AVG Antivirus 9.0 released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by vijayind, Oct 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

gery, by your sig, looks like you are using an older IS version (Beta perhaps?).

FYI. Here's the current Installation files. Re: avg_ipw_stf_all_90_663a1703.exe.

2. gery

gery Registered Member

i downloaded it yesterday as i saw the new release here . used it for a couple of hourd and i could not open a few sites properly like Facebook and raymond forum and maybe some others
    As for the sig it is not updated since some times ago.....:D :D :D

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

gery, other than disabling components to see which one is the culprit, maybe your best bet is to contact Customer Support since you are using the Paid version.

Time for a sig update - there you go! :D

4. robinb

robinb Registered Member

i posted it in another subject but I should have posted it here, I i found that when trying to do an install of AVG Pro Antivirus it comes up on 2 machines both xp pro sp3 that there is an incompatablitiy with another software program but will not list the program. the box that comes up is completely empty. It is suppose to show you the conflict but it is completely blank. I continued the installation anyway, so far i see no problems with either computer.

But this is real strange- maybe a bug?

I emailed AVG- will wait and see what they say

robin

5. robinb

robinb Registered Member

avg replied back and said

It is possible that AVG detected some registry key or other minor leftovers of previous security software that is already uninstalled. In such case please click SKIP button to continue.

If you had just uninstalled other security program please ensure that the folders are removed and in case there are still some files in them please run remover from the supplier of the corresponding program to clean completely the computer.

Only thing is that i did not uninstall any security software prior to installing avg 9.0 on either computers in the past year no less prior to installing avg pro on both machines.

The only thing that is getting uninstalled is avg 8.5
    so i am assuming this must be a bug in installation and i emailed them back and said that

robin

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I just downloaded and installed AVG 9.0.663 (paid version). I must say it really is leaner (not to say 8.5 was very heavy to begin with) - they seem to have done some good optimization with this version!

Although I couldn't really find a lot in terms of new features, they did improve a lot of things with regards to gaming modes, firewall dialogs, general UI niggles, et cetera. :)

All in all I do believe AVG has a great product on their hands with the new version 9.0, but regardless of version 9.0, I would at least have to say kudos to a company that kept me as a customer so happy with their products that I have had a license for three years now, and only had to switch intermittently to another product for small periods of 15 days or so due to problems like BSODs with AVG's then-current version, which was soon fixed.......The company's support is really amongst the best I have seen (but not the fastest :)), so I would like to give a big thumbs up to them :thumb: :)

Now let's see what the free version brings to the table :D

7. xolith

xolith Registered Member

I dont like avg, it got "not so good" detection rate and it's just to simpel... Anyway good to hear for avg users

8. robinb

robinb Registered Member

btw release date so far for the free version is Oct 15 (of course unless they change this)

robin

9. progress

progress Guest

Thank you :thumb:

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Firecat, as a Free user, my only contact with AVG's Customer Support is via submissions of undetected malware and in every instance that I have reported something that AVG did not pick up, it has been added to a virus database definition within one hour or less! That, in my book, is excellent support.

While people argue which AV is best (as measured by this test or that test), every virus stricken PC that I have installed the AVG Free version, never suffer that fate again. After the AVG installation and training the program's user on its features, many of them to upgrade to the Paid version within a short time. Could it be that such an education is what prevents them from becoming infected, instead of just using the AVG program? Perhaps. Yet, in my small sample world, AVG is scoring 100%. :D

11. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

Some chinese forums have found out a way to see what AVG 9 Free Edition would look like before its offical release date.

As AVG products base on the serial number to identify which versions to be installed, you'll just have to put the serial number for AVG 8 Free Edition into AVG Anti-Virus 9.0 paid version's installer (which can be found here)

Just take a look at the screenshot below :D

Attached Files:

12. progress

progress Guest

Does it work without any problems? :)

13. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Since the rootkit detection issue is still being debated at AVG's management (or it was last I heard), it might be possible that AVG will detect rootkits in the "real" release of the free version. Let us see.

14. quanzi_1507

It works flawlessly :D

15. progress

progress Guest

Did you kill the advertisement banner in the bottom or is it original without banner? :)

16. quanzi_1507

I didn't do anything, it look likes the unofficial free version doesn't have ad banner, the official one will, though (I guess so).

17. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

It seems AVG is simply producing one unified installer which contains all components, and it will unlock the components depending on the license key, just like Vista Ultimate and Windows 7 Ultimate.

18. romance520

romance520 Registered Member

I installed the Avg Antivirus 9.0...

The one who is interesting in this new version's resource of system...can see

it from this following...

AVG.jpg

19. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

Would you mind enabling the displaying of CPU Time and show stats after a typical day's work :) Might give a better understanding how intensive those processes are besides their memory use.

20. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Wow, 8-9 processes. That's a lot.

21. romance520

romance520 Registered Member

So...It's using the "system.exe"'s resource...

It's heavy...not so light, just not like someone's imagine...

You can try it...

22. robinb

robinb Registered Member

i have 2 clients on avg internet security
    One of them, when trying to receive email, it gets to the 4th email then AVG pops up and says it has had a serious problem with its email scanner than closes and no more emails can come in.
    If you disable the email scanner it works fine

the other client has Outlook and can’t go from any web links in emails. Firefox is also very “iffy.” If he reboots, he cannot open it and then if he goes back after a few more times of using it, the little hour glass appears and then stops—not web. So, something changed

Anyone else seeing these?

ribub

23. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Haha LinkScanner. That thing rates dangerous sites as green. :p

24. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

I've updated to AVG 9.0 (paid version), and don't seem to have any problems. However, one thing concerns me a little. When Web Shield is active, it seems to accumulate temporary files rather rapidly. I emailed AVG and they indicated this was "normal". I use Easy Cleaner and it cannot clean temp files which are being used by Web Shield - until a reboot of the pc. I'm not sure if this could present a problem or not, but it's different from previous paid version of AVG.

25. oma53

oma53 Registered Member

Hello,
    There appears to be a problem with version 9 if you have the newest version of Firefox and have it running under Sandboxie.
    The virtual memory for Firefox keeps going up until SB will crash. So far, one other person on the Sandboxie forum has had the same results as I have.
    I have not heard of anyone else having these problems so I don’t know if it is isolated to certain conditions or not.
    I just wanted to state that I have been, and still am, a supporter of AVG and I am not trying to put this product down, just state that there appears to be some sort of conflict.
    Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.