AVG 8

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ankupan, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Vista.

2. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Just a short reply regarding the new build 87. Did a clean install again and also applied the Microsoft Fix, but it's still the same here.....same slowdown.
    I've disabled Webshield and Linkscanner and all is just great, but I want to use the complete program, "that's what I install it for".
    Again: I loaded an empty image of Vista and installed Avg as only program, so I wouldn't know what's bugging this, except for Avg itself.
    Sorry I had to remove it again, but I really hope this will be resolved.....sometime!

3. robinb9

robinb9 Registered Member

I kinda figured that you were going to say that.
    Vista has enough of its own problems and so many programs are having problems working with Vista, so this doesn't surprise me at all.

Superantispyware had a problem with Vista in its beta. Nick figured it out with the hundred of testers before he released the final but it still has a slight problem with the UAC and they are working on this as we speak to fix this.

Adaware 2007 has many problems with Vista. They pulled their Vista logo off their main site I guess until they figure it out.

Spybot search and destory 1.5 has numerous problems on vista too.

"What an operating system" Microsoft really should have waited before they released this one. No wonder they are working on a new one for 2009- this one really sucks.

robin

4. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Don't think it's right to throw it all on Vista now. There is enough software around....including AV software, that's performing just fine.

5. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

I have had no problems with any software since I got Vista in January 07. Every software I have on my computer works. I have tested 10 different antiviruses since I got Vista and they all work. Do NOT blame it all on Vista! I have SUPERAntiSpyware which works flawlessly on Vista, it is ONLY AVG 8.0 I have had problems with, and then it's probably AVG's fault that it does not work on Vista. It has been reported problems on XP to, so don't come with your "it's all Vista's fault" bullshit. If AVG 7.5 works on Vista, then AVG 8.0 should work. And in this case it does not, I blame AVG.

If I sound a little angry, then no, I'm not. I'm just tired of all who blame Microsoft for very little problem. It is a good chance that the problems are casued by other software vendors to. Bad and lousy programming by software vendors is the biggest problem.

:) <-- This show happiness.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  6. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I never had a problem with AVG 8 IS slowing down my computer, running XP Home. My problem was that the firewall couldn't pass the ShieldsUp test at grc.com. I just installed the new build, and the firewall now passes the SheildsUp test. Way to go AVG. :thumb:

7. Diver

Diver Registered Member

I read the thread, and you are impolite and angry over very little, to say the least.

8. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I'll leave this alone , I just thought your 'fanboy' statement was incorrect and not needed on those who had commented,

9. Green Giant

Green Giant Registered Member

Thanks for your posting Graystoke! I hadn't realised until your message that the latest version of AVG Internet Security 8.0 released today cured the previous problem shown at Steve Gibson's Shields Up. Relieved that the firewall now appears to work as it should.

10. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Build 87 has improved the LinkScanner a little bit, my PC feels better while browsing the net now :D

11. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

good news I'll try to reload it tonight...

12. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

You're welcome Green Giant. Yeah, it was good to see AVG 8 fixed it's firewall so it would pass the the ShieldsUp test. That was my only negative point. My computer hasn't been affected by the slow downs issues that others seemed to be having.

13. robinb

robinb Registered Member

as said they are working on it
    and again i have no problems with it on xp just vista
    robin

14. robinb

robinb Registered Member

I can understand you are angry, so am I, but many programs do have problems on Vista. I belong to so many newsgroups and forums not just here and i look at all posts and complaints about Vista and how programs that worked flawlessly on XP do NOT work on vista and I have tested so many of my own that worked great on xp but will not run on vista and their logo says it is built for Vista but it still has problems.

Take a look at Lavasofts main site. It used to have the Vista Logo here saying Adaware 2007 was good to go for Vista. Guess what? it is not there anymore and I read somewhere that they pulled it because so many people were having problems with it running on Vista.

Adaware SE was an excellant antispyware remover but Adaware 2007 has problems on many for XP too and worse for Vista.

So don't tell me Everything works on Vista and I should not blame the OS.

I actually only have Vista because I have a business and need to know about the OS and how to use it so I can explain it to my clients.

There is no way I am taking my network of XP computers and converting them to Vista at this time until I see a major improvement in Vista.

Also Microsoft is supporting XP for at least another 3-4yrs, and what I have read for the reason that Vista is so quirky at this time.

