AVG AV Free Edition 9.0 Review

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JRViejo, Oct 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

please post a screenshot of it. is it a ad? or what

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Brocke, is not an ad. It's listed as an inactive component as you can see below:

2009-12-11_182130.gif

ance, I guess you are lucky! :thumb:

3. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

i hate it when AVG tries to get you to 'activate' somthing just to buy it. Avast free doesnt do that, which is surpising really. almost all free av are doing it now. Antivir is by far the wrost i know of.

thank you for the screenshot :thumb: :)

4. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

how the root kit protection? says basic? is it just telling you that you have one then you have to 'pay' to remove it by buy the pro?

thanks
    Brock

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Brocke, you are welcome!

At the bottom of this Extra Protection page, AVG states "While AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition can detect a few rootkits, most of these threats are so complex and sophisticated that powerful tools are needed to root them out from deep inside your PC." And of course, you'll find links to 2 Paid versions that have this feature.

Brocke, to tell you the truth, I use GMER to periodically check for rootkits, so whatever basic rootkit protection AVG has, the lack of a more powerful detector and remover in their Free version, does not impact my PC.

6. clocks

clocks Registered Member

One of the magazines I read PC Mag or PC World did a review and free AVG did infact remove rootkits.

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

clocks, here's that PCMag AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 9.0 full review you probably read and it does state:
    While 80% with basic rootkit detection is not bad at all, that's why I use GMER, to possibly catch the other 20% and remove them. ;)

8. progress

progress Guest

:D

... I second that, other full AVs are not much better as we read in the avast thread ...

But let's get back to AVG Free ... :)

9. bloomcounty

bloomcounty Registered Member

Re: Slightly off-topic, but not really... :)

I'm still holding out until they stop providing virus definition updates to AVG Free 8.5 -- probably any week now (I'm currently at 8.5.426 -- there is an update to .427, but they've yet to post on their forum what it's for, so I'm holding off on that. Now, on to my question! :))

When it comes time that I'm going to uninstall AVG Free 8.5.x and install AVG Free 9.0.x, I know it's been said here to "exit" out of AVG Free (right-click systray icon and choose "exit"), then just use add/remove programs to uninstall (instead of even using the uninstall option that's in Start->All Programs->AVG Free 8.5->Uninstall AVG Free).

But I saw a post the AVG board that said to do it as described at this link, which uses their uninstaller program. However, elsewhere on their message board (I can't find it right now), an older post says to only use the uninstaller as a last resort (well, they misspelled "last", but I'm pretty sure that's what they meant... :)).

I'm sure I'm over-thinking it (big surprise! :)), but I wanted to double-check with you here. Should I just stick with exiting AVG Free then using add/remove programs and restarting to uninstall AVG Free 8.5.x when the time comes to install 9.0.x?

Thanks again (and sorry for the semi-repetition -- I had stumbled upon that post on their form, which prompted me to ask about this here). :thumb:

And I just wanted to say thanks, in general, for the help. It's nice to find a message board where one isn't chastised or ignored for asking what may be perceived as dumb questions or for challenging/questioning/discussing the responses/advice one gets and not being expected to blindly follow it without comment. :thumb: :thumb:

10. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Re: Slightly off-topic, but not really... :)

I've upgraded AVG Free 8.5 to 9.0 on a number of computers just by running the 9.0 installer. It will uninstall version 8.5 automatically and reboot the computer. It has worked flawlessly for me. That said it doesn't hurt to uninstall v8.5 first. I don't believe it matters where you initiate it from, i.e. the link in the AVG folder or Add/Remove Programs.

11. robinb

robinb Registered Member

i still like avg over the other antivirus programs. it is lighter, easier to install and gives you more and is much easier especially for beginners to install and learn.

I only use others when something goes wrong with avg and i have had only 2 or 3 cases where that has happened in the 10years i have been using it and in most cases it is something the user had done to destroy it.

robin

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

bloomcounty, first let me say that Victek123 is correct. I had no issues whatsoever installing 9.0 over 8.5, as explained in this thread, and if you have tweaked AVG 8.5 to fit your particular situation, keep in mind that you'll have to do it all over again, with a new installation. I'll try to answer your questions.
    Prior to removal, (again agree with Victek123 that it does not matter if you use Add/Remove or AVG's Uninstaller), should you Exit out of AVG via the Tray Icon, reboot the PC and run Task Manager to make sure that no AVG processes are running prior to removal. Make sure you have downloaded an AVG 8.5 .exe (from the link you provided) just in case you need to re-install, should something go wrong. Advice: I would disable any running component, via the GUI, before Exiting the Tray Icon.

