AVG Antivirus Free 2011

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Brocke, Oct 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

One thing I would like to mention and which personally pisses me off is that AVG is auto-updated and when it happens, you can forget any other PC activity until it finishes. My entire capacity appears to be soaked up by AVG during updating and I have to simply grow older until it has completed it`s enjoyable little exercise.

I guess it is the price I have to pay for a security program that performs better than all others.

John

2. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

What kind of computer do you have? You got something boned up. The database updates are about two, three dozen KB tops.

I recently resurrected a old laptop (P4, 512MB, XPsp3) for "recliner chair duty" and if it wasn't for the "display tray notifications about update" (and LinkScanner icons in search) I wouldn't even notice AVG was there. Ditto for my E8400 and i7 boxes, of course.

Though AVG does piss me off with incremental product version updates. It'll just download and install megabytes of files and the default is to "Restart immediately" when it's done. I guess I can be thankful there's the option to "Require confirmation" for the restart. An "Update available; Now/Later" option would be nice.

But AVG is not alone in this "automatic and transparent" design.

Panda Cloud being the most egregious in my recent experience. Their random updates are about 15 Nano-signatures files worth 25MB and no notifications or options whatsoever. And its services need a stop/restart in the process; it's the only app to date that has managed to booger up the i7. But they and their fanboiz sure like to toot horns about that "cloud" AV!

MBAM Pro's updates, several times a day, are ~5MB but quite unobtrusive.

3. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

@LODBROK... I guess you missed the news, so I'll just fill you in.

According to JohnBull, "there is nothing wrong with my machine", and "it does not pin the fault on me or my equipment".

Please try to adjust your thinking accordingly, and pay attention before you respond to him in that manner again.

4. John Bull

Thanks Page, you`re either a pal or digging me - I think the former.

Next time AVG updates, I will bring up Process Explorer, display the System Information activity graphs and when they are showing a good reading take a screen shot, then post it.

Perhaps you can then comment on whether the CPU usage or something is excessive.

one thing is for sure, something hogs the whole choccie bar while it is updating. I have to take a break.
    Thanks
    John

5. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

AVG 2011 SP1 is in beta, for Internet Security this is the changelist

AVG 2011 VERSION DESCRIPTION
    ============================
    Product: AVG Internet Security
    Version: 2011 (build 1272)

