AVG Anti-Malware or AVG Pro + Windows Defender

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pipester, Jan 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pipester

pipester Guest

I have a friend who currently uses AVG antivirus free and wants to upgrade to a paid version. He likes what he has read about AVG Anti-Malware, at the moment he is using Windows Defender with IE6 and like's that combination, he said it has kept him adware/spyware free and protects his browser. Which would you choose ? The complete package AVG 7.5 Anti-Malware or the combination AVG 7.5 Pro Antivirus and Windows Defender for it's realtime protection features for Internet Explorer or can he still run Windows Defender with AVG Anti-Malware without some sort of conflict ? Does anyone who uses AVG Anti-Malware also use Windows Defender ? Your experience or expertise, much appreciated.

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

im pretty certain he should choose avg anti-malware out of the 2 suggested.

also, he should also think about upgrading to IE7, much better, faster surfing and more secure than IE6.

3. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

AVG Antimalware ;)

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Windows Defender is OK, and it would be a decent enough choice to put AVG 7.5 Pro alongside it, but personally I would recommend the complete AVG Anti-Malware as I think it is better than Windows Defender. AVG Anti-Malware probably is not compatible with Windows Defender because AVG Anti-Malware includes the engine of a well known AntiSpyware program which was formerly called Ewido. You cannot have two AntiSpyware engines running in real time. :)

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

@piperster

Hi . As a satisfied NOD32 user you can offer him NOD32 so that he try it .

As for AVG , I would definitely choose AVG AntiMalware because it includes Ewido , first class antispyware/antimalware software ;)

6. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

I recomended AVG Anit-Malware, Ewido better than Windows Defender..

7. pipester

pipester Guest

Thanks everyone, my friend is going to go with AVG Anti-Malware for his real time monitoring/protection and keep Windows Defender for on demand scanning.

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

use avg anti-malware, but there is no need for windows defender, even if you can use it on demand only, no point clogging up your machine with a lesser powerfull product of what you already have.

9. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

:thumb:
    There are way better on-demand scanners: Antivir PE (disable the guard), BitDefender 8, Dr. Web CureIt, SUPERAntiSpyware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.