AVG Antispyware will not update

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by robinb, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robinb

robinb Registered Member

I cannot get it to update today.
    I have the paid version on 1 computer and the free version on 3 and all of them are coming back with "downloading updates connected to server"
    it sits there for about 2minutes then comes back either saying no updates or "error reading server"
    I know there has to be updates.
    One computer has updates last 11/26/07 and the other 12/3/07. So at least the one that is 11/26/97 should have updated and i am sure there must be one past 12/3/07

robin

2. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

robinb,

Nothing unusual with those results. AVGAS is doing the same thing on my machines today. As a matter of fact it is nothing uncommon for it to either say there are no updates, or say it can't connect to the server, when there actually are updates to be retrieved. I have even seen it show no updates on one computer and allow updates to complete on the other. Sometimes I can just retry manually updating several times in a row and it will finally update. I think they just have server issues sometimes. You might try again later today. It's annoying for sure but it usually goes ahead and updates...eventually.

3. Green Giant

Green Giant Registered Member

I looked at my paid-for version of AVG AntiSpyware just now and found, when comparing it with the Ewido web site, that I was now protected against fewer items of spyware than shown on the web site. I shut down AVG, downloaded the latest complete database from the Ewido web site, installed the download and restarted AVG. The number of items of malware protected against is now the same as shown on the Ewido web site, but yesterday's date is still appearing on the Status page, as the update date, of the software in my PC.

I thought, 'Here we go again!'.

4. ronp

ronp Registered Member

I am in the middle of updating 150+ computers, and haven't been able to get reliable updates from the update server since 12-6-2007. It would be nice to know if the program is working properly before I leave the computer for the next one. As it is, I have had to uninstall, reboot, and reinstall over 2/3rds of the computers just to get the program to work at all. The prospect of having to go around to each one again in a week or two, just to see if they are working properly is enough to make me spend the next year looking for a replacement!

OK, I'm done complaining now, but it would be nice to hear from some of the AVG folks if this problem is being worked on, or perhaps being solved!

RonP

5. blueoysterdvp

blueoysterdvp Registered Member

Last update 12-10-2007.Paid version.Should we be surprised?

6. blueoysterdvp

Just got a manual update after several unsuccessful tries getting the error message.

7. ronp

ronp Registered Member

I have been able to get a successful connection after several tries also, but I really don't have time to sit and make several tries with each of the 150+ computers. I would like it to work while I'm sitting there.

RonP

8. blueoysterdvp

I agree.I only have 1 PC and it's a pain.I'm paying for auto updates.I committed to AVG because I had ewido and loved it.

9. Green Giant

Green Giant Registered Member

I had an auto-update two hours ago, with the date of the update now showing as December 13, 2007.

It would be helpful, and courteous, if a representative of AVG announced in this forum, if there were problems with updates. Perhaps that it too much to expect!

10. blueoysterdvp

Same here got todays auto-update.When the complaining gets out of control a rep. usually pops in!

Unfortunately we have to go to the AVG AS support and submit this problem.I think wide spread problems like this should be announced here like you said.

11. roddy32

roddy32 Security Expert

I just got today's update with no problem. First time I have been able to update since the 10th. Maybe they fixed it? :rolleyes:

12. blueoysterdvp

Most likely the usual server problem they have from time to time.My auto updates have been coming through ok since yesterday.

13. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

Yes that's correct we had some server issues which should be fixed.
    Some servers hardware died.

We're sorry for the inconvenience and for the late notification here.

Regards,
    Vinzenz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.