FIXES & IMPROVEMENTS
    ====================
    * Anti-Rootkit: Improvements in Anti-Rootkit scanning.
    * API: Added API method IAvgApiSchedule7::Execute.
    * API: Cache Server configuration support added to API.
    * Core: Time needed to stop running AVG scan was reduced.
    * Core: Polymorphic malware detection methods have been improved.
    * Core: Implemented support for healing system files by AVG remover (reboot required).
    * Core: Possible crash in Driller detection fixed.
    * Core: Heuristic detection has been improved.
    * E-mail Scanner: Fixed issue with adding certifications.
    * E-mail Scanner: Fixed issue with corrupted digital signatures.
    * E-mail Scanner: Fixed issue with adding wrong charset to certifications.
    * E-mail Scanner: Fixed SSL handshake problem with VirginMedia.com servers.
    * E-mail Scanner: Fixed reporting options in e-mail.
    * E-mail Scanner: Added Thunderbird plug-in similar to Outlook plug-in.
    * E-mail Scanner: Fixed issue with certification check.
    * E-mail Scanner: Fixed issue with Outlook certification.
    * Firewall: Firewall does not reflect change of computer IP address unless its gateway changes.
    * Firewall: Active profile is automatically selected via network area detection after Firewall configuration reset.
    * Firewall: Network area detection was improved.
    * Firewall: Firewall allows traffic to VPN networks automatically.
    * Firewall: Fixed misreporting on missing NDIS driver on x64 systems while the driver had been installed.
    * Firewall: Fixed issue with wrong Firewall status after installation.
    * Firewall: Fixed memory leak in Firewall driver.
    * Firewall: Fixed possible BSOD in TDI driver.
    * Firewall: Fixed issue with Firewall user interface not responding during AVI update.
    * Kernel: Added progress bar for on-demand scans.
    * Online Shield: Fixed issue with possible Online Shield crash.
    * Resident Shield: Fixed issue with slowdown on excluded network paths (mostly an accountant software INI files).
    * Safe Search: Safe Search support in Google Chrome.
    * Safe Search: Fixed issue with Google Instant support.
    * Safe Search: No SafeSearch verdicts are displayed if SafeSearch component is not installed.
    * Safe Search: Implemented live phishing checks in Chrome.
    * Safe Search: Optimized Safe Search loading speed for Firefox and Internet Explorer.
    * Settings Manager: AVG Settings Manager supports Firewall configuration editing.
    * Settings Manager: New layout of AVG Settings Manager main dialog.
    * Setup: Existing AVI databases are reused when installing over currently installed AVG application.
    * Setup: The 'Activate license' dialog is not displayed for free products.
    * Setup: Server plugins are not available in Internet Security edition.
    * Setup: If some components require restart after AVG upgrade, the restart notification dialog is displayed.
    * Setup: Installation files from local backup are reused during installation change using online installer.
    * Setup: Fixed problem which caused a freeze before displaying the Toolbar dialog.
    * Setup: Fixed rare condition which causes downloads during installations to fail.
    * Setup: Changed auto restart behavior during silent installation when the previous version is to be uninstalled. If 'DontRestart' parameter is present, a notice is displayed and the restart postponed for 10 minutes.
    * Setup: Outlook 2010 detection fixed.
    * Setup: If AVG 2011 installation runs in silent mode, the potential AVG 9 un-installation process is hidden, too.
    * Setup: Fixed failure on setting access rights for AVG files.
    * Setup: When incorrect package is used (x64 on x86, or vice versa), the installation is always blocked.
    * Setup: Fixed error 0xe0010002 during driver installation.
    * Setup: Decreased number of restart requests during program update.
    * Setup: In case of remote installation in "progress only" mode the Toolbar offer screen is not displayed.
    * Setup: Fixed issue with missing installation files during add/remove installations.
    * Update: W3SVC is restarted only if necessary.
    * Update: It is not possible to run update and installation at same time.
    * User Interface: Fixed issue with Scan result opening after scan has finished.
    * User Interface: Minor fixes and improvements in AVG main user interface graphics.
    * User Interface: Fixed rare cases when AVG prevents system restart.
    * User Interface: Added notification about inaccessible target page after clicking the link in HTML popup.
    * User Interface: Changed message box / checkbox size for Chinese characters.
    * User Interface: Allow user to disable anti-spam filtering from component's overview.
    * User Interface: Default button in postpone restart dialog after update has been changed to "Postpone".
    * User Interface: Warning text was added into Postpone restart dialog to inform user about other active sessions.
    * User Interface: Added AVG Toolbar component into main UI components' overview.
    * User Interface: Fixed editing of disabled excluded Resident Shield items.

6. John Bull

As promised here is a screen shot of Process Explorer during an AVG update.

AVG update.JPG

Don`t see much to soak up my capacity. Physical Memory seems a bit high.

Unless you have a point to make, it looks OK, but when AVG updates, I have to take a hike until it finishes.

John

7. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I see they won't be either removing the crappy PC Analyzer nor make such component, including not installing real-time protection optional, for those only wishing Identity Protection. (Obviously, I'm referring also to the FREE version, because some of these changes will also reflect to it.)

It's nice to see that AVG really is eagerly wishing for a change, to meet users needs. :D

8. John Bull

Don`t be too harsh on them m00ny, The Analyser was the result of the Office Boy having too much booze during an office party and it slipped through the net. Even AVG know it is crap, but they don`t want to hurt the poor boy`s feelings.

9. m00nbl00d

That was funny. :D

But, if we aren't harsh, they won't change it. ;)

I also think I may have scared kodl away... It would be nice to know whether or not he/she is, in fact, the same Kodl - AVG Manager - at the free AVG forums. This way he/she could be our spokesperson... :D

10. John Bull

Don`t tease me m00ny, I upset the AVG hierarchy because they skipped answering my questions like an accomplished politician at a chat show. Never been back. Life goes on. I get more out of Wilders than all the other Forum`s put together. I have never got anything from a "product" Forum, given them up.

11. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

He's not just a forum manager but the CTO of AVG.....:D

Source:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1235971&postcount=5

(Side note: Can't believe it's been that long since the post above.....:eek:)

12. m00nbl00d

That's great... :D

I had no idea. Even better, uh? ;) Come on, kodl, do not be shy now. ;)

Now, seriously - I was being serious, by the way. - it's nice to have the CTO here.

I hope something great can come out of this! :D

13. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Have they fixed the messed up interface under WinXP ? I'm talking about those famous min/max/close buttons that are flashing when you hover a mouse over them.

15. m00nbl00d

Source: -http://forums.avg.com/us-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=110701

16. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

No. :D

Excellent. Glad it's all squared away.

17. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Hmmm. My AVG 2011 Free in-product Update reports my 1191 is still up to date. As of right now, the update Web site shows 1191 as current when I distinctly remember seeing 1202 earlier today.

Seems like they've rolled back 1202 for now. o_O

18. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I received the 1202 update a 2-3 days ago. But it was apparently out quite a bit before that......

(Note: paid version user here)

19. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

AVG Anti-Virus Free 10.0.1204

http://free.avg.com/ww-en/download.prd-afh

Program update AVG Internet Security 2011.1204
    Fixes & Improvements
    E-mail Scanner: Fixed SSL certification check.
    Outlook: Outlook addin crash fixed.
    Setup: Fixed issue with missing installation files when using online installer.
    Setup: Fixed reports about damaged avgrsstx.dll.
    Update: Fixed wrong reporting of installation type in ADMIN console.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  20. m00nbl00d

Are you able to download either AVG AV or Linkscanner? I get an error when connecting to their server. I wonder if a new version is coming and they removed the current version from their server before time?

-edit-

Got it to work.

Access to domain -download.avgfree.com was being blocked due to a conficker removal tool hosted on AVG server, which I don't know whether it is or not something odd, but it was named rmdndup1.exe; no longer on their server. There's one named rmdndup.exe -http://download.avg.com/filedir/util/avg_rem_sup.dir/rmdndup.exe

According to VirusTotal, 5/43 detect rmdndup1.exe as being malicious/suspicious. The same for file with name rmdndup.exe.

File name rmdndup1.exe was not uploaded by me to VirusTotal.

Odd situation o_O

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  21. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

thought i would try it again, good god it's been murdered avg !no way took it off what bloat. Reminds me of Norton! AVG u killed it since 7.5.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

22. m00nbl00d

I remember an user mentioning sometime ago that the Identity Protection component (AVG behavior blocker) detected more malware samples than their own AV component. At the time, I didn't give it much thinking, but after seeing this -http://forums.avg.com/us-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=147933 (see -http://www.hurt911.org/avgidentity.jpg), I started to think about all this. AVG Identity Protection is suppose to detect and stop unknown bad code "using behavioral technologies."

Source

If it does not check against any malware database, because it "verifies the behavior of applications", then why is it detecting known malicious processes?

Was this a way of AVG trying to trick users to believe they have improved Identity Protection? The way Identity Protection works, even when it was property of SANA Security (under a different name), makes wonder why such is happening?

23. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I can't believe a BB is able to detect more than their engine :blink:

24. clocks

clocks Registered Member

It is odd. I think part of it is IDP is really good. I do think AVG needs to better integrate it though.

25. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

AVG indeed seem to have integrated it in a not really great way.

But one thing that is a fact, is that Identity Protection is a great behavior blocker to complement an antivirus. I wish they would provide it as a standalone free product, just like they do with LinkScanner. It is really way better than the avast!'s Behavioral Shield and the Avira's ProActive solution, also better than G Data's Behavior Blocker and BitDefender's solution. It will be hard to compare it to SONAR, since SONAR works in a very different way, in which Norton is really dependant on Norton Insight. I think that if you compare it to other behavior based solutions only Mamutu and ThreatFire are better than Identity Protection.

It proofs that it doesn't matter what technologies a vendor uses, but the way it is implemented. It is useless to use all those words like virtualization, sandboxing, behavior blocking and Cloud technologies as a buzzword. It doesn't say anything about capabilities. That is why I still have a lot of faith in the upcoming ESET version. Despite I don't like the fact they don't "leak" some information about the features, I have a lot of faith that if they make something, they will make it properly working. In contrary to avast! and Avira, I think avast! first of should have finished the work on the Behavior Shield, and only after that start working on AutoSandboxing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.