AVG 8.0 will not update

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bamaman66, Jul 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bamaman66

bamaman66 Registered Member

I cannot get AVG 8.0 to update. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it without any luck.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hey bamaman66,
    from the current information it will be hard for people to help.
    what error messages do you get when trying to update?

3. antivirus22

antivirus22 Registered Member

This may be a long shot but:

I have seen a few installations of AVG that would not update because of a firewall like zonealarm etc blocking the update module.

Or maybe a firewall in a modem/router etc.

check for hidden or forgotten firewalls etc.

4. bamaman66

It couldn't be my firewall since I have been using online armor all time and it has been working.

When I open it from the system tray the update manager shows "the connection failed". I then click on "update now" and it seems to be downloading updates. Update failed appears and it says the connection with the server has failed.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

have you checked the program list in online armor to make sure its not blocking avg updater?

6. hex_614

hex_614 Registered Member

allow your firewall to update avg 8.0 . or try to re install the program, download the latest program from www.avg.com

7. bamaman66

All programs in online armor showed allowed. I then disabled online armor and my update worked. I then rebooted my computer and my AVG update manager showed connection failed.

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

With that known, perhaps We can consider moving this to the firewall forum so as to receive Online Armor support from those that visit that forum ?

Perhaps they could take a look at your rules if there's a way to show what you are using ?

9. bamaman66

I removed and reinstalled online armor and my AVG update is working now.

10. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

The update isnt as smooth as 7.5 I'm still using 7.5 as it's supported till Dec, hopefully by then it will be as good :rolleyes:

11. bamaman66

My problem it seems was online armor. I removed and reinstalled it and my AVG updated fine. I went to programs in online armor and it did not show any programs it was blocking but evidently it was blocking.

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Maddawgz,
    Hate to break this to you and/or anyone else reading this post. If you have the AVG 7.5 paid version, it will be supported until Dec. 31st, 2008. If you have the AVG 7.5 Free Edition, support ends on August 31st, 2008.

http://freeforum.avg.com/read.php?12,136697,backpage=,sv=

13. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Phewww wipes brow got paid pro one.

14. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

...at which time (Dec. 31) paid AVG must go to version 8 no problems right?

I have an AVG, 2 year license disk in the box I recently purchased. I guess one of the few remaining around. It will go on PC 1 when trial McAfee ends. :doubt:

15. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

mercurie,
    Because you have a recent 2 year license, I suggest you contact AVG Technical Support and see if you could transfer that license to the new AVG 8.0 right now instead of waiting until the end of the year.

Regarding your "no problems right?" comment which is unheard of in today's software, AVG, to their credit, has been and is working to resolve a few thorny issues:

AVG Search-Shield component modification in program version 8.0.138
    AVG Toolbar may not be compatible with Mozilla Firefox 3.0.1

before their version 7.5 support (paid and free) expires and if you are going to make the switch, make sure to follow How to install AVG 8.0 over AVG 7.x or AVG Free.

16. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

JRViejo,
    Thanks for the links. By the way the OE trial I spoke of above has less then 60 days left so I will load my AVG long before the end of the year. ;)

My main reason for holding out is to give myself maximum time to allow AVG software engineers to iron out problems which have been spoke of widely here at Wilders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.