AVG Antivirus Free 2011

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Brocke, Oct 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

FYI:
    In XP Pro SP3, I have Malwarebytes v1.50 Pro running A-OK with AVG 2011 Free as it did v1.46. The suggested MBAM items (per their forum) are in AVG's Resident Shield Exclusion List. Nothing AVG has been needed for MBAM's Ignore List. Well, not yet. ;)

Dec 03 edit: I did see mbamservice quite a bit active (20-35%) but not invasive or detrimental to AVG updates and scans so I added the program files and All Users paths only to MBAM's Ignore List. Resolved! Barely a squeak from mbamservice for any AVG involved activities. That Ignore List is a nice piece of work.

@m00nbl00d: :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2010
  2. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

3. carat

carat Guest

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Heck! What a mess, uh? :D

It never ceases to amaze me how applications that are suppose to protect users, actually turn out to do a much better job than malware most time, because unlike malware authors, these guys are being willingly paid by their costumers (There's paid products involved; and not just mentioning AVG).

AVG 2011 product already was seen the buggiest ever; these sort of situations do not help, at all.

6. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you!
    This kind of stuff NEVER happened to the likes of Norton.
    Or Kaspersky.
    Or Trend Micro.
    Or McAfee.
    Or Avast.
    Or... oh, wait.
    Yeah it did.
    Never mind.

Um. Gee. Almost forgot. This place is a major Avast phanboiz dump. I'd better link up a factoid or two, not that details matter around here.
    -http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/07/avast_false_positive/-
    -http://blog.avast.com/2009/12/04/apologies-for-bad-definition-update/#more-720-

Of course, that will never ever forever and more happen again to Avast. They have a pretty GUI. :thumb:

7. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Put 7.5 on other day for a laugh on win 7 oh the speed of that thing!!, and the pc was super fast!!! so nice what did you do AVG?? since then?....... it's so good!!!!! :(...the old saying if it aint broke!!.....ah well one can wish? perhaps we can have a choice? i still like there definitions. I know you can untick link scanner during install but it's still to bulky for me.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  8. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

9. Halffull

Halffull Registered Member

I felt the AVG was limiting my netbook, and ultimately wasn't designed for ultra low powered laptops, the 64bit crisis with AVG made me switch, and now I have Avast running on my netbooks.

I can't really notice much of a difference.

10. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Thanks Mops21!
    Looks like a maintenance upgrade; core protection remains unchanged.
    Firefox 4 support implemented...

From the AVG Free forum: EDIT BIG AL 43.. Please note that due to some possible issues with its installation version 1188 has been temporarily withdrawn & new version 1189 should be released on Monday 20/12/2010.

Program update AVG 2011 Free 10.0.1188 ................... December 16, 2010
    AvgSys: Fixed issue with blocked scanning launch on file systems with limited capabilities.
    Core: Fixed issue with crash while scanning corrupted *.chm file.
    E-mail Scanner: Fixed IMAP parsing problem.
    E-mail Scanner: Readjusted timing of the 'start e-mail scanning' pop-up notification.
    E-mail Scanner: Fixed Earthlink SpamBlocker issue.
    E-mail Scanner: Fixed problem with adding date-time to editing field.
    E-mail Scanner: Fixed freenet.de mail download problems (added POP3 command).
    E-mail Scanner: Fixed problem with e-mail scanning on x64 platforms.
    Safe Search: Added support for Firefox v4.
    Safe Search: Fixed issue with Internet Explorer crash due to Safe Search.
    Safe Search: Fixed issue with excessive delay in form completion using roboform.
    Setup: AVG client setup is able to preset languages installed in previous version (AVG 9 or AVG 8.5).
    Setup: Fixed issue with installation on computers where Windows were not on C: drive.
    Setup: Fixed NDIS driver installation issue with damaged INF cache in Windows.
    Setup: Decreased disk space requirements for backup of setup files.
    Setup: AVG requires less disk space after installation.
    Setup: Failure of previous AVG version uninstallation is properly reported.
    Setup: Fixed problem with repeatedly required system restart during upgrade from an older AVG version to AVG 2011.
    Setup: In case of online installation fail an error report containing basic data about the issue is sent to AVG for further analysis.
    Toolbar: New version of toolbar implemented.
    Update: Fixed malfunction caused by turning off computer during program update.
    Update: Fixed issue with update fail caused by processing of flags received from update server.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2010
  11. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I'm guessing by the change log that they still haven't made it possible upon installation only to select a single component we wish to install, like just Identity Protection. (Without having to install the AV components as well, even if we set it to disabled.)

I wonder when they will do it. I've suggested quite some time ago, and they said they were going to consider it.

12. carat

carat Guest

Please AVG - let me uninstall the AVG Registry Power Cleaner Tune up component :doubt:

13. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Not prepared to read 87 posts on this subject, no need to. I have had AVG 2011 Free for several weeks now and think it is the most fantastic and comprehensive AV program ever made available. I cannot see how anything can equal it let alone better it.

