Avg 8 Command line scanner??

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by peter7769, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peter7769

peter7769 Registered Member

Hi folks

i have internet download manager and ive tried everything to get the avg 8 command line scanner working with it so that it scans all downloads but i cant seem to get it to work, i have followed the instructions below from AVG but still no good

You can use AVG scanner within the 3rd party program scanning options. There is a difference based on your system architecture - x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit).

1. x86 architecture
    Use the AVGSCANX.EXE program with /scan=%file% /clean parameters: AVGSCANX.EXE /scan=%file% /clean
    "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\AVGSCANX.EXE" /scan=%file% /clean
    You can find the AVGSCANX.EXE program in the AVG program folder on your hard drive – typically C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8.

Please please can anyone help as i know sooner or later im going to download a file, forget to scan it and then end up with a nice virus!!

2. nameless

nameless Registered Member

When I use this command line, it works fine:

"C:\Program Files\AVG Anti-Virus\avgscanx.exe" /heur /arc /scan="%1"

Where %1 is whatever is being scanned. Some applications (e.g. WinRAR) want you to use %f there, others (e.g. Free Download Manager) require %file% or something else instead.

Note that the above points to a non-default installation path.

3. peter7769

Thanks for the reply, but i am still having trouble, i have attached a screen shot of download manager but i just cant work out exactly what to put in the boxes, please help if you can??

Thanks Pete

Attached Files:

4. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I don't use IDM but you might want to try removing the quotes from around %file% (i.e. change it from /scan="%file%" to /scan=%file%). It probably won't work, but it probably won't make it work any worse. :/ I know this sounds like a stupid suggestion, but I've seen a case where silly games had to be played with quotes, even when you'd fully expect them to be required. (I've even seen a case where you had to use a leading quote but no ending quote!)

Anyway, you say it's not working. But what, exactly, is happening? Are you getting an error? Is anything happening at all?

5. peter7769

Thanks, tried without the quotes, quotes at the start and quotes at the end but still no good, i dont get any error messages, it just downloads the file and thats it, i dont get any scanning messages.

6. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Peter, have you tried asking on their forum? link

7. peter7769

Hi,

yes i did look at this forum the other day but as it states..

"The AVG Free Forum has been created to provide users of AVG Free with a platform to share knowledge and discuss issues with other knowledgeable AVG Free users"

This forum is only for the free version of AVG, not the latest Paid for Version 8.

But thanks anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.