AVG 8

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ankupan, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kodl

kodl Registered Member

Just FYI - ewido was acquired a long time ago (2 years). AVG8 now uses a new single engine that covers all kinds of malware. Also, it is never as easy as 'buying some database' - typically the detection engines of various products are so different that you cannot just use another database

2. Diver

Diver Registered Member

The internet is messed up without AVG 8.

On a serious note, memory usage (in Vista SP1 this is the memory bar graph as the memory stats for individual processes really tell you nothing) is much lower when the web scanning component is not installed, perhaps a 60-70 mb reduction, on my system. Anyone else notice this?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  3. robinb

robinb Registered Member

the restore point issue in avg 8 is fixed
    today there was an virus update and no restore point was made on my xp computer

robin

4. robinb

robinb Registered Member

AVG just issued a fix for the link scanner problem (hopefully)
    Please do the update- it takes it to 8.0.93
    please test it out and see if avg link scanner stops crashing

robin

5. cdr

cdr Registered Member

Boy, I sure hope it does!! The crashing was still going on for me just a couple of hours ago.
    :)

6. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

sad to see what 'was' such a stable program reduced to one of being inept because of 'added' features. I sure would like to see them either pull v8 or finally get it right. IMO whoever is doing there in house testing is letting them down, I hope they fix this 'finally' and correctly & just not fix to fix...

7. robinb

robinb Registered Member

did you test it? I have and so far so good
    link scanner seems to be loading faster and going from page to page seems to be loading faster too, so far anyway

robin

8. oma53

oma53 Registered Member

I recently installed Windows Cumulative Security Update for IE 7 944533 and received the following warning:
    FOUND ADWARE GENERIC
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\INTERNET EXPLORER\ACTIVEX COMPATIBILITY
    I put these two warnings in the virus vault and was then told by windows update that I needed to install the 944533 update again.
    I installed this again and again received the warning when I scanned my system.
    I have repeated this 3 times now with the same results.
    Why is this update conflicting with AVG 8.0?
    Tech Support has only stated so far to move the objects to the virus vault and has not addressed the conflict with Windows Update.
    This version of AVG 8.0 is the current build and is updated correctly.
    Thank You.

9. larryb52

nope still a piece of garbage, it took over my laptop & everything just froze solid. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, it's the worst piece of software I have ever seen released & that goes back to 1989. I opened IE it froze than when I tried to close it it acted like I had spyware as multiple windows of IE started to appear. I had to do a hard shutdown. I tried to unistall in safe mode , it wouldn't. I was wondering if I was going to have to reinstall from the disks but I finally after multiple boots got to the desktop(without a freeze) & got it removed , I had to run regsupreme twice to remove all the errors. They need to start over. I will never try another version of this program...

10. cdr

cdr Registered Member

robinb,
    Since I installed this new update, I have not had a crash. So far, so good. I hope it stays that way! All seems to be working well!:)

11. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Are you running a bunch of security programs from small vendors? That could be the problem. Perhaps the other programs are the cause of your angst. I am no fan boy of any security program, but you sound excessively sour on AVG, and my perception is they are trying pretty hard to get it right.

12. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Installed the latest build (893 - 1283) with a fix (supplied by support) for the webshield slowdown, but again.....I could not notice any improvement in speed and I still find it way too slow to be acceptable. Too bad, but I don't understand why on earth everything must be turned over, while 7.5 just is/was as smooth as silk.

13. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

i just installed this new avg version and it delete all my save cokies, how can i stop that?

thanks

14. Big Apple

Uncheck: Scanning all cookies!

15. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

sorry can you please tell me where cause i was locking for that and i cant found it, thanks for you help

16. Big Apple

I can't say precisely, as I already uninstalled avg8 again, but just look through the configurations and you'll find it.

17. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

thank you i found it :)

18. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

im yet to see it even remove a cookie is that good or bad hehe? :rolleyes:

19. Big Apple

Any time....;)

20. Big Apple

Depends on what you want. If you don't like to keep cookies.....just place a checkmark. It also removes tracking cookies, when the checkmark is ticked.

21. larryb52

:argh:

no no extra anything loading here & I actually use to like AVG but that build was terribly unstable. I got upset last night as I have license codes I would of lost on some of my games if I would of had to reformat. I should mention I run vista. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone with vista. This is worse than beta wear. If I would of reformated it would of cost me close to 75 bucks to recover codes. I think that may explain why I got carried away last night. Sorry about the post being not professional but I was really upset. My computer was terribly unstable to say the least...

22. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

is no bad, the problem is that you don't have the choice to keep some cookies, like this site i don't want to put my name and passw every time i come here, so for me = no good

23. mantra

mantra Registered Member

avg 8 and 7 are in virus detection module fast like nod

24. robinb

robinb Registered Member

If you use spybot s&D or spyblaster and are immunizing you will see an active x compatability. Just ignore them. It is a component in avg that is not compatable with these programs. It sees the active x as a possible threat but it is not.

You do not need to put them in the virus vault or delete them.
    If they pop up in spyware or infections then you need to remove them.
    I called AVG about this because i am seeing the exact thing and this is what they told me.
    I did a test
    I disabled spyblaster and took out the immunzation of spybot search and destory.
    I ran another avg scan and now it showed nothing in warnings.

So again- just do nothing if you see them in the "warnings" tab

robin

25. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Looks like I am ready to give up on this one as well. AVG 8 interferes with an optional feature of the power management on my Vaio notebook that cuts power to the optical drive while running on batteries. The power gets cut, but the drive stays disabled once back on AC. Its not the web scanner either. I suspect the file system drivers are at fault. Excluding the drive did not help. This behavior was observed in both XP and Vista (Veesta?).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.