AVG Antivirus from Avast Beta / Final Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mops21, Dec 9, 2016.

1. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

This is one really weird step from the developers.Now noting that Avast! has bought AVG.They are really focusing hard on AVG Beta for 2017 whereas the Avast! 2017 Beta looks abandoned.All we have heard is the next beta will have AVG's IDP and other stuff but so far AVG beta isn't even over.I wonder when avast! beta will start and end?? I don't want to see a rushed avast! release.

2. guest

guest Guest

Avast will release a new beta in a few days and the final release at the end of January.

Both products will basically share the same development with different skins

3. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  4. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

5. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Oh yeah, the Tune Up, how silly of me to think this thing would be discontinued following the merger. I demoed this over a year ago, and found it to be the most useless, pie chart-filled bloat thing I'd ever seen. I run Windows Maintenance Service--it's most effective. AVG Internet Security is still in my sights, but whenever something merges with another, you wonder about the changes despite the hype to the contrary.

6. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

As a paid user of AVG PC TuneUp, I'm glad that development is continuing, as it has made a big dfference in my computers performance.[/QUOTE]

7. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Admittedly it's been over a year, but wow, every time I went to delete large folders, I always got this refusal stating it would ruin Windows, yet those pie charts always seemed to indicate they could be deleted. You don't get PUP detections running Tune Up? Honestly? I don't see why one pays as much for AVG Tune Up as for an antivirus when running Windows Maintenance for 15-20 minutes every two weeks :):thumb:, CCleaner portable and your own well-informed point-and-clicks do the same if not better--for free.

8. roger_m

No I don't. It works a lot better for me than Windows Maintenance and CCleaner do. I have a lot of programs installed on my computer, and using the Program Deactivator to disable many of them, lead to a very noticable speed increase. As for other features, there's nothing remarkable, but it does work well, and is very safe to use.

9. roger_m

I just tried the new AVG beta. I don't like that there is no option to ignore detected files, or ignore files when restoring them from quarantine, so I've already uninstalled it. At least with previous versions of AVG, there was the option to ignore some files. It is good that quarantine is working now, so that everything gets quarantined, which is better than previous betas where some threats were deleted without being quaratined.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  10. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

This is not good, see what I mean? The core AVG was really good, the only one that would persuade me to give up my current set-up. Seeing as this is still in beta, hopefully the developers will restore this function, it's pretty important. Thanks for posting your impressions of the trial, it'll have to stay at watchful waiting for the present.

11. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

AVG Anti-Virus Free 17.1.3006

Here are the major changes to AntiVirus FREE:
    • Improved malware detection stops threats like never before
    • Redesigned interface simplifies your security into 5 layers of protection
    • New 1-click "SCAN COMPUTER" button quickly finds both malware and PC problems
    • New scan types added: USB/DVD Scan, Deep Scan, and Boot-Time Scan
    • New Passive Mode lets you install AVG with real-time protection turned off (useful if you already have another antivirus on your PC)
    • Online Shield is now available to free users to scan for malicious downloads
    • Real-time security updates are now available to free users.
    http://www.avg.com/ww-en/free-antivirus-download

12. anon

anon Registered Member

Avast launches AVG 2017 range
    http://www.softwarecrew.com/2017/01/avast-launches-avg-2017-range/

13. avman1995

It's great to see the company headed in the right direction.IDP is the main thing that will change the entire problem that people had when a malicious file was identified by the deepscreen.Of course,during the beta testers have done quite a bit of testing and it seems to be working.

I am happy to see them back after all the setbacks I and some other testers had with avast.Hope to see this turn in favour of both free products.Vlk and his team seem to have worked really hard and I can say it will bring positive vibe in the community.

Thanks,
    TI

14. ance

ance formerly: fmon

I really like the latest version so far, nice work. :thumb:

15. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

fmon..I am also using the new final version very nice indeed. my question when I downloaded the free version
    it installed a pro version with 29 days left on my subscription?? does yours and after the 29th day does it revert to FREE??
    thanks

16. ance

Sorry but I can't find any licence settings at all, is it impossible to add a licence key?! I'm using the free version.

17. remco8264

remco8264 Registered Member

AVG Customer Support told me that the 2017 release is currently only for the free version and the multi-device (unlimited) products. Those are activated using Zen. For users of the classic products with license keys (AVG AntiVirus Pro and AVG Internet Security), the 2017 release is not yet available.

18. boredog

boredog Registered Member

does this require a reboot to install? I was wanting to try it in shadow mode.

19. boredog

boredog Registered Member

When I downloaded the new version in your post above, it gives me a choice of the free version or the full 30 day trial. so far it hasn't asked for a reboot but I still installing. seems to take a long time to install.

20. avman1995

What is going to be more interesting about avast and avg coming together isn't just about the technologies they share but even their database.

This is going to have a HUGE impact on the AV industry and make these 2 products stronger as time passes.It's really great stuff for free.

21. ance

I expect at least 105 % detection. :geek:

22. avman1995

Impossible to be 100% with current influx of malware coming out every single day.

23. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

I think ill try it says simple lol, sick of Avira icon missing in tray
    Update.
    New UI is amazing!! i like it......reminds me of the old days!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  24. entropism

entropism Registered Member

Any comments/complaints on how heavy it is, perhaps as compared to Avast? My sub to Webroot is ending soon, and I know I won't get anything quite as light as that, but I'd like it to be as light as possible. This would be on a 4Ghz 3570K, 16GB of ram, SSD, ect.

Also, I see AVG still has their paid "AVG Antivirus" solution (for example here - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832620175 ), but it's not actually listed on their web page anymore. What are the differences between this and the free AV?

25. ance

Differences between AVG Antivirus 2016 and AVG Free 2016: Online Shield and more updates

These features are available in the free version 2017 now, very nice Avast. However, you can still buy AVG Internet Security with data safe, firewall, anti-spam.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.