AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 is the new Ewido release

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by ElPiedra, Oct 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks: New name new expectation and new hope? For those who (including myself) bought ewido's lifetime license during its final days may feel a bit uneasy after yesterday's event. On Grisoft's web site, AVG AS is offering one and two years lincese, not mentioning anything more than that . Does this mean lifetime license never have a place in their long term strategy? I just wounder how secure is my security-app's license? I bought it w/ high hope of a foreever peace of mind, and now I have to scratch my head and worry.:gack:

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Cannot download new version, it must be too busy!! Speed of transfer too low to attempt download.

3. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

They are honouring current licence arrangements, but a life licence was for the life of the product or company. The company has gone and the product has been rebranded. One has to think that there may come a time when Grisoft could announce that the product is being redeveloped therefore the old life licences will no longer apply. :mad:

4. robinb

robinb Registered Member

It seems you need to uninstall Ewido 4.0 Pro but what happens to everything you have in ignore or Quarantine?

robin

5. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

Unfortunately, at the moment this info will be lost. However, we are working on a setup which saves this info, stay tuned, I will inform you here when it's ready :)

6. Lucy85

Lucy85 Registered Member

Good day. I'm from Malaysia and i notice that i can't update whenever my IP ranging from 69.48.x.x to 69.50.x.x, the status says it's downloading but not a single bit is received even after half an hour.

Instead, the update completes instantly when the connection is made with IP ranging from 218.x.x.x to 219.x.x.x

7. Bronx Bunny

Bronx Bunny Registered Member

I have unistalled ewido anti-spyware 4.0 and rebooted

I then downloaded AVG anti-spyware 7.5 but am unable to install it

it says "please wait while avg anti-spyware is being installed" but just hangs with the green bar about halfway across the screen

when I click on show details it seems to be stuck at the following point

Registering : C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-spyware 7.5\context.dll

I have tried several times and it always seems to get stuck at this point, I have left it for 20 minutes and nothing happens

Is there something I need to do?

8. ElPiedra

ElPiedra Infrequent Poster

Yes o_O what happens to this forum, becouse the own official AVG forum i no like o_O

Salu2

9. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

There are no plans to close this board :)

10. shoe

shoe Registered Member

Thank God

11. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

I had this issue and i had to shut down everything that could conflict with the install process ( HIPS, RT scanner like AS or Another AT or even your AV)

One advice : if you try what i explain to you, stay offline during all the installation

Regards,

MaB

12. Bronx Bunny

Bronx Bunny Registered Member

thanks for the advice but it seems ok now

I turned off my computer for a couple of hours, and when I came back and tried to install again, it worked fine, no idea why

however I now see that this new AVG anti-spyware 7.5 offers no resident shield or automatic updates in the free version o_O

13. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Are you referring to the initial trial period, or to after the trial's over and you drop back to free version? It's new enough that I don't think anyone's in the latter situation yet.

It seems to work exactly the same as ewido did, all features are functional the first 30 days unless you specifically disable them. And the ewido free version (after the trial period) didn't offer auto updates or resident shield either.

14. robinb

robinb Registered Member

yes it does, I made it free and it still has the ability to do manual updates.

robin

15. robinb

robinb Registered Member

also I installed it on 5 computers- 3 client computers running Pro, one of mine running Pro and also 3 that were using it as free.

In the free I took off the residenti shield, disabled the AVG guardian exe in Services and stopped it from starting in Startup.

I just wish I might have waited a day a two because after seeing these posts I know see there is a newer version coming out that holds the quarentine files that I just lost on one of the computers. The others had nothing to delete they were clean.

Also will the help files come in a definition update? or will you give us a url here on where to pick them up.

Also when you update this to 7.5 something higher to fix the quarntine problem will we be able to just like before put it on top of the old? or will it come in like AVG antivirus which I happen to use and like, as an upgrade.