From my point of view, AVG 2011 has performed impeccably and with all the features - AV, Anti-Spyware, Link Scanner, Resident Shield, Email Scanner, Automatic update, Anti-Rootkit and ID protection, how could you possibly find a better security package available - and all for FREE ! The answer is - you will not.

I have used several AV programs, including years of Comodo and AVG 2011 floors the lot.

END GAME
    John

14. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

:thumb:
    The whole PC Analyzer component is just crap. Overall I really like AVG a lot but that thingy just shouldn't be there...

15. John Bull

Absolutely spot on Atom, the PC Analyser is a result of somebody trying to wreck a magnificent program from within. I don`t know how AVG allowed such a piece of CRAP to contaminate their superb gift to mankind.

I never mentioned it in my post because it is a feature that I ignore with utter contempt. Other than that, everything I said is bona-fide.

A combination of Sandboxie, AVG 2011 and ZA is about as formidable a defence that you can get. No run of the mill junk will get past that trio. You`d have to be a Fort Knox quality hacker to score a goal past that defence.

John

16. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

agreed. the pc analyzer is a pos. i tried avg for a few weeks and between the optimizer and the link scanner and not being able to do a custom install i just removed it. the link scanner was causing bsod's for me when i went to certain web sites i would got to that web site and bam bsod. happened on 3 different systems i tested it on WITH THE SAME web page causing each to bsod. so i gave up and removed it. overall its really not a bad av i also hated the new gui as well. its so messy imo they could have done a much simpler style interface with options under each type of thing involved. a lot like what say eset or avast do with thiers.

17. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Have they fixed broken window buttons (minimize, maximize and close) or are they still all ~Phrase removed~ up on WinXP ?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2010
  18. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

No they haven't. The buttons (and the whole title bar) still blink when the cursor moves over them. :thumbd: Not a big deal for me, just a little (annoying) glitch.

19. xandros

xandros Registered Member

i try it before but its not really protect me , when i uninstall it and download another antivirus its found many virus avg sleep dont know about it !!! so i dont trust avg anymore, and i use free antivirus also so i think there is many free antivirus detect more virus and clean it.

20. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Oh god, how long has it been? 2 months? Something i've never seen with avast!...

21. John Bull

I can only reiterate what I have said previously - my AVG 2011 works perfectly with none of the sexual side effects you describe or any other problems and as you can see, I have windows XP.

There is no doubt that AVG 2011 like every other program available is not perfect in absolute terms - nothing is and there are bound to be troubles with some systems for reasons unknown, that is life.

I have 100% confidence in AVG 2011 as a complete security tool and regardless of individual preferences for other programs, the performance of AVG 2011 is unsurpassed by any.

The point made about the buttons behaviour is obviously present on some PC`s, but NOT on mine. It is however such a piffling point to raise and totally insignificant.

John

22. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Can i still use AVG 7 or if it updates does it update to new one.I still got exe here lol
    o_O

23. John Bull

I had AVG 9 and then went to AVG 10, plodded along merrily and it updated normally. It was ME that uninstalled it and went for 2011, there was no prompting or nagging, after I looked at 2011 on the net, read what it included in detail etc., liked very much what I saw and dived in fast. Never regretted the change one bit.

John

24. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I just had to clean a system infected with the TDL4 rootkit that had AVG Free 2011 installed and updated. The customer said AVG alerted but couldn't stop the infection. The customer thinks he might have incorrectly clicked a permissions pop-up from AVG, but really doesn't understand how things work. The bottom line is AVG could not stop the rootkit install. Why would an AV ask the user what to do after properly identifying a rootkit? Or if it didn't identify it properly why would anyone invest 100% confidence in it?

AVG is not the only AV that can't deal with some of the serious threats. I recently had to remove a fake AV from a system that had Norton 360 running on it. Another had the TDL4 rootkit with Norton Internet Security flagging it but unable to remove it. Since these threats are the current and most serious you would think the security vendors would target them, but for some reason they can't get it together. Kaspersky TDSSkiller removes TDL3/4 in under five minutes, so what is the matter with AVG, Symantec, et al?

The lesson is you need additional tools to target the threats that you cannot rely on broad spectrum AV products to deal with. Fortunately there are a number of free on-demand scanners.

25. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

If you don't have a problem, that doesn't mean others don't have them as well. And horrifically flashing titlebar where you have to hunt the right microsecond to catch the close button just to close the damn thing, i's super annoying and any proper company would have fixed this already in 4 or 5 updates, as much as AVG has released so far. But no, they haven't fixed anything. Sure avast! guys have priorities but so far they've always found time to fix even the most insignificant and minor visual glitches.
    This is a reflection of a company that says "we mean serious business" with such attitude. I cannot say the same for AVG...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.