AVG 8

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ankupan, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Actually the HTTP scanner is something nearly ALL others have for a very long time... avast! and NOD32 being the first ones...

2. avg_fan

avg_fan Registered Member

The AVG Internet Security version 8 beta has a combined Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware engine, plus Link Scanner, Anti-Spam, Firewall, System Tools, HTTP Scanning, Anti-Rootkit and Instant Messaging protection. That's a very powerful combination. Especially with LinkScanner being a real-time solution that's far superior to McAfee SiteAdvisor.

I use AVG Internet Security 7.5 together with the free edition of LinkScanner on my systems. AVG's policy is that you get all software version upgrades FREE for the term of your licence. So I'm really looking forward to getting AVG Internet Security 8.0 for free when it finally ships. I expect I'll then have the full version of LinkScanner, which will make surfing and searching the web even safer.

Some of my friends are using the 7.5 version of AVG Anti-Virus Free and AVG Anti-Spyware Free, which are separate installations. But in the version 8.0 beta of the AVG Internet Security suite, the Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware engine is combined. Thus you'd have to think that the AVG 8.0 Free product is likely to ship with both Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware combined.

Plus, AVG purchased LinkScanner late last year (see www.explabs.com). LinkScanner have a free offering as well. So you'd have to hope that the new AVG 8.0 Free product will include the free LinkScanner. Or maybe the free LinkScanner will remain a separate offering.

Anyway, we'll soon find out. But based on what I've seen in the beta version of AVG Internet Security 8.0, I doubt I'll be considering a Norton, McAfee or Kaspersky solution anytime soon.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  3. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

will they be releasing just the antivirus not the suite in beta too? :rolleyes:

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

AVG will have a better web scanner. It will combine a classic web scanner + the technology of Link Scanner.

5. kodl

kodl Registered Member

Exactly - and the LinkScanner technology is something really different and more advanced. See descriptions e.g. on the LinkScanner homepage (http://www.linkscanner.com/), but also here in the forums

6. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Just installed the Avg Pro 8.0 RC, but find it slowing down very badly, compared to the prior Beta build. Anyone else having the same experience?
    Great program.....great Gui, but the slowdown is not acceptable for me!

7. avg_fan

avg_fan Registered Member

I installed it on a Pentium II with just 512Mb of RAM running Windows XP Pro SP2 on Sunday. Seems to be running fine, though I haven't extensively tested that setup as yet.

8. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

That's a light computer and it seems to be running fine? Good for you!
    I have a Pentium IV with 2 Gb Ram and opening websites takes too long! Back to Avg Free for now.........is the fastest for me at the moment!

9. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

I installed the RC on my laptop which isn't the fastest by any means and I've not noticed any slowdown/problems. I'm pretty impressed with this so far. I think the Linkscanner is a nice idea. I'll be keeping an eye out for the official release and perhaps some reviews before I decide to purchase.

10. Pru

Pru Registered Member

I heard someone say AVG 8 will be a free upgrade for paying users of AVG 7.5 but I don't see that information anywhere on their website, and I haven't heard back from their sales support after asking them the same question.

So will AVG 8 be a free upgrade to paying users of AVG 7.5 and if yes, where is the evidence of that? :)

11. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

It has always been like this: AVG7 was free for users of AVG 6, AVG 7.5 was free for users of AVG7. So AVG8 should be free for users of 7.5 ;)

12. rayoflight

rayoflight Registered Member

AVG Webshield cause problems with chats:(

13. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I heard it was the other way around, which I believe because everyone knows that Chats causes problems everywhere he goes. LOL. Seriously what chats are you referring to?

14. Pru

Pru Registered Member

Thanks. I'll take that not as proof but as probability.

15. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Is the RC number 1257 listed on the beta page a newer RC version? Also how is AVG 8.0 RC still running for everyone?

16. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

I took it off big buggy slowed me down on core2duo, plus dont want a suite would rather just the av/as or av one when if it comes out

17. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

With the all components installed, it increased my "commit charge" from 115m to 370m :p That seems like a lot of memory/vm use.

Without the firewall and mailguard, it seemed to only increase to about 180. :blink:

18. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Has anyone tried testing AVG 8's firewall at grc.com? It will not pass the ShieldsUp test. I contacted Grisoft about this, but never received a reply.

19. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

Grisoft have announced that the new version:8 will debut tommorrow 28thFeb.
    Link

20. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I'll be using that tomorrow if my 7.5 license works for it, I tried it in beta ran well & I like what they are trying to do, I do have a license for the internet security...

21. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Sadly, I guess that's too late for AV-Comparatives February tests. I wish IBK would run an "off-schedule special test" of AVG 8.

22. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Ahh, great. I'm really excited now. But It's one thing I have a question about.

They say on the website they will ship AVG Internet Security tomorrow, but what about AVG Antivirus? Will it also be shipped?

23. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

if you read the release real close, it says:

"AVG Technologies, a leading provider of Internet Security software, announced the release of AVG Internet Security 8.0 for the 28th Feb, the latest version of its flagship suite for consumers and SMBs."

so your question is valid, makes you wonder if everyone can upgrade to the suite or the product is a just a version of the more robust security suite...

24. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

I was trialing AVG Internet Security and it just died on me and I had 21 days left on it.:( That was to bad because it seemed light and worked great.I wish I would have got to give the version 8 a spin before my icon went colorless.:'(

25. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

You will probably get to use the version 8 trial with a fully 30 days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.