AVG Antivirus Free 2011

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Brocke, Oct 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

AVG resident shield is flagging Malwarebytes as Trojan

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  2. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

AVG biggest problem is frequent FP and detecting common/antimalware programs or OS files. FP’s are common for every AV, but AVG is trying to hit a new record.

3. carat

carat Guest

Next AVG FP:

It quarantined several ATI driver files :ouch:

4. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Over at MBAM's free-for-all barnyard forum there is a thread where listed are a boat load of AV apps which need to have MBAM components added as exceptions. AVG is among them.

Yeah, AVG is the only app to ever have any FP issues. :cautious: Go to Resident Shield Settings and de-select "Remove all threats automatically."

Oh, they're just trying to hit the new FP Gold Standard app: Panda Cloud. :thumb:

5. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

I have just completed a whole system scan with AVG 2011 and it found nothing.
    The Email and Resident Shield also show nothing. After many such scans, nothing has ever been found.

How is it that the last few posts talk about all kinds of faults and false positives being present with AVG 2011 yet my experience is that the program is perfect ?

If AVG are guilty of having so many FP`s etc. then it must be consistent with all users - it is NOT. Erratic behaviour by the same program is impossible, so it has got to be some kind of incompatibility with those system combinations that are experiencing the problems specified.

I have MBAM as you see, together with many more programs.

It has got to be some individual system irregularity present. It cannot be AVG since none of my scans show the same faults - a clear scan every time.

I would like our experts to explain this contradictory experience in a logical and technical manner. It is NOT an argumentative point, it is a serious matter that on the face of it is tending to place an unjust blemish and bad press on an extremely high quality AV and AM program.

It is not possible for me to accept such criticisms of AVG 2011 when the program has done nothing wrong under my control.

I have AVG 2011 version 10.0.1170 - Virus DB 1435/3321 - Link scanner version 430 and my last update was 12/24/10 at 19.15 GMT London time.

Having made my point in a civilised manner that all readers will hopefully understand, I expect any replies to be in a similar vein and will completely ignore any irrational or argumentative posts.

John

PS - Scans with HMP, MBAM and Emsisoft AM also consistently show nothing.

6. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

LOL! :D

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I haven't seen evidence of excessive FP's in the several reviews of Panda I've read. More info would be welcome as I've been considering it for when I get a laptop.

8. Daveski17

My experience with the Panda Cloud was that it was very light (amazingly light after having McAfee on my laptop for a year) & I quite liked it. It didn't last more than a day though as although it seemed fine at first, after a full scan, it found three 'viruses'. I realised that they were false-positives & thankfully (unlike McAfee) it didn't automatically quarantine them. I replaced Panda with MSE. I think that the freeware version of the Panda Cloud may be good in the future, I just don't trust it at the moment. I'm not the only person to have had this experience on these boards either. I can't speak for the vendor version.

Nice try Panda, after all, it was freeware, but 'could do better'. 'Simply Evolution' .... *Thinks pterodactyl*

*The video on that page is cool though ... it sold me anyway! *Doh!*

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  9. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

I did not post the false positive t0 prove that "AVG was the only app. ever to have any false positive" :( Since this thread was for AVG it allows other users to see the issue and respond accordingly...i don't see any reason to be too critical/possessive about it. I added MBAM to exceptions. thank you.

10. carat

carat Guest

Don't get me wrong - I like AVG but ...

... they should stop this try :D

11. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Point taken; my response could have been less according - I stand humbled. But your overpowering screen shots and terse commentary lead to my posting as clarification to those other users who as a result might think AVG and MBAM don't work together.

In running AVG Free (versions 9 & 10) and MBAM Pro since 1.44, I've never seen the detection you observed. But that's just in my experience. I wonder if it was just a bum Ivai database at that point in time which evoked those hits?

12. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

That's largely to do with the variety of Windows versions and the nearly endless choice of hardware (and their drivers) and even more endless choices of installed software and on how well they've been installed. And the lingering effects of the poorly un-installed.

Like automobiles where there are strict standards so we all drive in within mostly similar artistically licensed engineering disciplines, the roads we travel are most certainly diverse to an Nth degree even if we live in the same geography.

I find AVG 2011 Free to be pretty darned good, too. I run it without the email and Office components. On two XP SP3 systems it runs along side Malware Defender, MBAM Pro, Immunet Free and Zemana AntiLogger. Except on one right now I've got the ClamAV for Windows beta.

I should add AVG is the only app that loads at startup. I've configured the other services as Manual startup types and otherwise suppressed executables from loading. In this order I start individually MD, MBAM and Immunet via script and bat files and then Zemana from the Start menu.