AVG now comes in the Updates" now when a version changes- will AVG Antispyware do it too?

robin

16. robinb

robinb Registered Member

and how do you put up a new version and forget to add the "help" part?

robin

17. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Now afterwards, I´m glad i didn´t buy the lifetime subscription, I only bought for one year. I feel sorry for them who did this, because I remember very well that it wasn´t so long after the ewido team starting to offer the lifetime subscription, that the news about selling the company to Grisoft was known. Therefore I got this feeling that it´s a little bit cynical of the former ewido team for offering this for the only reason of earning easy money. Yes, ewido/avg was a top AT apps before, and maybe still are, but the way how they handled this affair is a pitty and therefore I would say that since there is no ewido any longer, maybe it is better for this forum to join with the "other anti-malware" forum instead as a suggestion...

There is nothing wrong by earning money true business because everybody has to eat so to speak, but there is several ways how you can do this, and the above marketing strategy was...well...

Regards, C.

18. robinb

robinb Registered Member

So someone from the company want to tell us when the updated version is coming out that keeps the exceptions, quarntine items and gives us back the Help files?

I would like to get this before Thursday (I know I am asking alot) because I am bringing back this computer to my customer on Thursday and would like to install that update without going back to his home again. Time is money!

If not at least let us know so I can go back and install the update.

Also will it come like AVG does now when they do an update? They do it through the update process in AVG Antivirus when a version is upgraded.

thanks
    robin

19. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Until stated officially by an grisoft representative that ewido lifetime subscriptions will not be honored....I'll ask that We not create an atmosphere of wrong doing when wrong doing has not even been committed.

Thanks,
    Bubba

20. feddup

feddup Registered Member

lifetime ewido?

Not bashing at all but how about an answer from an Ewido rep on the lifetime license issue? I should have known better than to invest in PC lifetime anything!

21. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

Re: lifetime ewido?

The absolute silence about this probably means that not one of the employees of AVG being here can answer it now. So let's just wait and see. I only hope that they will honour the keys!

22. chaos

chaos Registered Member

Re: lifetime ewido?

I think they might convert them to 3 year licenses or something...
    Of course I don't know ,I am just guessing.
    I think though that anything less than 2 years extra is a robbery for the price the lifetime subscription cost.
    On the other hand they just might honour the licenses!:)
    I think someone should make clear what is going to happen.

P.S
    Even if they don't honour their licenses there is unfortunately no wrong doing on their part.
    Ewido as a company is dissolved after the merge with grisoft so legally it doesn't exist anymore.
    It's up to grisoft to decide now.

23. greenhatch

greenhatch Registered Member

I do find it annoying that the new AVG AS 7.5 has apparently enhanced features yet it omitted the help files and cannot retain user excepted files. I appreciate an Ewido rep has said above that this will be corrected soon but no time frame given unfortunately. And as another poster has asked already, will Grisoft update the AS program automatically like it does with its AV program?

24. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

The help file and possibly your other query will be via normal online-update.

Missing help file in AVG Anti-Spyware
    Bubba

25. DarkCypher0x0

DarkCypher0x0 Registered Member

I agree completely, I don't like how Grisoft is taking over this product, not to mention how very overrated AVG products are, AVG Anti-Virus is one of the worst Anti-Virus products on the market, I had it some time ago and was overrun with crap that Avast! has kept me clean of, I really hope for Ewido's sake that they continue to work on this product and not Grisoft.

I don't mean to create a nuisance of myself but since I bought this product I feel obligated to stress my concern, not only from a performance and security standpoint but a look standpoint, AVG insignia/icon looks terrible, I hate that icon, why can't you keep the Ewido name and icon?

I personally thought this was just a partnership I didn't know they bought you out fully, so my question to the Ewido team is, when will the Ewido site be shut down? Since it took on AVG's name now there isn't really any room for a product site that no longer exsist. I'm rather disappointed in this move and I would hate to have to use overrated products like Spy Sweeper or Spyware Doctor because an incompetent company like AVg/Grisoft took over a great product and destroyed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.