Download the AVG Remover in case it's needed, but I would go either the Add/Remove or Uninstaller route first. Pay attention to those leftover folders after removal.

The decision is really yours to make. On a personal note, I have been advising family and friends to stick with AVG 8.5, with daily definition updates of course, until the time comes to switch. The Optimization Scan during installation is perhaps the most important step you'll take, to ensure a trouble free 9.0 installation. AVG continues to improve the new version, so when it's time, it'll be more than ready for prime time (IMO it was not ready, when it first came out). Advice: do read the AVG 9.0 User Manual to familiarize yourself with the new version, prior to installation.

bloomcounty, on behalf of those who have contributed to this thread, you're welcome! In my book, there is never a dumb or stupid question and if a person never asks, they'll never learn! So, ask away; there are plenty of AVG users here to answer questions about the product.

JR

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Received new Program AVG Free 9.0.717, via manual update, today.

avg90717.gif

AVG 9.0.717 Free - Release Notes

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Received new Program AVG Free 9.0.722, via manual update, today.

avg90722.gif

AVG 9.0.722 Free - Release Notes

15. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Received new Program AVG Free 9.0.725, via manual update, today.

avg90725.gif

AVG 9.0.725 Free - Release Notes

16. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Received new Program AVG Free 9.0.730, via manual update, today. The Installation Files page shows the same version, dated January 7, 2010.

avg90730.gif

AVG 9.0.730 Free - Release Notes

17. bloomcounty

bloomcounty Registered Member

Re: AVG AV Free Virus Database Update question

Hey again,

I realize this isn't the exact place to post this question, but but I think it effects AVG 9.0 Free as well.

I am still currently running AVG Free 8.5.432 (and still plan to update to 9 when they stop supporting 8.5) and doing virus database updates on a semi-regular basis (whenever I log on to my computer -- every few days).

I noticed this morning there was the following update in "update now" within the program:

Virus Database (Version: 2636)
    Virus Database (Version: 1856)
    6.1MB

6.1MB?! o_O What the heck?! These updates are usually a few hundred K at most. Why is this so huge?

And it's not just for 8.5, because if you go here for 9.0 files:
    http://free.avg.com/ww-en/download?prd=afg#tba4

...you'll see that the AVI: 270.14.151 file is 6.4MB and the IAVI: / 2636 file is 52.2MB. I'm guessing the AVI file is the equivalent of what shows up for me doing a manual update within the program -- not sure what that 52.2MB file is (though that number in the name matches the database version number of the first virus database update I listed for me above).

I have dial-up, so I can't even do virus database update at 6.1MB from home. But why would these files be so huge all of a sudden? Is there something weird going on? I'm not going to update the definitions until I find out what's going on (which hopefully isn't too long because I think the program goes grayed out if you don't update the definitions within a week or so).

Any thoughts/answers are appreciated, as always! Thanks! :thumb:

18. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

This thread never seems to go away. Once it disappears it is just re resurrected back to the top. o_O

19. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Re: AVG AV Free Virus Database Update question

bloomcounty, the large 6.1 MB update was actually yesterday's update because today's (271.1.1/2636) was only 323KB.

I too was surprised by its size and had to do a double take, thinking that it was a program update, not a virus database update. I assume that its large size is due to the various Trojan variants incorporated in this latest update. It's only a guess because no one has posted in their forums as to why this one was so big.

I do suggest that you update as soon as possible, otherwise the download size might increase further.

20. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Received new Program AVG Free 9.0.733, via manual update, today. The Installation Files page still shows the old version 9.0.730, dated January 7, 2010.

avg90733.gif

No Release Notes posted yet.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  21. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

22. Artist3d

Artist3d Registered Member

Anyone notice you can't EXIT AVG 9.0 anymore? No Way No How? Is version 9.0.733 actually a virus?

HELPPP!!!

thanks

23. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Artist3d, first, welcome to Wilders! If by "exit" you mean via the Tray Icon (like in version 8.5), this AVG Free Forum Post will explain why AVG eliminated it in version 9.0.

That same post also links to: How to disable AVG Free temporarily. Hope the info helps!

24. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. The Installation Files page shows a new version 9.0.790 (avg_free_stf_en_90_790a2730.exe), dated March 8, 2010.

I have not received this version via manual update yet. The Updates page still shows version 9.0.733, dated January 25, 2010.

No Release Notes yet.

25. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Received AVG 9.0.790 via Manual Update today.

avg90790.gif

AVG 9.0.790 Free - Release Notes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.