I can run HMP, Norton Power Eraser and Emsisoft Emergency Kit at will with no issues.

I burn images every two weeks and every now and then I go hog wild clicking on stuff in Malware Domains and Malc0de. In the (very) long run, AVG's Resident Shield runs 60-95% under my unscientific methodology.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2010
  13. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

In my experience it was highly intrusive and uncontrollable. It would randomly run its upgrade and bugger things up as it downloaded and installed 25MB of "nano-somethings." And we're discussing my i7-class desktop with a 30 mbps connection. BTW, has anyone noticed that Panda Cloud is really Panda Some-Cloud?

I do a lot of multimedia and graphics work and got tired of the alerts simply worded as "threat deleted" (or something vaguely like that) where I had to stop what I was doing to see what that was all about and restore from their trash component.

While all that automatic and background stuff is just wonderful for the masses, its just plain awful otherwise. Fortunately, its detection is world-class. And for those like me, there are other and superior choices.

Oh well, way off thread here. Enough of that. Sorry!

14. carat

carat Guest

ATI FP has been fixed :)

15. John Bull

What can I say ? JB can say lots as you probably know, he `aint short on words, but in this case it is simply, THANK YOU Lodbrok for a most explanatory and friendly response. Without any technical gobble-de-gook it all makes perfect sense.

It also explains why AVG 2011 performs good for some and bad for others - it is NOT any fault of the program or the vendor and their brilliant designers, it is the infinite variety of hotch-potch system/software combinations present in our world-wide community that is the cause.

Please fellows, don`t shoot the donkey - pay attention to the wheel.

John

16. Daveski17

Well, I don't want to stray off topic, but to be totally honest, I didn't give it much of a test because as soon as I got those f/ps I uninstalled it & installed MSE. It was probably a lucky escape if you are right though.

17. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

18. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Yes, indeed. I contacted AVG sometime ago regarding some of these "conflicts" with avast! 5 and MSE.

I could not reproduce such "conflicts". They said that their Q&A team has checked such application again (newest versions available), and that a next release would allow installation of LinkScanner (This was my point of discussion with AVG) in a system already running avast!.

I don't know if this already happens? I never retested it, as I don't have a way to work with virtual machines anytime soon. :(

Their FAQ page no longer display avast! as being a conflicting app, though. (http://www.avg.com/ww-en/faq.num-3283#num-3283)

It seems to me that, more and more, AVG is listening less to their users, free or paid.
    Ultimately, it will be their loss.

I do "like" when they mention conflicts with certain antiviruses, but not with all? lol

Won't, for example, Norton fight for conflicts... or Kaspersky, etc?

Funny, in the very least.

19. John Bull

No contribution here, just a comment.

As you already know from my posts, I am a great AVG enthusiast and have found this lengthy thread an immense help in enlightening my knowledge about performance and associated software problems.

It is rare that such a lengthy thread reaches 142 replies (time of writing) without unpleasant arguments and personal comments, plus as far as I can tell, achieving the unachievable in giving our workaholic Mods time off to relax and get totally sloshed on their handy bottle of Jack Daniels bourbon.

Well done everybody and I am sure that all our readers look forward to yet more convivial rationale and informative posts.

John :thumb: :thumb:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  20. John Bull

AVG 2011 suddenly stopped updating over Christmas and after many tries it failed each time.

I downloaded the AVG 2011 extractor/installer to my desktop. It has a REPAIR choice. I selected this and ran it several times. When the configuration progress bar reached around halfway, the whole computer froze up and I had to crash it on the power button and start again from reboot.

During the configuration progress, I noticed that my ZA firewall animated tray icon was active showing traffic. When it suddenly stopped, so did everything else. So ZA was conflicting with the 2011 installation, stopping it and seizing up my computer.

I made sure my Windows FW was enabled, disabled ZA and tried again. It all went without a hitch, 2011 was repaired and after an update worked perfectly. I enabled ZA and all returned to normal..

So, when installing any software and it has problems or even seizes like mine did, disable your firewall. Do not jump to conclusions and blame the software, which is easy to do.

Not all firewall`s have an animated icon that indicates activity, so poor old AVG 2011 or any other software would get the blame for something it is not guilty of. Any problems, kill your firewall and try again.

21. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

No wonder Cnet said that! it does it clogs and BSOD my computer too........Its malaware nothing short! Go back to basics 7 :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

22. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

This is just another great example of if it's not broken then don't fix it!!

23. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

24. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

# Fixes & Improvements
    - Setup: Fixed installation failure when Toolbar is not installed, and change of search provider is enabled.
    - Setup: Fixed disabled AVG Identity Protection component after installation.

25. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

Many thanks for the info.

Where did you find it

That is the full changelog

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.