And yes Grisoft should have tested it more before releasing it, but unfortunately and I have seen this so many times from so many software companies, so many people have so many different programs on their computers and no one has an idea what is going to conflict or not. Not many just have Vista with nothing on it but the original OS. People put graphic programs on, other antispyware programs on, office programs on, etc etc and I get this impression when they test internally nothing is on but the OS and maybe a few small programs, so they have no idea what is going to happen or not.

robin

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  15. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Yes, of course there are some programs that works on XP but not on Vista. But when I program does not work on Vista, everyone just blame Microsoft right away. Maybe the software vendor haven't testet it properly on Vista, and therefor it has problems. But then again, it can be Vista too, but I do know the software vendor still can optimize it better for Vista.

Again, maybe some are Vista's fault, but then again Lavasoft can also have something to do with it.

Lavasoft's bad developing.

I do not. :)

Support for XP for atleast 3-4 years? Because people are still on XP. Maybe there are some reason for this, but it is sure not only Microsoft's fault.

16. robinb

robinb Registered Member

The reason for this is because Vista is not the "all all" it was marketed to be and most IT people will tell you since XP is at least more stable than Vista right now, not many have switched, and I blame Microsoft for it. The only reason they pushed it out now was for $$$$$$$$$$$$$. I beta tested Vista from the gicko and so many of us told Microsoft it was not ready yet- but we are only peons in a pool of soup, why listen to us?

robin

17. Diver

Diver Registered Member

One of my points has been that AVG is fairly quick at getting new builds out, and so far there have been 2 since the release, and I expect further improvements.

One thing that I am wondering about is how the link scanner works. If it is contacting a server to check each URL, that is going to slow things down, no matter what. The question becomes how much is too much of a slow down.

As for Vista vs XP, there would be no end to the argument about that one. As far as XP support goes there is one more year of mainstream support and 5 more years of limited support. That means no updates for things like daylight savings time date changes after a year, security updates only.

I have actually seen at least one security program, Avira, run better on Vista than on XP. It may be some of the drivers on my XP setup, or that I run as a limited user.

18. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

XP wasn't stable at the release either, but it all got loved by the people after some years. Vista is just one year old, and have still many years to go.

AND we told AVG 8.0 wasn't ready for release, but did they listen to us? No, as the same as Microsoft didn't. So I blame AVG.

19. oma53

oma53 Registered Member

I have installed the latest version of AVG (8.0.87) and I still cannot connect with my Yahoo account with Link Scanner and Web Shield enabled.
    I can log onto my mail account and it will state that I have x number of emails. When I try to read them I get the following error.
    “Your Login Session Has Expired”
    I get this error immediately.
    I can disable Link Scanner and Web Shield and connect and read my mail with no problem, but I would prefer not to have to do this every time I want to read my mail.
    Anyone else having this problem?
    This is on a fresh install of XP Pro with no “tweaks” or modifications.
    Thank You.

20. oma53

oma53 Registered Member

I have found the problem with not being able to read my email in Yahoo with AVG 8.0, on my system anyway.
    I have repeated this over 10 times now and I will keep checking.
    Under the privacy settings in ZA Pro, if I turn off the Cookie Control, I can read my mail every time. If I set the setting to Med or Hi, the site is blocked.
    No problem with ZA until I installed 8.0.
    So,,,is this an AVG problem or a ZA problem?

21. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Vista is fine nothing wrong with it all my programs are compat!

22. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Running Vista SP1 for two weeks here without any problems. There is definitely a disconnect between the articles about why Vista is not being adopted by enterprise customers and the experience I am having.

Folks who bought Vista preloaded a year ago definitely had problems. A year later we have the service pack and many improved drivers. The Intel 945GM and 3945abg drivers from windows update work flawlessly on my machine.

Some of you just need to be patient with AVG 8. I am sure they will get it sorted out soon.

23. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Has anyone noticed all the AVG 8.0 updates listed in System Restore? I had one to three listed each day I had it installed. 11 of them all totaled in only 5 days.

24. Diver

Diver Registered Member

That is not a bad thing. Several AV's update several times per day, nearly every day.

25. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I agree Diver, but do they make a system Restore Point? I remember Windows Defender was doing this some time back, but for a different reason. I wonder why AVG 8.0 is doing this with apparently every update?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.