AVG 8 Free Launches

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Delgado, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

so all the http traffic is scanned for malware before it reaches your browser's cache, just like a 'web scan' feature?

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

No http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition. Would have been nice those for those of us that use that feature.

Edit: To avoid confusion, I believe the "safe surf" ability is their version of a web scanner, which the free version does not contain per the page I linked.

3. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Well I would like to say yes,but would not soley depend on it, where I see No proof that it has scaned every thing.Maybe some others here could shed some more light on the matter.

4. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I see. They confuse things a bit :cautious: Thanks

5. Dark Shadow

So the link scan just validates the link Is ok? and safe surf or web scanner checks under the hood so to speak for all content?

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well, from the way that it's described on that page I linked yes. I am thinking that the free version provides a SiteAdvisor/Finjin-type ability in its "Safe Search" function (perhaps stronger scanning than these maybe), and the "Safe Surf" feature does the scanning as you actually surf pages. I don't know that for a fact it does, but I am hoping that the "Safe Search" feature does not rely as heavily on users as does SiteAdvisor and the like.

Edit: Not sure if this helps or not http://free.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-1241#faq_1241. I have not found out just what the link scanner relies on to determine its findings, so I'm a little confused about it. Per this page, it also scans URLs that you type in, seems like a "web-scanner" to me.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  7. Dark Shadow

Ok thanks, now that you mention it kinda does remind of finjin.

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I believe the answer may lie here: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2286328,00.asp.

Per the article, "New in this version, AVG Free includes a light version of LinkScanner. Each time you make a search at Google, MSN, or Yahoo! it will check every link and flag any that are dangerous. Unlike SiteAdvisor, which runs weeks-long tests to rate Web sites, LinkScanner works in real time. If hackers have infiltrated an innocent site and added malicious exploit code, LinkScanner will catch the problem right away."

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Although I am not especially happy about the end to my "lifetime" license, I have gotten my money's worth, and am pleased that Grisoft has provided such an excellent AV as a freebie.
    It is the most used AV among folks that I personally know. If not Norton or McAfee then it is AVG free.

Since I am using a suite that is among the best, and have never had a single hit from any other application I will probably give my AVG license away to one of my friends.
    I might wait until KIS 8 is out and I see if it runs well for me.
    Regards,
    Jerry

10. gaslad

gaslad Registered Member

AVG 8 would not install, even after uninstalling AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5. I kept getting messages that ewido was still installed.

Even after searching out and deleting any file with ewido, AVG, or Grisoft in the title, and rebooting, still got the same message. Finally was able to install after deleting all registry references to ewido in regedit.

I unchecked the option to install the toolbar, but it attempted to install anyways. Had to use WinPatrol to block that end-run by AVG. I wonder just what part of "No" that AVG install wizard didn't understand?

More than enough reason to uninstall for me!

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Oh.. I was overlooking it. Found it now.

IMO antiRootkit protection is very important now a days. More and more malware are using rootkit techniques.

12. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Please notice that the "AntiRootkit module" is only used for detection of already installed rootkits (on-demand). The "resident shield" will detect rootkits by signature and will prevent them from installing. In terms of resident protection the free version will protect you as well as the paid version. Also there are enough free on-demand rootkit scanners.

~Off topic links removed. - Ron~

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2008
  13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I thought free version totally lacks rootkit signatures. What,s the source of this info by you?

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Yes, please do show where it says rootkit detection for the free version so there is no confusion as to what the free version can and cannot do.

Edit: Perhaps you meant the "Linkscanner" ability in the free version will detect rootkits on a website before they can be downloaded? If so, I believe that would be a function of a web scanner, which AVG's Linkscanner does not seem to represent itself as.

15. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Rootkits are just a subclass of trojans, and detected as such. What's YOUR source of info?

The AVG Anti-Rootkit tool never had rootkit "signatures" anyway in the first place; all it does is detect hidden objects. You guys are getting all confused between detecting active and non-active rootkits. AVG Free doesn't have the former. It does the latter just fine.

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Signature detection is not crippled in any way (unlike in version 7.5).
    So this means it'll detect rootkit files as well (not active ones).
    What free version lacks is detection of active rootkits.

17. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Though overall the features are quite good, it appears AVG 8.0 Free still lacks a Web Shield module. It does detect non-active rootkits, but I would have appreciated the free version getting Web Shield as well. But I guess its asking for too much :)

18. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

Sorry to hear that you're affected by that. That's of course a bug in the installer and will be hopefully be fixed soon. We know about this bug already and are sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,
    Vinzenz

19. jdenton

jdenton Registered Member

Why would you want a Web Shield? o_O

Most instances I've seen are nothing but trouble. Many people seem to be uninstalling AntiVir v8's WebGuard, or taking more drastic measures such as downgrading back to v7.

20. robinb9

robinb9 Registered Member

Linkscanner is like Maccafee's Site Advisor but better. When you go to a search engine like Google- you will see a Green, yellow, grey or red star like circle at the end of the wording on the first line. This will tell you if it is ok or not to go to that web page.

robin

21. Dark Shadow

Has anyone tried or trying safe surf version? How are web browser speeds?I assume here its the same as web guard just worded different.

22. jdenton

jdenton Registered Member

I just downloaded the new AVG free version yesterday (which is why I'm here, the official forum doesn't make for much interesting discussion :D) and I don't notice any difference in browsing speeds. I don't think that the safety toolbar is the same as the web shield, because if they are then AVG is including two same things in the paid-for version, which doesn't make sense.

23. Dark Shadow

The free version has link scan only with the option of toolbar upon install.So I assum the paid version would be link scan,Safe surf,With option of toolbar, which too my understanding not the Same as link scan or safe surf.

24. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Great release for the free users. I wish i could disable the link scanner and auto updates without getting an esclamation mark on the tray icon, but it's ok. They 've kept it light cpu-wise, as in AVG's tradition and that's what's more important.

Great feel and looks and certainly the antispyware in the same engine is a big plus for home users.

25. Dark Shadow

Yes I agree,I love it so far.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.