problem- AVG would have found a fix faster.

robin

15. robinb

robinb Registered Member

i believe i spoke to soon, i am running AVG Pro antivirus and during a full scan 2 hours ago everything locked up on my computer. This is xp pro service pack 3
    This happened once before when i had 9.0.70 and once i did the upgrade i am again seeing it. I have 2 licenses with it and i have it on another one of my computers- that one i am not seeing this problem, so i just uninstalled it- made sure it is out of registry files, etc and installed AVAST Free.

Geeze- what a difference, It is running a scan now and nothing is slow.
    Also it uses a heck of a lot less cpu usage when it is scanning.

So i am out the balance of my registration- it doesn't renew until Oct 2011 but at least my computer is running better. If i hear from here and other forums AVG fixes all the problems I might re install it back- that is a very big might!

And I am watching all my clients computers to see if they have any problems and i will uninstall AVG from there and either put on MSE or Avast free

robin

robin

16. bloomcounty

bloomcounty Registered Member

Did the program update along with the virus defs -- no issues. Thanks! :thumb:

Well, this is good proof that it's not a ZA any-version thing but an AVG thing, right? Hopefully Grisoft will realize this. o_O

17. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Received AVG Free 9.0.800, via Manual Update, today:

avg90800.gif

Red Highlights are the difference between version 7.9.791 and this new version. No Release Notes yet.

Decided to install it (leaving Windows Defender and Zone Alarm enabled) to see if the Internet connectivity issue had been fixed. Unfortunately, this new AVG version still will not allow connections via browsers and/or Email client.

Items that I saw and tried

Here was the Task Manager after installation and reboot:

avg90800TMafterinst.gif

This time, the Cache Server component was disabled by default, although it still shows in the Task Manager screen capture above:

avg90800cacheserver.gif

Because the AVG Free Forums continue to have postings about this connectivity issue, even with non ZA users, I tried this FAQ: What AVG processes and URLs need to be allowed in 3rd party firewalls/programs making sure that any new processes I found were allowed in Zone Alarm:

avgcmgr.exe - (not found in Program Files\AVG\AVG9)
    avgemc.exe - (AVG Email Scanner - previously listed in ZA Program Control)
    avgiproxy.exe - (AVG Update Downloader - found in Program Files\AVG\AVG9 - added to ZA Program Control)
    avgnsx.exe (32bit) - (Not Found in Program Files\AVG\AVG9)
    avgnsa.exe (64bit) - Not Applicable
    avgtray.exe - (AVG Tray Monitor - found in Program Files\AVG\AVG9 - added to ZA Program Control)
    avgui.exe - (AVG User Interface - previously listed in ZA Program Control)
    avgupd.exe - (AVG Update Module - previously listed in ZA Program Control)
    avgwdsvc.exe - (AVG Watchdog Service - found in Program Files\AVG\AVG9 - added to ZA Program Control)

Conclusion: Adding these processes did not make any difference and the lack of connectivity continued. As soon as I reverted back to version 9.0.730, the connection problem disappeared (even with Windows Defender and Zone Alarm enabled). I still can not recommend this new version 9.0.800, especially if ZA is being used, but urge everyone to continue with daily virus definition updates!

18. gery

gery Registered Member

I am running AVG pro and ZA pro both run very well . The ZA Phishing toolbar does not run on Firefox neither the AVG toolbar:thumb:

19. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

gery, consider yourself very lucky! :)

I run just an old, plain ZA 5.5.094.000 firewall version, with none of today's ZA features, and I'm at a loss to explain why the last two AVG versions do not work with my ZA.

20. gery

gery Registered Member

Are you running the pro or the free version. Seriously i was going to ditch forever both AVG and ZA firewall but man i am really happy with it now.

21. progress

progress Guest

I'm running AVG IS without any problems ... :)

22. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

gery, I'm running free versions of both AVG and ZA.

ance is another lucky user! ;) :D

23. CiX

CiX Registered Member

Why dont just upgrade to the latest version?

24. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

CiX, since I use the hardware firewall built into my Belkin router, I only need a simple firewall to show an outbound connection warning. The latest ZA version incorporates an Operating System Firewall, a monitoring feature, that could conflict with both Windows Defender and AVG. Don't want or need the aggravation. ;)

25. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. AVG 9.0.800 Free - Release Notes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.