AVG AntiSpyware or SUPERAntiSpyware?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Cerxes, Oct 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Well, I´ve reached to the conclusion that I need to cut down the amount of security apps that I have so one of them have to go...I just wonder which one of these apps would serve you better regarding detection,cleaning and stability? If someone have any views or knowledge about it, please comment :)

Regards, C.

2. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

I would say that AVG AntiSpyware is stronger in trojan detection and SUPERAntiSpyware is stronger in spyware detection. They can complement each other if they both exist on your system. Although AVG AntiSpyware may get stronger in spyware detection in the near future, it is still stronger in trojan detection at the moment. Since they are not similar, you may consider keeping them both.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Prevx1 is an all-in-one Anti-Malware software that prevents the installation of malwares.
    It works like a real-time shield of ONE scanner, but Prevx1 = sum of the real-time shields of all AV/AS/AT/AK-scanners.

Real-time scanners aren't strong enough because I can use only ONE real-time shield for each kind of scanner (AV/AS/AT/AK).
    On demand scanners are worthless to me, because they remove malwares, when it's too late.

So, I uninstalled all my scanners and replaced them with Prevx1.

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

That's a difficult choice.

AVG Antispyware has been around longer as Ewido.
    I'd give it a slight edge over SAS for that reason and I believe it to be a better trojan scanner.This is assuming that you aren't running BOClean or a licensed A/S program.

I'd keep both if possible.

5. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

I would like to add that I´ve paid licenses to both apps, and I also have KAV, BOClean, Prevx1 and SocketShield.

Regards, C.

6. ErikAlbert

So Prevx1 is on your computer.
    Do KAV, AVG AntiSpyware and SUPERAntiSpyware still find threats on your computer, since Prevx1 is installed ?

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Hmm.
    There are a couple of ways of looking at your situation...
    You have paid for the programs,might as well use them.
    Or-AVG Antispyware may not be needed with BOClean running.

8. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Agreed with Tester's choice. You can then have BOClean plus SUPERAntiSpyware, if you have to choose between SUPERAntiSpyware or AVG. Or you can set AVG to on-demand only, so that you can keep it instead of uninstalling it.

As ErikAlbert has said, Prevx1 is a good program and may be your first layer of defense. KAV, BOClean, etc would then be your second layer.

9. ErikAlbert

That is also a very good plan. I would use all the remaining scanners to verify Prevx1, because all these scanners are supposed not to find any threat anymore. :)

10. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

I would suggest you keep both products - meaning that no single product can (or likley ever will) detect, block and remove every type/variant of spyware, adware, malware on a given day.

As the disk space requirements are minimal for all of the apps, you can keep them installed and then if you feel something has "slipped by" your primary line of defense, you can use AVG Anti-Spyware, SUPERAntiSpyware, or other on-demand scanners to scan your system to detect and remove the infection.

Nick Skrepetos
    SUPERAntiSpyware.com
    http://www.superantispyware.com

11. mmiranda

mmiranda Registered Member

I have AVG Anti-Spyware running in realtime and SAS Free as on-demand. Is it advisable to have both of them running in realtime? or is it a waste of resources?

12. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

both realtime is unnecessary and would use up resources.

just keep one realtime and the other on-demand, or both on-demand.

13. ErikAlbert

Security forums always adviced me not to run two realtime shields of the same type of scanners and both are Anti-Spyware scanners. So only ONE shield is possible. Running both at the same time could cause conflicts.

14. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Do you have other security sofware that are also running in realtime?

15. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

OT I know, but I tried Prevx1 and while it seemed to work OK for a day or two, I found that after booting my system some apps would not start up (network apps). I eventually had to boot into Safe-Mode to uninstall Prevx1 because the installer could not terminate the Prevx1 processes, and if I manually terminated them the uninstaller would complete without actually uninstalling Prevx1.

Re. the OP, I would say go with AVG at the moment due to it being more mature. That's not to say SAS is not promising though. I did have SAS crash on me one time but never really looked into it.

16. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

That was my intention, like some sort of a "test" to see if Prevx ability to stop malware is according to their statements at their website. I also didn´t want to "put all the eggs in one basket...".

But then most of the AV apps, for example KAV, would conflict with all the AS/AT apps, since they also scanns with a similar tecnique after the same target. I don´t think targeting the same objects with similar scanning tecniques is the problem, because when an application finds something it flags for that specific malware object, in other words it has a "responsibility" for detecting - cleaning/deleting that specific malware. There is also another thing regarding conflicts and that is how the security apps works when detecting - cleaning/deleting, meaning that as long as they don´t interfere with eachother in the system, for example by hooking the same fields, then in theory it wouldn´t be any conflict. But since most, for example, AV:s have the same way of dealing with malware, they therefore conflict.

I´m no expert in this field so please correct me if I´m wrong in the above reasoning.

Regards, C.

17. mmiranda

mmiranda Registered Member

Thanks for the advice WSFuser and ErikAlbert. I guess I'll just keep AVG Anti-Spyware in realtime and SAS on-demand.

Chubb: I have NOD32, AVG Anti-Spyware, SocketShield and ZoneAlarm Pro working in realtime for ~2 months. No conflicts/BSOD yet and system is very responsive.

18. ErikAlbert

I fully agree with this. Keeping an eye on Prevx1 and your scanners is very smart.
    The only difference is, that I have another egg in my basket, but that doesn't matter at all. :D
    I'm not able to correct you, because I'm not an expert either and I understand your reasoning. Most scanners aren't pure anymore.
    I just followed the advices of knowledgeable members at SWI, BUT I noticed that there are users, who ignored that advice also and ran several similar real-time shields at the same time (One of them ran even two firewalls).
    As long it doesn't cause any problems, why not. :)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2006
  19. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I always did these, but it seems that the major users doesn't want to care with these...

Normally they only install an AV, and forget it...
    Of course that this should be the optimal solution, because a computer is more to work or play, but today the Internet risks are to high to not bother to them...

I always try to infuse theses thinks to my friends, but I have to admit that it's very difficult to they make something...

20. mypenry

mypenry Registered Member

Yet another Newbie question ....

I have AVG Anti-Spyware in realtime , but would just like to try SUPERAntiSpyware, but have it run on-demand

how when I download SUPERAntiSpyware would I get it to run on- demand only ..? ( may be a dumb question ..? )

Thanks .......... Mypenry

21. WSFuser

just download the free version of SUPERAntiSpyware. its made for on-demand scans only.

22. mypenry

Thanks .........WSFuser
    all I can say is ... this learning about computers is not as easy as the guy in the shop who sold me the computer said it would be !!

Now I feel even more of a fool !!

Thanks ......Mypenry

23. WSFuser

a good way to learn is by asking questions, so feel free to ask anything.

24. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Mypenry

Don't worry about feeling foolish. I'd be willing to bet you would be very hard pressed to make an original mistake. we've all been there and done it.

Pete

25. mypenry

Thanks Guy's for your kind words and support,

great to know you are there ..............

Thanks again .... Mypenry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.